1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignoramuses driving/buying Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by member, Dec 11, 2006.

1. member

member New Member

People not researching what they're buying. At all. So far out of touch in fact, perhaps a GM employee?

from http://www4.shopping.com/xPR-2005_Toyota_P...RD-219502907012

It's a Matter of Personal Opinion
    by jen_nay6, Feb 1, 2006

Pros: looks nice, cozy, roomy

Cons: costly, not 100% reliable, not always gas saver

Author's Rating: 2/5 stars

Author's Review
    My husband and I invested in this car as gas prices were climbing, and as the distance he had to travel from home to work was getting farther and farther. We thought that it would save on money and would be a reliable car. Indeed, we were wrong on both accounts. It would stop running - completely shutting off - at stoplights, stop signs, yields, and the like. And, as far as saving on money, we had to pay so much for the car that we didn't save anything at all in the long run. My husband was having to fill up every day, and he drives about 100 miles per day, or a little more. It was, in our opinion, getting expensive. Depending on your driving conditions, and your personal opinion - it may or may not be the car for you. We ended up and sold the car to someone else who was very interested in having one - at any expense. He knew the problems we were having with it and said he wanted it anyway.

2. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow! The engine shuts off? LOL! That saves gas and emissions.

I'm not as in love with my Prius as many of you are. (I didn't realize the stereo completely lacked bass and depth when I tested the car even though I listened to a jazz CD in it.)

That person that bought it from them probably thought "'tards!" and bought the car at a nice discount with a smile. He or she is probably driving that same Prius around getting great gas mileage, etc.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait a minute - filling up at 10 gallons a day - even giving them the benefit of doubt and saying 8 gallons a day, at 100 miles a day? That's 12.5 MPG! What, were they starting it at every red light and stopsign? Even then... 12.5?!?!

I guess this answers the thread in another forum here, "Are humans stupid?"

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think 12.5mpg is possible. Seriously. I TRIED to get bad milage and floored it everywhere I went and drove 80+mph anytime I was on the freeway and I still got 37mpg (summer).

5. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Dec 11 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]360766[/snapback]</div>
    Mrs jen_nay6 and husband belong to that category that consider a flash-light a sophisticated piece of electrical wizardry. Bet they have problems running their blender. :lol:

Filling up daily? - was he driving in "B" :blink:

6. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

Anybody ponying up the bucks for a Prius solely to save money is missing the point. A $12,000.00 Yaris is going to be more cost effective and if that's all you care about, get the Yaris. I bought my Prius because every time I come to a stoplight I'm saving the world!

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read a story here or on PriusOnline about someone who bought a Prius and was getting terrible gas mileage. They brought it back to the dealer to complain to the salesman, who went out to the parking lot and pressed the Power button to turn the car off. They'd just been putting it in Park and leaving it.

8. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Dec 11 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]360766[/snapback]</div>
    This original post has all the earmarks of paid disinformation ("adverblogging").

Note the excellent English language skills and particularly note the well-plotted, nicely linear story line (from purchase to disappointment to disposal to a bigger fool). This is a well-crafted little parable.

Then note the gross stupidity regarding how the car works, the hugely implausible "facts", combined with just enough weasel words to prevent any legal action if it should be discovered that the poster was paid to write this.

So the writer appears both very smart and very stupid. That's unlikely. It's more likely that s/he was a paid disinformant. That's a growing trend. Really good adverblogging is subtle. So when I read something like this, my first question is, was this person paid to post this.

Also, imho, over the long run, the Prius will be a significant cost-saver for me. I wouldn't drive my family around in anything smaller. Of the cars I found acceptable, from that standpoint, the projected cost of ownership of the Prius was markedly lower than the alternatives.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Too funny. Has to be a joke.

10. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 12 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]360822[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the post really sounds like stealth marketing to me as well.

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Icompletely agree with Chogan. This is just pure BS. I believe one would have to be a moron to buy a Prius and then make the statement that it shuts off at stop lights, etc. When they divorce will they still be brother and sister? :(

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Dec 12 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]360836[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Just like their mom and dad.

I don't save any money on my Prius. I spend money on my Prius. I spent money to buy it and I spend money to drive it. And the more I drive the more I spend. If I had wanted to save money I'd have left the money in the bank. You save money by not buying things. You don't save money by buying things.

But I'm inclined to agree with earlier posters who suggest the entry was paid dis-information. Complaining that the car shuts off at stoplights is too stupid for anyone capable of using correct grammar. Note that her husband's commute is getting gradually longer. Is their house moving away from his workplace, or the other way around?

Note also, however, that if you click on All Reviews you get a very positive picture.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 12 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]360893[/snapback]</div>
    But then how would you get from point A to point B? Public transportation costs money every time you ride it. bicycles cost money, for the initial purchase, replacement tubes, etc. Even shoes cost money, and you're gonna wear them out eventually! Sorry, but i just couldn't resist... but there is a good point in there somewhere between us that there are much cheaper alternatives (both in the short and long runs) than the Prius.

14. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, has to be disinformation or a hoax. If someone were really so ignorant that they didn't realize that the car is supposed to turn off at stop lights (note that they never said how they'd get it restarted each time), you'd think that this, and having to fill up everyday after driving just 100 miles, would be an indication of a major problem and they would have taken it straight back to the dealer.

15. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree this person's opinion/post is hard to believe.

With that said, I've still have people question me about the Prius. One of the most popular misconceptions I have heard is under 35mpg is all electric engine and over 35mpg is all gas engine. I've had more than one person ask this of me when they find out the type of car I drive.

Granted, this poster was an owner, so they "should have" known better, but there's still a lot of ignorant people out there; Prius-owners too!

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It stops running at stop lights? Geez, there has to be something wrong with it, better take it to a dealer ASAP.

:lol:

Sounds like something Art Spinella of CNW Marketing Research would claim.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Actually, the English in this review is not flawless. The first sentence contains a punctuation error. In a list of related items, you never include a comma before the "and" when there are only two items in the list.

My guess on this one, either it is a joke or it is a case of stupid is as stupid does.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dang, I better get my car checked. I thought it was normal to have it shut off at a stop :lol:

20. wan

wan New Member

This is a joke, must be!

hmm :unsure: