1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition coil trouble 2007?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hoopla, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hoopla

Hoopla New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius and it's in the shop and the techs are stumped -- the code said to replace the ignition coil, so they did that. They took it on a test drive and it died within two miles. They restarted it and brought it back to the shop. Took it on a 20-mile test drive and couldn't get it to die again, so they're giving it back, but not very confidently.

Any ideas? Here's what led up to this: Two weekends in a row, I got the "triangle of death" and check engine light. The car would hesitate and shudder and not really respond when I hit the accelerator. I'd have to pull over, turn it off and re-start it again to get home. After letting it sit, the warning lights would go away. Finally brought in in on Monday and now it's Wednesday and no solutions. Help!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What were the DTC codes?
    Does the Prius have an ignition coil??!!

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar problem, and had two coils and two plugs replaced. Apparently there's a design flaw with water getting in to the engine compartment and rusting out the electrics.

I'm not sure why yours would stop, Hoopla, after a coil replacement, but it's possible the problem lies with the other coil, or perhaps a plug. Or maybe one of the wires wasn't put back on properly the first time. If it's running smoothly now, let's hope it's fixed.

4. Hoopla

Hoopla New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't remember the code number, but it did indicate ignition coil. I mentioned the service bulletin that went out on 2005-2005 Prius' regarding the water getting in, but the tech said that problem doesn't seem to extend to 2007 models.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the code was DTC P030x (where x is the cylinder number) then the possible causes are:

Open or short in engine wire harness
    Connector connection
    Vacuum hose connection
    Ignition system
    Injector
    Fuel pressure
    Mass air flow meter
    Engine coolant temperature sensor
    Compression pressure
    Valve clearance
    Valve timing
    PCV hose connection
    PCV hose
    ECM

If the code was P035x (where x has the same meaning as above) then the possible causes are:

Ignition system

Open or short in IGF or IGT1 circuit between ignition coil with igniter and ECM

No.x ignition coil with igniter

ECM