1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ihit road debris

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dwp-wa, Dec 13, 2005.

1. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hit some kind of unseen debris in the road. Our 2005 priuswas not really damaged much. It left a small ding in the paint in front, knocked out left-side grille panel, and damaged the shield under the left front, so that it flew off and was lost.
    I only have to replace the left-hand part of the grill and the flexible shield.

It is interesting that it revealed a fog light socket. I see that it would be possible to upgrade our Prius to fog lights. We never wanted the HID lights. While the foglights actually are not much use in fog, they work great (on our other car) for driving in the rain in Western Washington State.

2. B.D.T

B.D.T New Member

Thats nice to know. I wonder if you could just buy a factory foglight setup and not have to run any wires? Still learning my new Prius so forgive the uninformed thinking.

Britt

:)

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have the fog lights installed in the same way as the factory ones they only come on with low beam head lights. When you turn the head lights off or go to high beams the fog lights go out.

I have foud mine are practically useless. If they would come on by themselves at least I could use them as day time running lights.

4. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is what the fog light socket looks like:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.southlake.net/prius-fog-socket.jpg
    Notice the knockout in the back.

I found a source for the fog light here:
    For light source

While I posed the question to this dealer, I really doubt that any of the fog light wiring is there. Modern production methods at Toyota do not seem to produce unused wiring.

I could get just the fog light assemblies, with their bulbs and bushings, and try to build my own wiring harness. However, the owner's manual warns that fog lights are not a self-service item, implying that special tools are needed? Or else, it could just mean removing the cover over the radiator?
    I am not sure I can spec out this idea before I have the damage to my car fixed.

The repair bill comes to $1005. The parts are not that expensive; there is just a lot of labor, replacing a lot of small pieces in a cramped area. The bumper cover was just damaged enough, so that the small left-hand grill will not stay on. Fortunately, there was really no damage other than the bumper cover, the small grill assembly, and the fender liner parts.
    Also, fortunately, my insurance company is paying for this without assigning any blame.

5. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I found the instructions for replacing the fog lights. Besides being time-consuming, it looks pretty expensive without warranty coverage:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.southlake.net/fog-replace.jpg