1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Nixio

Nixio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I've owned my 2006 Prius for a little over a year now and have used this site many times to learn about my vehicle and help diagnose some issues in the past, but this new issue, I'm so lost on where to begin.

When i push the power button, instead of it going to Ready, it turns on all the dash lights but no ready light. I have to hit it a second time for it to go into Ready. Drives just fine no problems at all. But once I put it in park and hit the power button to turn the car off, instead of cutting off slowly like it normally does, it just cuts everything instantly, and has no power. Sometimes just opening the driver door with turn the car back on with no ready light but all dash light are on, sometimes it doesn't want to turn back on for a few mins but then only the dash lights. Then i just hit power again and it shuts off normally. I ran the vehicle fine for a few days just going through extra steps but then this eventually drained my 12v battery. I read somewhere on this forum that another person was having similar issues and it was their 12v battery going bad. Thing is, mine is less that a year old and i took it in to get tested just in case and they said it was still a good battery. I cant run for codes cause when i shut it off and it cuts power like that it resets all codes.

I've called all the mechanics in my area and not a single one of them will touch a Prius. I either got told no, laughed at or just straight up hung up on. I've also talked to a retired mechanic neighbor of mine about it and a couple people up at Nappa and I've been given a few suggested tests to do.

I've been given a multimeter to use to do some tests looking for a Parasitic leak (maybe?), possible relay went out or just the ignition button itself went out.

But before i started I wanted to see what everyone thinks on here about this issue and hopefully that all makes sense lol.

Thank you :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    are you near tampa hybrids?

sounds like maybe the combo meter, is everything working?

3. Nixio

Nixio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, I'm on the panhandle.

I've looked into that and all my dash lights are working fine, I'm not having any issue on that end. Its only happening during start up, I have to hit twice to get into ready, and during shut down it just straight up cuts power to everything. Drives fine with no other issues.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do the brake lights come on when you step on the pedal before pressing the power button?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you have a 12 V power problem. Does the clock reset to 12:00; the trip A and Trip B meters reset to zero?

When you disconnect the 12 V battery, these things (and others) reset. You must also press the Power button a second time to move the car to READY. The first press is as if you pressed the power button twice with your foot off the brake (i. e. IG-ON). This is normal behavior after a 12 V disconnect.

Brian1954 likes this.
  6. Nixio

Nixio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I put everything back together and did the drain test anyways since i had everything dissembled from testing the battery.
    It was jumping from 0.37 - 0.52 and spiked at 0.67 but not for very long. from what i understand as long it is under 5.0 for the most part then it is fine. I am assuming the 0.67 spike was just that one system that needs to charge and run a test, read this in another forum when i first got the car when i heard noises coming form the engine when it was off.

Yes they do, but found out my left one is out.

Yes everything resets when i lose power when i turn the car off.

Thank you for letting me know the double press on the car is normal at this point. I did not know this part.

bisco likes this.
  7. Nixio

Nixio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typo supposed to be 0.5

But I just got done talking to my mechanic buddy that lent me the multimeter and i had done this test wrong, I didn't let the number stabilize before writing it down and and i read the meter wrong. So ima try and do this again in next couple days. Not surprising though since its my first time using one of these things and doing it by myself based on youtube videos and word of mouth. Apparently during this test I'm supposed to be looking for a max of 0.05 draw not 0.5?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're looking for 16 to 30 mA (or 0.016 A to 0.03 A) it can spike occasionally to 50 mA (0.05 A) very briefly and as long as the draw is under 50 mA for the most part you can call it good.

Keep the key fob at least 3 feet away from the car so you don't wake the immobilizer. Do not open or close doors at any time while doing the observation; close all doors after you set up and before starting the test.

Looking at your power interruption problem, you need to make sure the clamps that connect to the battery are clean and tight. They should not be able to be moved by hand and should be opened fully then tightened using a socket or closed end of a box wrench. Check the other end of the negative cable is also clean and tightly attached to the car body.

#8 dolj, Jun 19, 2024 at 12:23 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024 at 12:28 AM