1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If we don't limit population growth, isn't being environment just a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 21, 2008.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Environmentalism advocates a litany of things that we should do. Conservation, being clean, recycling blah blah blah. Population growth however is something that is rarely discussed. It's the 10 elephants in the room if you will. Obviously, we're going to have to address it. In America it's not even a consideration.

When China implemented the one child policy, it's criticized by America as non democratic and in spirit not human rights friendly.

Nonetheless, even if we reduced our TOTAL consumption(energy, raw materials, foods, water, etc...) by 50% per capita(and that ain't going to happen in our lifetimes); if the population grows at a doubling rate per generation, all that environmentalism/conservation will just keep us at our current state of consupmtion. Green growth, smart growth, environmental growth, whatever you want to call it is growth which in the end will be the end. Bottom line, if we don't start controlling/halting population growth in lieu of steady state non growth(especially in America), then all other efforts is just moving furniture around on the the deck of the titanic. Please, tell me why I'm wrong.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish you were wrong. Yes, population growth is a huge problem.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't. I see no point to contest.
    I also have no asnwer as to how you would implent such a plan other than mass guilt trips to the whole world. Best you can do is have child tax credits stop at 1 child, but I don't think many people have kids strictly for the tax break. I know I didn't.

4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. It's all about unrestrained population growth. It boils down to that.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In terms of growth. We're no better or worse than bacterium in a bottle of broth. Little did the bacterium know that when it only occupied 1/8 of the bottle, it was only 2 doubling generations away from doom.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that various effects of national/societal development lead to a reduction in national birth rate. If those currently positive effects are combined with a reduction in consumption then we may have a reasonable chance at creating a sustainable society. The most important of these factors is empowerment of women, social security, and a reduction in infant/child mortality rates.

High birth rates and high consumption are obviously the worst possible causes of environmental degradation but it's not always claer cut as it seems it's definately not practicle to pose bans on limits on children creation.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given a choice between a guilt trip and starvation, which would
    you choose?
    If the curve can't naturally crest soon enough, the volunteer
    euthanasia centers will have to open up.
    _H*

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Realize that modern birth control has only been around for less than a couple of generations. From when I was born to now, the size of american families has really decreased. As countries economic status improves, the birth rates go down. (Japan is on the down side of the peak.) China's program has worked to some extent. Those that can choose how many children to have rarely choose to have as many as possible.

It may not be as bleak as an initial look would indicate.

11. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hate to get involved but the typical American family has 1-3 kids. Now, Put into consideration all of the immigration that is going on plus all the ethics that come with immigration and hmongs, Hispanics, Mexicans and ect like to have a lot of kids. Generally they have like 7-10 kids per family.

I don't know... I tend to think that people in general worry way to much these days about something out of there control.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Until those families make it into the U.S. those 7-10 kids (slightly exagerated) do much less environmental damage than the average 1-3 U.S. children. Once in the U.S. they may increase their consumption rates due to lifestyle changes and create more pollution and exacerbate resource scarcity which is why consumption should be seriously taken into account. Population is only 1 part of the environmental impact equation. :)

If we didn't worry about these things we'd end up like every other large civilization throughout history, collapsed and in the history books. We are trying to avoid that fate.

13. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like China? LOL

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean. :)

15. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Over populated....

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Global warming and disease will take care of the world's overpopulation. Nature always seems to find a way to balance things out.

Perhaps we'll have the equivalent of the Black Plague to take us down 50-75%.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, yeah and destroying their environment to the detriment of all. Yup :) Haha

Godiva, I believe that with over 6 billion people on this planet we would need an even larger bottle-neck to reduce the population enough so that the rule of exponents doesn't replace our numbers too quickly. If we only dropped to 3.25 billion people we could recover to 2008 levels within 20yrs or less unless the whole world is cast back into the dark ages because we are so overspecialized that those people who survive cannot fend for themselves. lol

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Historically, an increasing standard of living very reliably leads to a drop in birth rate. Population is on course to peak around nine billion in the second half of this century. Supporting nine billion people at a Western standard of living even with a European/Japanese standard of energy efficiency will require increasing world energy consumption by a factor of at least four. That will be impossible using fossil fuels: if we try, it will likely create a global warming disaster, and in any case at that rate all known fossil fuels would run out within a hundred years or so.

Economic and environmental justice both require replacing fossil energy sources with all available non-fossil energy sources including nuclear, wind, and Solar, ASAP. There is still a little time to choose to do this in an orderly fashion.

19. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If anyone wants to read a really good book about this, get a copy of "Plan B 3.0" by Lester Brown. Really interesting stuff. He must have a Prius, too, because he mentions it several times in the book.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $10/gallon of gas will be palliative of the human growth problem. $20/gallon will be curative.