1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you have a cargo liner, is it more difficult to get access to the storage area below?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by eidling, Nov 29, 2013.

1. eidling

eidling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In its stock condition, one lifts the rear carpet and there is a sort-of hinge one lifts to gain access. Is there much of a difference if one uses a cargo liner, such as Weathertech? I use that storage space regularly and am considering getting a cargo liner....

thanks

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes you have to move the liner which is a little clumsy

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The WeatherTech liner is light and flexible; I don't find lifting it a bother, but then I'm not frequently in and out of the storage area.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're just accessing the rear most compartment, the liner can be folded back. If you want to access both compartments, the liner needs to be removed. Its not a big deal if the rear seats are down, you just slide it forward and out of the way. This assumes you are actually talking about the Prius wagon and not the hatchback, I don't know what its like in the hatchback.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a Weathertech cargo liner.
    I like it. Fits perfectly, looks great.

First of all, if needed you can remove the whole thing very easily. In other incidences where you might just want to access the storage below, it is very flexible so I don't find it to be a problem at all, I can just flip it up and open the space below.

It's waterproof and very durable. Spendy, but I would recommend it, if a liner is important to you.

If economic frugality is important, there are cheaper options, that might offer close to the same results.

I made a cargo liner for my Honda Fit by just going to Home Depot and buying some indoor/outdoor carpet material. I think it cost me all of $8.

PS.

I justified the purchase of the Weathertech liner for The Prius on the basis of the battery being in the back. Having something that is waterproof and resistant to anything spilling in the back seemed to be more important.
    If The Prius was just a regular station wagon or hatch back....I probably would of just made another trip to Home Depot.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Likewise, it is the idea of protecting the battery location from sloshing fluids that made the WeatherTech economic decision easier.

7. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the WeatherTech, also. Price wasn't too bad considering I got $50 for the WT liner that came out of my brides Lexus RX, which we traded for the v5. The liner would be quite easy to remove, if need be. Don't let that be part of the decision process. You want more back there than just another floor mat.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I keep a set of 3 practice golf clubs, a large umbrella, a better wheel lug nut removal tool than comes with the car, a shower curtain to kneel on, a half dozen golf balls, some miscellaneous tools, sprays, snow removal devices, etc in the compartments below the floor below the Weathertech. I keep the things I use frequently in the one nearest the rear and can one-hand the mat and lid to get at what I want quickly and easily. The stuff I use rarely go in the front most of the two compartments. The mat is so light, I can easily remove it. And if there is enough junk in the trunk, it would be a big deal to get at anything even without the mat. Love it. Had one in my CRV.

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put mine in this week. Looks great, and it's fairly light and easy to remove or just lift out of the way. We bowl in leagues, and during the winter the bags and wheels get fairly wet. Nice not having to worry about slush and water ruining the cargo carpet. I've never used the second storage compartment because it was a bit of a pain to get to with just the carpet there.

10. JasonW

JasonW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Weathertech liner fits great, and lifts up easily enough to get into the compartment closest to the door. If you need to get in the farther back one, you have to work quite a bit harder, and it's a lot more awkward. Usually, I'll just remove the liner for a moment if I need into the 2nd compartment.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've had the huskyliner so long I forgot about the OE carpet. It is a little more cumbersome to move out of the way, but well worth the protection in my opinion as well.

12. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The factory version is a 2 part mat so you can move the "lower" mat upward if you want to flip up the cargo area. Probably not as good if you want a continuous coverage as fluids can get between the two mats.

My 2013 Prius came with the mats as a dealer add-on. I didn't have much choice as I wanted a Type V option model and my dealer in PA had to swap with someone in MD to get it. They are a very sturdy, heavy rubber version so I'm not sad I have them. I swapped them in around Nov and I'm pleased. The drivers mats are very sturdy, have the standard toggle clip to hold them down and they're a good compromise between slippery and sticky feel on the foot.