1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IKEA offers exclusive parking spaces to "green" drivers!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 26, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're the owner of a hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicle recognized by the recent Federal government's ECOauto tax relief incentive (cars that use less than 6.5L of gas per 100 km), you might want to take advantage of the 11 IKEA stores across the country that will offer two Green Parking spaces starting at the end of May.

The 22 spots (two at each location) will be located directly after the handicapped and family parking near the entrance of the IKEA store. Drivers will recognize the preferred spaces by the Green signage, both on the ground and at eye level. Depending on the response from customers, and as the trend towards hybrid vehicles grows, more green parking spaces may be added.

IKEA also has three different shuttle bus routes servicing stores in Richmond (BC), North York and Etobicoke (ON) as well as an anti-idling policy at each location for customers loading their cars in the pick-up zone. What's more, every IKEA store is located close to public transit for both co-workers and customers.

As you can see, the Swedish brand is highly committed to long-term sustainability, particularly in terms of transportation.

Source: Auto123.com

2. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet my nearest IKEA (IKEA Canton) outside of Detroit will not be one of the 11 stores with suck parking... which is a shame since every time I go there I never see anything excet fords and GMs in the lot...

3. silversyren

silversyren New Member

This is cool.. but since I just got my Prius, I'm still in the "park as far away as possible from any other car" stage. ;) I definitely would not be parking by any family spaces!

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 26 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]450705[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's the 11 Canadian stores ;)

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IKEA also sells products with the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) label. This is system that promotes and certifies sustainably harvested wood/lumber.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 27 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]450724[/snapback]</div>
    Somebody should put a stop to that! Obviously they're just trying to ruin the Canadian economy! :)

I should mention that here in the US, that Costco is the biggest promoter of green vehicles. They sponsor more EV chargers than any other business.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 27 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]450776[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'd like to see a "green" lot real close to the door. I always end up parking two lots over. And let Walmart put their parking spaces where their mouths are. They're touting their "green-ness" so let them make a few of the very closest parking lanes green too. It doesn't cost them anything, except maybe a little paint. But it sure sends a message.

8. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 27 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]450801[/snapback]</div>

yeah i saw the family parking and i thought "OO its close to the store..."

then i saw the hybrid parking and i thought "WOW ITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE STORE!!"

gj ikea you rock, my prius loves your parking lot.

9. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ooh, I haven't been to the Ikea here in Calgary in a while. I might have to go just to try out one of the Hybrid parking spots. :D

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hats off to "stor" . . . whoops! Meant Ikea. hehe.
    Now, if they can just get me free parking at the courthouse, or at a store that I'd like to shop at. Ek.
    apologies to all those IKEA lovers :p

11. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 26 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]450633[/snapback]</div>
    What the hell is "family parking" ?? Incentive for people to drive SUVs and bring the kids?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 27 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]450912[/snapback]</div>
    Those with pregnant wives and kids in strollers/prams.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 28 2007, 01:45 AM) [snapback]450920[/snapback]</div>
    Any idea why IKEA likes to sell cheep stuff that looks like it comes from Norway, even tho it's from Asia?

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 28 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]450954[/snapback]</div>
    No idea. That's why I tend to look at the label first.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norway? You mean Sweden, don't you? :)

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 28 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]450954[/snapback]</div>
    IKEA = Swedish K-Mart

17. vkykam

vkykam New Member

Excellent... Even more of a reason now to go have breakfast there... :-D

Now, if they only build a tunnel underneath the 401 from my backyard to their North York store, I'd be all set, considering I live right across from it... ;-)

18. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great idea. I was in Atlanta on a business trip last month and happened to catch a game at Turner Field. They have a special free parking lot directly across from the stadium for Lexus owners. It was only a matter of time before someone started one for hybrids.

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think the green spaces are a very good idea. It will be yet another reason for others to resnet us.

I don't really think there should be any special parking other than the handicaped spaces for those who really need them. I an mot talking about the handicaped that sprint past you as you are walking into the store.

Families with kids should park far out, so that their kids work off some excess energy before they enter the confined space in the store.

I think the one that gripes me the most is the "Employee of the Month" right by the front door. Why should eny employee working in the store for eight hours get a better space than the loyal customer who is trying to conserve energy by combining their trips and just wants to quickly run into four or five different locations in a limited amount of time? Come on managers, find a more appropriate way to reward your employees without inconveniencing your customers.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Employee of the month parking spaces are FREE.

If you eliminate them, then company's would actually have to spend MONEY on some sort of reward.