1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IG-On Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was sitting in the car for about 10 minutes waiting for the wife. At first I just put the car in park and let the engine (with A/C on) cycle on & off as necessary. After a few minutes I decided to shut the car and just place it in IG-ON mode.

Now my question: Will the engine continue to cylce on & off in the IG-ON mode to keep the main battery charged at an acceptable level?

Thanks! Marvin

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, the ICE can only cycle on in READY mode. You can drain the 12v in ACC or IG-On mode.

3. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evan, thanks for your reply. Doesn't the A/C run off the main battery and not the 12v battery in IG-ON mode?

Thanks, Marvin

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The A/C runs only from the traction (main) battery, but the point is that you can quickly drain one or both batteries in ACC or IG-ON, because the engine will not run to keep them charged. If you're going to be in the car just leave it ON, as though you were going to be driving it, and shift it into Park (NOT Neutral! The batteries don't get charged in Neutral). That way the engine will start as needed to keep everything charged up and the will car manage itself as it was designed to do. Of course you should not do this if you are parked in a completely enclosed space with no provision for removing the exhaust.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Grunthos

Grunthos Senior Azgoth Poetmaster

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there's any way you could drain the traction battery in IG-ON mode as it's only connected in Ready mode. You can prove this for yourself by putting the car in Ready mode and listening for the click of the relays coming from the back of the car. Then turn the car off and put it in IG-ON mode--you won't hear the relays click.