1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If your browser has been bogging down, try Opera

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by richard schumacher, Feb 21, 2010.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More and more websites including Priuschat are becoming unusably slow with both Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Safari 1.3.2 on my eMac under OSX 10.3.9. As you might guess updates for them are not available. Happily, Opera 10.10 is supported and rapidly renders all websites I've tried that are problematic with the others. Opera is supported on a wide range of Mac and PC OSes. If you're having problems with another browser under old hardware or an old OS, give Opera a try.

One caveat: the Opera home page may correctly detect your machine configuration but download the wrong version of Opera (in my case it sent the binary for Intel, not Power PC). To avoid that go to their download page and pick the correct version manually:
    Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free
    After that everything went smoothly for me.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't tried Opera for a while. I'm using Firefox 3.5.7 and it seems ok except around 10:20 pm on PriusChat when I believe they are doing website maintenance. I started using Firefox because the Calif State Job Board (Home - Jobs.CA.gov by State Personnel Board) wouldn't work correctly under Safari. I like the auto password feature of Firefox and the Flash block plugin.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, agreed, I'd expect more recent versions of other browsers to work just fine. My post was intended for people who are stuck with older versions because of older hardware or older OS versions.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was fortunate to have bought a new MacBook Pro a few months before I lost my job. I paid off the credit card amount the week before they closed the company.

5. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Firefox because it is a little faster in my experience. I tried Opera but it does not have some of the functions I prefer.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Firefox 3 won't work on your machine?

Firefox is my default browser, but a few sites do not work properly with Firefox and then I use Safari. I have yet to find a site that would not work with either.

7. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been my experience that any time I put a new browser on, it is faster. It doesn't seem matter which way you go. It's more like the longer you use one, the more "stuff" (fonts, libraries, scripts, ...) it accumulates.