1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If water is causing so many problems.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 20, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

If water is causing so many problems.....
    Should I be very very careful washing the Prius?
    Some of you report breakdowns and computer glitches due to water going where it is.
    I wash my car about once a week. Should I pay special attention to the flow of water to specific parts or can I wash as normal?

I only ask because some of you report that rain water causes the Prius to malfunction....

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

just wash it as usual, don't spray water on the engine and if your's is subject to the hood seal recall, get it done.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That and use a high quality bottled water. Imported is best but you can use domestic if that's all that is avaiable.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey hdrygas, Didn't you get that complimentary jug of Japenese water with your car?

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the mornings, water fairies scamper through my yard collecting the fresh dew and gathering it into water jugs. I use that water to wash Priapus with combed lamb's wool and then a chior of greek maidens dry him with virgin cotton towels.

Isn't that what everyone does?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. I think I've washed mine twice in 7 months. Maybe three times, but I think twice. I use the coin-operated spray and brush place. It's a car, folks. In a decade it's gonna be obsolete. I'll wash it again before winter, and then it's gonna have to wait until spring.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"40786)</div>
    So, you're saying you outsource all the work? :mrgreen:
    [hr:22226c7cd9]
    BTW, the original poster asked about "water" causing all sorts of problems (I assume with the Prius).

I'm unclear how this rumor came about -- there are a lot of Prii in Seattle, getting wet every day (like everyone and everything else), and working just fine.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I wash the car weekly and have had no problems. I have noted that the lid of the large fuse box close to the electric motor gets covered with water droplets, but ithe seal is apparently water tight.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A distilled water rinse should leave no water spots :_>

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think macreative might be refering to a known situation in which water can find its way into the engine compartment. Here's a thread talking about it. I'm sure there are more, but this one should give you the gist:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...3640&highlight=

The problem is supposed to be resolved with an SCC. Someone can provide the appropriate number.

If they have identified the problem and released an SCC to fix the ones on the road, it's a good bet that they've long ago implemented the fixes on the assembly line.

So short answer: water shouldn't be posing problems to Prii anymore.

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an early build Prius and have not had ONE campaign/TSB issue addressed. Why? Can't find a decent service center on Long Island. I've just had normal maintenance. I drove through the remnants of Ivan in moderate to heavy rainfall for six hours this past Saturday. Not one issue. My spin? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I know others will disagree.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jason: One of the SSC's addressed an issue where error codes cannot be properly read by the scan tool. This problem in itself will not cause a malfunction in the car. But if, at some time in the future, you do have a malfunction, the technicians may be unable to find the cause because they cannot pull the error codes. They might then deny responsibility for repairing the malfunction because you neglected to have the SSC performed. Of course, it's your car and your choice.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"40860)</div>
    Yep fire up the old sour mash kettle between runs and do a little distilled water.

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wash my car weekly at local DIY car wash and, No problem. Local Toyota dealer use carwash. Just like everyone say dont wash engine bay

15. pino

pino Junior Member

I wash the engine and the underside of the hood every time I wash my wife's Prius. No problems at all.
    For some reason the underside of the hood (the painted portion), the uppermost part of the grille (that is concealed by the hood) and the fuse box and inverter cover seem to get very dirty between washes.

It's a car. It's designed to get wet. (To a point, of course)
    As with everything else, just use common sense and moderation.

Enjoy your Prii everyone!

Pino

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

With all due respect, is washing the underside of the hood and the engine everytime you wash the car a good example of common sense and moderation? I wipe the underside of the hood and parts of the engine with ArmorAll cleaning wipes, but I am certainly not going to sprat water in there.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"41131)</div>
    I agree there are power thingies in there and I will not get it steam cleaned or washed. I wash the out side, if I needed it I would get the hood seal up grade, it only makes sense. Be prudent and use imported bottled water your car deservers the very best, or go to one of those spray places.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is *not* designed to get wet! The drive compartment is carefully designed to keep water out. Opening the hood and deliberately spraying water into the compartment is very foolish. See p.261 of the owner's manual. Also, TSB 40E exists to correct a faulty hood seal in early builds (the dirt you see may indicate that your car needs TSB 40E performed).

19. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I keep drinking the bottled water before I make it out to the car. :lol: So I bought the Mr. Clean car wash kit. The filtered rinse works great and I don't even have to hand dry the car now. It air dries spotless! So now the bevy of virgins that dried my car are now utilized for more interesting ventures. :mrgreen:

20. lucyjeanne

lucyjeanne New Member

Greek maidens drying our precious Prius......Too funny

:lol: That was the funniest and best response I have read in a while. You cracked me up!! (Of course, I believe everything you said is the "gospel" truth......)

Too funny. I take my Babe into the drive through car-wash every few weeks to keep it in its "pristine" condition... (I do not think Daniel is into "pristine" condition. He is being so logical and practical.... Calling my "child"-- "just a car! I put a blanket over the car to cover its ears, Daniel-- so it could not "hear" your mental thoughts........ Heavens to Betsy. "Just a car....." Thanks for the laugh! You all are FUNNY!!!!!!