1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IIHS Crash Test Results for Prius Released

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Crash tests of small cars & minivans: 2 earn the Institute's TOP SAFETY PICK award; 1st Institute test results for Prius hybrid

IIHS News Release

PDF Format

Videos

First Institute test of a hybrid: The Toyota Prius was a good performer in the frontal crash test and, equipped with optional side airbags, also good in the side test. But it's rated marginal for seat/head restraint design, so it isn't a TOP SAFETY PICK. The movement of the driver dummy was reasonably well controlled during the frontal test. Although the dummy's head did hit the pillar between the doors and the roof rail, head accelerations were low. Other injury measures also were low, and the Prius's structure held up with minimal intrusion into the occupant compartment.

"The way a hybrid model earns the top rating in the frontal test is the same way any other car does," Lund says. "Its front structure has to crush to absorb crash energy, and it has to have a safety cage that stays intact so the safety belts and airbags can protect the occupants."

The Institute conducted two side tests of the Prius, with and without its optional head-protecting side airbags. Without the airbags the Prius earns the lowest rating of poor. The intruding barrier struck the driver dummy's head. Measures recorded during the crash indicate that a serious skull fracture and brain injuries would be likely to occur in a real-world crash of similar severity.

"The result for the Prius with its optional side curtain airbags was dramatically different," Lund says. "This time the airbag kept the dummy's head from being struck by the barrier, and injury measures all were low. These results show the importance of head-protecting side airbags in reducing the risks for car occupants, especially when their vehicles are struck in the side by a pickup or SUV."

Another important aspect of crashworthiness is how well seat/head restraints protect people from whiplash in rear impacts. The ones in the Prius earn the second lowest rating of marginal. They can be positioned high enough and close enough to the backs of most people's heads, but good geometry alone isn't enough to provide adequate protection from whiplash. Seats and head restraints have to work together to protect the neck, and the Institute's test indicates that in a real-world crash the seats in the Prius wouldn't keep the forces on the neck as low as in other vehicles.

When a vehicle is struck in the rear and driven forward, the vehicle seats accelerate the occupants' torsos forward. Unsupported, their heads will lag behind the forward movement of their torsos. This differential motion causes the neck to bend back and stretch. The higher the torso acceleration the more sudden the motion, the higher the forces on the neck, and the more likely a neck injury is to occur.

"If a seat is too stiff, without enough 'give' to it so a person sinks into it during a crash, then the head restraint can move back and away from the head. This can lead to higher forces on the neck, and whiplash injury is more likely," Lund notes.

For most vehicles with hybrid variants, the Institute's ratings apply to both the hybrid and conventional versions. These vehicles include the Honda Civic and Accord, Lexus RX, and Toyota Highlander. The Prius is sold only as a hybrid.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yep, here is the CNN story about it.

"The Toyota Prius hybrid car, when equipped with optional side impact airbags, got top marks for front and side crash protection in crash test results released Sunday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety." -CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/04/13/prius_...test/index.html

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 16 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]240734[/snapback]</div>
    Why go to CNN to read a report about a report when you can read the original at IIHS? Is CNN more credible? I don't get it.

4. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 16 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]240650[/snapback]</div>
    Just one more reason the side curtain airbags shouldn't be optional.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 17 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]240791[/snapback]</div>
    You don't need to get it. Just another source. Some people like to read stuff on CNN.com. That's where I first saw. I had actually been on the IIHS site eariler in tha day researching a new car, and it wasn't on there. I went to CNN and there it was.

More credible? No, but it was much more timely and easier to find than the IIHS site itself.

6. Mardikes

Mardikes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 17 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]240814[/snapback]</div>
    It is also nice to see how the mainstream press covers the story. Thanks. George

7. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They had a report about this on Dateline on Sunday. Anyone else see it? When they came to the Prius, the reporter had a weird comment about the Prius, something like, "The first so-called hybrid to be tested, the Toyota Prius......."

They also mentioned at the end that the Prius did really well on the frontal impact as well, but I am not sure if that was with the side airbags or not. The end also had a statement from Toyota saying that over 90% of Pri were sold with side airbags and Toyota was considering making them standard.

I for one don't see why the automakers aren't making these standard. The evidence just continues to mount on how much they improve safety. That was one thing we definitely wanted to get on our first new car, even if it wasn't a Prius.

It was said to see the Chevy Uplander got a marginal, even with side airbags.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice to see hard data showing that the seats in the Prius aren't the greatest, and the headrest positioning is really harsh.

I personally have the headrest turned around because the normal position gave me neck pains for a week (5'7").

9. IMHYBRID

IMHYBRID New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Apr 17 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]241108[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe Toyota has not done anything about the crappy seats in the Prius. I complained to Toyota about the seats in November of 2003. I have read many post about the poor seats and I'm sure Toyota has read about them too. "Toyota do something about the seats please!"

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why aren't the side curtain airbags standard? Because they cost money and they aren't required by law. at 90% it looks like it's harder to buy a Prius without airbags then with. I wonder if the 10% are for package 0, which has to be special ordered. I have a 2005 package #1 and it has side curtain airbags. In fact, that was my only must have.

I watched the Dateline piece with my parents, (well, Mom actually, don't know where Dad was) and when it was over I told her about the posts on this forum about people whose cars had been totaled and they basically walked away. The older they get the more they are concerned with my safety. After seeing the Dateline piece, I think my Mom is satisfied I am driving a very safe car.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Apr 17 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]241108[/snapback]</div>
    This is a true/false and unrelated statement.
    1)True: The seats aren't the greatest...probably pretty bad IMO.

2)False: "Headrest" positioning is not for a headrest...it is a head restraint designed to prevent you from getting whiplash in a rear-end collision. It is NOT intended for 'resting' your head on. If your seat back is positioned properly your head will never touch the head restraint unless you tilt your head backward several inches or the back of your head projects 3" further back than any other human.

3)Unrelated: Turning the restraint around is a safety hazard for you. In a rear end collision your head will deflect dramatically further back than the restraint was designed to allow. This can and would cause severe whip-lash pain in a best case and could result in fracture and spinal cord injury in a worst case. I very strongly urge you to place the restraint into the proper position and experiment with seat-back positioning until you find something comfortable without your head touching the head restraint. Rear-end collisions are far far too common and usually end in only minor injuries...but your reversal of the restraint could cause something much more severe and you have no way to prevent such a collision.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recall the issue of Prius crash safety came up last year when we had some knuckle-dragging Chevy trolls here. The EU NCAP (New Car Assessment Programme) tested the Prius over a year ago in their standard Offset crash:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=3&id2=193

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]241249[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Fusco:

Thank you for clearing up that important misconception!

jay

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]241249[/snapback]</div>
    doc:
    thanks for the really informative and interesting post. i never knew that stuff. i always wondered why my head didn't touch the headrest...

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I don't get is that why are cars relying on side curtains to get good side impact results? Whatever happened to having a good struture in the first place? Look at the Prius' rocker panel, it's bent. Look at an Acura TSX and its rocker panel is straight. Ok, the Prius got better marks than the TSX in side impact collisions but wouldn't it get straight "G"s if it had a good structure for side collisions too?

15. figmentor

figmentor New Member

I think it's very interesting that the press has nothing good to say about our Priii, like it is has been rated "most satisfied drivers" by Consumer's Reports. All I hear is the "extra cost of a hybrid will never ever be recouped in gas savings." That is just plain crap and we all know it. MAYBE in the Honda Accord, but not in the Prius!

Anyway, my comment was, while you are at it, Toyota, put a decent sound system in this thing! Anybody here ever drive a Mitsubishi?

Love my SHOKNAW, especially since it is warming up in Michigan (38 MPG all winter, about 45 MPG on this tank so far!)

16. Sam-I-Am

Sam-I-Am New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 17 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]241201[/snapback]</div>
    Just to add, package #2 (2006) also does not have side airbags, just some extra electronics.

17. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]241249[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect that doc is assuming 3" of human back padding. For those of us that have maintained our high school weight the headrest is in direct contact with the back of our heads. In my case it forces my head unnaturally and uncomforatably forward. 6'1", 150 lbs. Want better gas mileage? Add less weight! ;)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(figmentor @ Apr 17 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]241286[/snapback]</div>

That's true. if you go to theautochannel.com and look at their news. They say that the Kia Sedona and Subaru Impreza crash tests are out and they're top rated. They also mention the Prius with a bracket saying (not so good). Uh huh.. really now.. is that not biased or what? People who won't bother to read the article will just assume all Priuses have bad crash ratings.

19. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]241282[/snapback]</div>
    The bigger risk to occupants is from the intruding vehicle coming through the glass and causing head trauma. The integrity of side impacts protection systems in the doors is well developed since the 80's. ( I used to sell steel to the makers of these systems at that time ). But the advancement in protecting against head trauma is only 5-6 yrs old and is not universally in place.

To get straight 'G's a vehicle has to have a superior head restrain system.

This is a generational situation. Safety equipment is usually set up as standard equipment on auto's and is designed into the vehicle from the outset of the concept. The standard equipment on vehicles often is set for the life of that generation. options do vary. When in the middle of a generation a new demand or new requirement such as SAC airbags or active head restrains arises the standard equipment on vehicles often is not adjusted 'on the fly'. It may be incorporated into standard equipment of the next generation models; e.g. SAC airbags standard now on all '07 Camry's.

Look for SAC airbags and active head restraints to be standard on Gen3's.

Here is an interesting side note.

On MS/NBC yesterday morning an IIHS spokesperson was discussing these new tests and stated the Prius ( with SAC airbags ) did very well on the frontal and side collision tests but could improve somewhat on the rear collision tests, nevertheless it remained the third ranked small car in the IIHS ranking system.

This caused me to look at the ranking system. Replacing the G-A-M-P criteria with a 4-3-2-1 score, one can see that:
    the top two vehicles get scores of G-G-G or 4-4-4;
    the Prius in third gets scores of G-G-M or 4-4-2;
    the Cobalt in fourth gets scores of G-A-G or 4-3-4
    Doing well in the side impacts carries more weight for being ranked higher in the IIHS's eyes.

The conclusion I draw from this is that autos safety systems that can avoid/reduce the risk of one being severely hurt in a side impact is more beneficial to the insurance companies - who have to pay the claims. I will have to say that their best interests - not paying claims - is my best interest too - not being hurt. I'll ride in vehicles with SAC airbags, thank you/

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]241282[/snapback]</div>
    It's not the structure of the car in question with curtain airbags. When you ar ein aside inpact, the car is accelerated sideways. Your body'd movement lags a bit as the car moves from under you. Without a curtain airbag, your head can actually fly out the side window and contact the front of the car that hit you. That is why you need a side curtain airbag. It is not to keep the car out, it is to keep you in. It wouldn't be an issue if we didn't need windows.

If you look at the video of the non-curtain Prius, the dummy's head actually comes apart from the force of the impact, but it was the head's impact with the sled, not the sled hitting the car that did the damage.

In addition, a side airbag (not the curtain) keeps your body inplace in a side impact so you don't stay still while the car moves to the side. ou move with the car, and so are insulated from the direct impact from the other car.

Structure on keeps the other car from entering into your space. The airbags keep you in that space and prevent you from becoming a hood ornament!