1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'll see what FE out of this sweet little Accord Coupe

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cycledrum, Jan 9, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I passed on purchase of 3rd gen Prius and got back to my roots of a car with sporty flair. If the CT200h had been out for a while and I felt up to $30k, that might have been a ringer, but, I'm lovin' this Accord EX 2DR 4 cylinder w/ auto. Hopefully I can get high 20's fuel economy average.

Cheers :)

050705 183s.JPG

050705 184s.JPG

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife has a 2007 Accord 4 cylinder. We love that car. I have never figured average mpg, only highway, since she is the main driver. We get about 35 mpg average highway where the EPA estimate is 34.

45k miles and only problem was a driver door lock solenoid failed at 38k miles. Honda covered it under warranty even though beyond 36k.

The coupe is a nice looking car !

Congratulations and enjoy !

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2011 update on the coupe looks much better than what they did to the sedan (ugh.. hate those horizontal reflectors that they added to the trunklid).

Time to practice some pulse and coast lol.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, yeah, wow those horizontal reflectors are uncool on the sedan. Glad I didn't get them. They did an awesome update in 2008. I see quite a few of the 2007 and earlier Accord Coupes but wow is the body plain with no character lines. I'll have to look close to notice updates for this '11.

Honda has a clever way of marketing this coupe that appealed to me. They were running commercials with Mario Andretti as passenger telling the driver how to scoot around town in an Accord Coupe. Then they say 'Honda race experience built into our Accords' or SLT. Those things echo in the mind.

Or the little videos Honda has on the car pages. Toyota ought to do that to - put a video front and center on site page showing a driver enjoying the best of a Prius. It's powerful marketing.

Mostly I love sitting low in this little coupe - something like a twisty racetrack car would feel. Ooh the suspension, yum. Can't wait to go on a trip!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it also helps that there's a 6MT version mated to a V6, something that's very uncommon nowadays. Is that still offered for 2011?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After putting nearly a quarter million miles on an '86 Accord Hatchback, before swapping it for a GenIII Prius, I'd be highly disappointed with 20-anything mpg from an Accord. The old one regularly pulled 35 in summer, from an old-style EPA sticker of 30, long before I ever heard of hypermiling or pulse & glide.

Of course, even Honda played the horsepower and weight game, so those old results cannot be used as a guide to what the modern editions can do.

Congrats on your new toy! I'd still have a Honda if they had a hatchback competitive with Prius. DW still does.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The 6MT is available in the EX-L V6 for 2011. I'll bet it gets up and goes pretty well :)

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'Cept that Accord has grown and grown over the years, now the sedan is 194" long and considered full-size :eek: It's sub 30's all the way now.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, but oddly enough, the coupe which is a couple inches shorter is considered a compact by the EPA.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at my Monroney sticker, that's why it says 'ALL COMPACTS' under the average FE rating. Hardly a compact at 191" x almost 73" wide.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cabin space seems to be the criteria for EPA classes.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As my tripmeter started heading towards 150 miles and gas guage got under 2/3 of a tank, decided to fill the car back up and calculate (the dealer filled up first time and set trip meter) ...

151.4 miles / 7.047 gas = 21.48 MPG :(

This may be pretty accurate, but not sure as dealer may not have completely filled the car. Also, I've done a lot of short hops to the store and not much highway driving. Still, the 09 Prius would have clocked about 44 MPG under same conditions.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it is winter, and a bigger car, no?

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter, 300 lbs heavier car and no HSD, ooooh. :eek:

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like it's worth it tho!;)

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, CR on an 08 Accord LX-P sedan w/2.4L 4 and 5AT, they got 15, 34 highway, 23 mpg overall. On a 150-mile trip, they got 28 mpg. They didn't test a coupe nor anything newer than an 08.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats! I'm happy to see you get into a car that hopefully you can be more comfortable in. The Accord Coupe is a beautiful car...

A coworker of mine just bought an '11 Accord Sedan. It too is an incredibly high quality car...I really think Honda today is building a much higher quality car than Toyota...I mean...the interior of the Camry is a joke compared to the Accord IMHO.

I too am dismayed as to who thought the reflectors were a good update on the sedan...

1 person likes this.
  18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, yo thanks, back with ya ....

I'm feeling better after this 2nd top off with gas.

134 miles / 4.921 gal = 27.23 MPG

I had quite a few short hops to the store, only 10 miles on highway at a time and some 30 minute drives. Car is running fine, it's a real smooth quiet engine.

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Needs moar low. That is all.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeehaw that would make for a rough ride! I would smack that front bumper in 5 minutes. At least I can get the front end over curbs w/o scraping like in Prius. But, the 50 MPG was nice that's for sure.

btw, I checked tirerack's price for the OEM 225/50-17 Michelins on the car .... $193 each ! The retailer price will be higher.