1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured If you plan to buy an electric car, you should do it this month (Dec 2017)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you plan to buy an electric car, you should do it this month

If you're living in the US, and thinking about but still on the fence with leasing or buying new plug-in car, now would be a very good time to buy one. Aside from getting potentially great deals on them, because not many people want to buy a new car in winter time (at least in areas where snow shows and sticks around), and with it being the end of the calendar year, dealers may be motivated to push their remaining stock out before the new year.

Plus you won't have to wait very long to get the tax credit if you buy it new compared to buying one in January, then having to wait till next year. Used plug-ins don't qualify for it, but you still benefit indirectly because that tax credit also lops a sizable chunk off the resale value, aka it's artificially cheaper too.

Another reason, as mentioned in the article, is that the current US administration may decide to kill the tax credit off early. It's possible it may survive intact, since it's working as intended and will phase out soon for several automakers anyway, notably Tesla, GM, and Nissan.

But they might just decide those tax cuts to the rich and corporations have to be paid for somehow, and the plug-in tax credit is a very easy political punching bag, with critics painting it as a tax credit only for the rich, who then drive around in those fancy and expensive Tesla-mobiles that joe and jane middle class could only dream of owning.

If you want to get one, but don't have reliable charging, consider a plug-in hybrid like the Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion Energi, Honda Clarity (not the pure electric or fuel cell version), or Toyota Prius Prime. You can run them on gas, but if you find opportunities to charge them, they're very fun to drive on electric.

Hoping this doesn't get tossed into Fred's House due to the nature of the content. But I hope to see more plug-in vehicles being offered by many automakers, and more people worldwide buying them and seeing that they don't have to be completely shackled to Big Oil and OPEC anymore.

RCO likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually there are two tax credits:
    • $7.5k maximum based on battery size
    • $4.5k Prius prime
    • $10k commercial charging EVSE
    • $1k private charging EVSE
    Bob Wilson

3. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The EVSE tax credit expired 12/31/2016. It was not extended into 2017 that I am aware of. The credit amounts were (up Too) Maximum limits based on 30 % of total cost of installation. My EVSE equipment and installation cost for my VOLT was $1000.00 My tax credit was 30% of that or $300. To get the full $1000.00 credit, you would have had to have $3333.33 in installation expenses or more.

bwilson4web likes this.