1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you hate Elon Musk, you also hate this

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 24, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Bob Wilson

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure about the syllogism, but yeah, the brain implant is cool.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No different than those who claim they will never drive a Tesla because they disapprove of Elon Musk.

I have no problem with "I will never buy TSLA stock because of Elon Musk." Unlike a car, rocket, tunnel, humanoid robot, or brain implant, stock is a choice, an advocacy that you like what Elon does and want him to do more. Those products make our lives better (or less bad says this skeptic.)

Bob Wilson

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah saw about that brain implant. If I "hate" Musk, I also hate this innovation/invention? I'd like to think my reactions are a little more measured.

The way he keeps lobbing objects into space I find a little tiresome. And I do "hate" the Tesla concept of a dashboard.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It turns out those objects, especially Starlink, is now allowing images from a vehicle in reentry:
    [​IMG]

As for the Tesla center screen, I remember objections to the Prius centered screen too. Still, there are plenty of traditional alternatives.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I can hate the unethical methods used for the development, and still like the result.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't hate musk, but i dislike some of his statements and points of view.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unless he apologizes and explains how he was wrong on the things making people dislike, not necessarily hate him, no change. He is the guy with the money to hire the people who do the experiments. Apparently his rushing the process caused unnecessary suffering and death of test “monkeys.”
    Need to add Mr. Musk has his right to free speech. I try not to get involved with things like this, but I did anyway. Maybe he feels the same way.
    "Who else is working on brain implants?
    Neuralink is far from the only group investigating this idea. Many academic groups and commercial start-ups have already run human trials and succeeded in correctly interpreting brain signals into some kind of output.

One team at Stanford University in California placed two small sensors just under the surface of the brain of a man who is paralysed below the neck. Researchers could interpret the man’s brain signals when he thought of writing words with a pen on paper, and convert them into readable text on a computer.”

#8 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Trollbait likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Kind of reminds me of two or three decades ago, when there started to be symbolic math programs commercially available for your personal computer, and the two prominently talked about were Mathematica (from a company Stephen Wolfram named after himself) and Maple (from years of team development by mathematicians led at U Waterloo in Ontario).

The publicity for Mathematica leaned pretty heavily on extolling the singular genius of Dr. Wolfram bringing Promethean fire to the masses, and Maple just described itself in less grandiose terms as a big team of mathematicians building a symbolic math system you could use.

Both systems pretty much worked and would do what you wanted them to. There were discussions, like this one from 2002, comparing them:

Maple or Mathematica

Maple was the one that appealed more to me, just because the "singular genius, hey it's all me" style of promotion has really never been super attractive to me. When there's another product that can do the same stuff and comes from an experienced team with smaller individual egos, I tend to think that'll be ok for me.

That said, as far as I recall, it was only the fuss being made over Wolfram's technical genius that I found a bit off-putting. I don't remember him getting into vile comments on social issues or anything like that. Maybe he did and I didn't hear about it.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is common enough in our species. I won't toss the first stone.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is good. But somehow, Musk seems to be a lint magnet for criticisms by those unwilling or incapable of making the products and service he does.

Bob Wilson