1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If the Chevrolet Volt was a Toyota - how much of a premium would you pay to own it?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by eddiehaskell, Aug 16, 2009.

1. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard a lot of talk about the financial sensibility of driving the Volt and the resulting opinions that go back and forth. Regardless, lets leave all bias against GM aside. If Toyota made the Volt and it could legitimately go 40 miles without gasoline, how much of a premium over the Prius would you pay to own it? To give us something to work with, lets use a 5 yr cost of ownership.

Here is what I've come up....

'11 Prius = $27,000 (lets say a IV to guesstimate equal equipment)
    Plug-in = $40,000

Difference = $13,000

With a 5 yr residual value of 50%:

'11 Prius = $13,500
    Plug-in = $20,000

Difference = $6500

--------------------------------------

$13,500 - $6,500 = $7500

Lets say the energy savings is something like $2,500 over 5 yrs...

$7,500 - $2,500 = $5,000

So, assuming you can afford the purchase price of both, both fit your needs and most other things are equal - would you shell out an extra $5,000 for the plug-in? If so, how would you justify the extra cost? The pleasure of driving the latest tech? Reduced emissions? Image? Coolness?

Comments?

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I would not pay much of a premium at all. From what I feel, the Prius came with no-to-very little 'premium'. Although that's not what the anti-Prius articles claimed, still my opinion. The car companies will either make the vehicles we WANT at a price we can AFFORD or they will be sitting on the lot unsold. (We want a cheap electric car and it's in their interest to make one) It's their job. They should do it right. I'm self-employed and do my job without a 'premium'. Now if I were interested in being an early adopter of new technology I may be willing to pay less than $2000 premium, but the tradeoff would be an extended warantee to alieve my trepidation of adopting a new technology. That warantee would have to be, say, 200,000 miles bumper to bumper, and included in the purchase price.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    $0. I passed on a 2010 Prius because, IMO, it didn't significantly improve FE. My estimate is that the Volt will have a FE between a 2006 & 2010 Prius so I'm not interested in it as a 2nd car. If I have to replace my 2006 then I'm looking for the highest FE midsize hatchback. For a 2nd car I'm waiting for the Model S which seems reasonably priced and should hold its value.

4. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing. The hey-look-at-me-because-I'm-saving-the-world-by-driving-a-hybrid image does nothing for me at all. And I realize we're not really calling the Volt a hybrid so much anymore but it still kind of is.

I keep wondering how much money GM is going to waste with this whole - lets call it an extended range electric vehicle thing before it's all over. Simply calling it a hybrid wouldn't be good enough, they have to coin a whole new word or phrase to hype it up even more.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride." :D

If the Volt were a Toyota... :rolleyes:

then I would have won the Merlin State Lottery and I could buy a Tesla
    and keep my Prius to use on the scant few days of inclement weather in
    La-La land. :p

6. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None. I don't differentiate between Toyota and Chevy in terms of desirability. I feel the Volt is currently too much money, even given the tax credit. It's brilliant engineering that won't save the average driver any money. I'd not consider it any more if it were a Toyota. For me, it's a bridge too far right now; a leap I'm not yet ready to take. My new Prius 2 is a lot cheaper and more sensible for me at the moment. However, I hope the Volt stays around until GM can get the price down enough to move more of them and increase unaugmented battery range.

1 person likes this.
  7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nothing.
    The manufacturer is not by issue. Pure and simple, the Volt is an extremely limiting niche vehicle that does not fit my niche.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'd rather have a Chrysler turbine car.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Jeff, I agree with your entire post almost word for word. In fact over a year ago on a cool Oct. morning, I test drove (4 times and twice more as passenger) the pre-production volt on its cross country tour and then bought my 2010 Prius by the afternoon. Just too much $$$ to justify at my level. I'm glad for those that can as it's a very cool car.

11. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost took one out but I felt it would be a disservice to the dealer since I knew the price was well above what I was comfortable with. That's why I went with a low-end Prius but I much admire the Volt, especially from the accounts I've read of its seamless powertrain. Someone living in my area (Morris County, NJ) was the first in NJ to take delivery of a Volt from Gearhart Chevrolet in Denville, NJ. I gave it a longing lookover one morning when it was parked at the Gold's Gym in my town. Seems like a good car in search of more buyers. Hopefully, it will find some more soon so it can stay in production long enough to become almost mainstream.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The same, maybe a little more.
    For me it isn't a Toyota/GM issue. It is who builds the car that allows our family to save the most gasoline while meeting our driving needs.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can I fit all my gear in a Volt?

If no, no chance I would buy one at any price.

[​IMG]

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, there's something about a four door hatchback bodystyle, like the Prius, that make a lot of sense.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was reluctant to ask for a test drive since I had no intention of buying. But the salesman assured me that they wanted people to drive the car, regardless. Even if you won't buy, you will tell people about your experience. So I was wrong to be reluctant.

Of course, it helped that I gave rides in my Roadster to three of their salespeople. Still, tell them you are just curious, not going to buy, too expensive, don't need a car now; and see if they still offer you a test drive.

On topic:

Three years ago I'd have paid $50,000 for the Volt. I wanted to be driving electric, and before I bought the Xebra, my EV range in the Prius was about half a mile, and all of that was ultimately gasoline powered. I wanted to be able to drive electric to Coeur d'Alene and back, which the Volt cannot do from here, but with the range-extender I'd be able to make the drive mostly electric. It wouldn't have mattered whether it was GM or Toyota, though I'd have been happier and more comfortable with Toyota quality.

Two years ago I think I'd have paid your suggested $5,000 over the Prius. My Xebra was working beautifully for me, but I could not make the trip to C d'A in it, and that would have been worth it. Again, regardless of who built it, though I'd be happier with Toyota.

Now, I'm not interested in the REEV concept, so I will not buy either a Volt or a PiP as long as my 2004 Prius remains reliable. Again, doesn't matter who builds it. If something happens to my Prius, I'd probably buy another regular Prius. The PiP has no value to me when I'd only use it for road trips. That 15-mile EV range is meaningless on longer drives.

Maybe I'd pay $5,000 more if the car I did want was built by Toyota as compared to GM, because of my perception of the value of quality. Except that now I do own the two cars I want. And the car I might some day trade my Roadster for (when I can no longer get in and out of it due to age and arthritis) is about to be made by Tesla, not Toyota or GM.