1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Illinois Renewable Energy Fair

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Drifter, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Drifter

Drifter Member

I know its a busy time, with the meet up this sunday and Hybridfest the following weekend, but this is coming up fast! Anyone planning on going? Has anyone been in touch with the organizers to find out if they are having the special parking area again for people wanting to show off their hybrid? I will probably only be able to make it one day this year. It would be nice if enough people volunteered to show thier car that everyone would get a chance to see the exhibits for at least a little while. I don't think FireEngineer made it ten feet away from his car last year!

Information at: http://www.illinoisrenew.org/events/events.html

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifter @ Jul 11 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]284524[/snapback]</div>
    Dont you think they should just video-conference in an effort to save energy :rolleyes:

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually Drifter the bathroom was about 30 feet away. I think we should ask Tony to contact Bob or Sonia Vogl since he had contact with them last year. We should be able to get our spot from last year since it is first come/first serve and the Bio-car people and Chris with his Insight like the spots by the aisle. And this years secret weapon is a canopy I bought which we can pin signs on to call attention to us from the parking lot. So lets ask Tony Sunday.

Wayne

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't make it; I'll be at my parents in So. Indiana that weekend.

5. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tony, we didn't expect you to make it. We know your still recovering from the wedding you went to last year during the Fair :blink: . But you should e-mail them so they know we'll be there.

Wayne

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, tell me about it. in addition to a constant conflict in scheduling, I have a wife - unlike some - who doesn't understand why I want to go to these things, much less orchestrate them.

Wayne, since you're going to be there, how about you take over the communications and planning? I'll send them an email and copy you on it explaining that I can't make it but for them to send information to you.

7. Fineagedwine43

Fineagedwine43 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 12 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]284965[/snapback]</div>

Tony,

I know Wayne will be happy to do this! It was fun last year (even though I did not at the time show much excitement for it).. I was amazed at how many people talked to Wayne and I was even more amazed that he knew so much! (Made my chest swell with pride a bit).. :p I will just have to make sure that I don't step on a bee this time and get stung again! lol

Teresa

8. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You know my young teens have been wondering who that lady is hanging around the house? You know Tony, the Fair would provide perfect material for your Green Fundementals project at work, check out the Schedule. Hurry and send the e-mail and I will complete the plans with Bob and Sonia, I don't want Chris Schneider (Honda) to be the only hybrid rep there.

Wayne

9. Fineagedwine43

Fineagedwine43 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 13 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]285597[/snapback]</div>

HEY!! You wouldn't be talking about me would ya?? LOL

Teresa B)

10. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, time to bump this to the top.

I have made contact, through Tony, with Sonia Vogel who is organizing exhibitors. She already had us in the program since we made an impression last year. This year would be basically the same as last (more info in a minute) except this time our space will be moved. We should still be grouped with Chris Schneider of Honda Motorwerks-last chance to see a Honda Insight-and the bio-diesel/conversion folks.

Basically what we did last year, which seemed to work, was to have our cars available and open for people to look and touch. We also were there to answer questions and dispel myths. The people who come to this event are pretty savy already, many questions are technical, especially about the main battery. But there is also are a fair number of people who are curious about alternative energy and we will be there to show them a main stream means to save energy and reduce their footprint on the earth.

How will this work? My car will be there all open with all my goodies plastered all over it under my new canopy. Anyone else who comes can open their car to whatever extent they are comfortable. Our need is for people to talk to the curious. You do not need to be a Prius technical expert, if the question is too tough send them my way, I like a challenge. You do not have to be there all day, just a few hours or half day is fine. I understand it is a long drive through the beautiful corn fields for most, just think of it as a exercise to try Hobbit's warp stealth method's.

What's in it for you, other than the satisfaction of showing your beautiful, modern car of the future to everyone. Well you, and everyone in your car, get in free. This means that during the course of the day you can go to various seminars and learn some neat stuff, except for Tony who I think has an out of town whatever to attend ;) . Also take in the exhibitors and maybe find some energy saving goodies for your domicile, there is a tax credit you know.

If you intend to come for all or part of the fair I need your Prius model year, color and state license number. Sonia has requested the information so they don't let in every Prius that shows up. Last year the parking lot had quite a few Prius. Please PM me the info but also post here that you are coming so everyone has an idea of turnout. Again I don't expect you to commit a whole weekend or even a whole day, just enough so you enjoy yourself, preach the Prius, and give me more than one bathroom break.

Wayne

11. Drifter

Drifter Member

I will be at the energy fair for the full day on Saturday the 12th, but only standing by the car answering questions about half of the time since I really want to see the fair too. Anyone else plannning on being there that day?

12. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will be there on Sunday, doing the Elgin car show Saturday.

Wayne

13. Silverray

Silverray New Member

My wife and I will be at the fair on Saturday with our Silver Prius joining our daughter Drifter.
    Hope we get a few more to come.
    B)

14. helmkera

helmkera Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am hoping to come to the fair on Saturday, but haven't made arrangements to "show" my silver Prius. I had planned just to hang out with the owners of the show cars and answer questions half of the time and see some of the fair as well.

15. Drifter

Drifter Member

Overall Saturday was a success. Helmkera, Silverray and I answered lots of questions. We also let a few new prius owners know about Priuschat, so more members may be on the way.

Early on someone came up to me and said "I sat in your car last year and then I bought a prius." THen later someone I recognized from last year told me his should be in in another two weeks. It was nice to see that our being at the fair really does make a difference to some people.

I'm still suprised that Toyota doesn't have any official reps at the fair, but one prius owner we met at the fair said she would talk to her Rockford dealership and see if that could change for next year.

We couldn't have asked for better weather or nicer people at the fair. I hope tomorrows group has as good a day.

16. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh Boy!! More people to preach to. Here I go.

Wayne

17. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I want to thank Drifter, Helmkera and Silverray for the time they spent on Saturday, some of the other vendors said you all were very busy.

Sunday was great, perhaps a few less people than last year. Talked to a number of people I saw last year and some are now (or soon will be) Prius owners. Actually wound up giving mini-Prius owner 101 clinics. Interest was high from many people. However the media has struck again, a number of people think there are kits on a shelf somewhere that turns the Prius into a plug-in electric vehicle. Had to burst a few bubbles. Also had a chance to explain the Prius inner workings to the featured speaker who was from Germany, his address was about sustainable housing, a very impressive gentleman. And if anyone has the answer for this question please let me know, I was stumped. HOW MUCH SILVER IS USED IN THE HYBRID SYSTEM :huh: ? The things I have to learn for next year!

Wayne

18. Drifter

Drifter Member

Thank you for being there Sunday FireEngineer. I'm sure you were kept busy.

It did seem like a lot of people had heard of the plug-in conversions done by Hymotion and similar companies. But a lot of people thought these were toyota authorized or did not realize the money involved (10K+) or understand the distance/speed limitations. Too bad there wasn't a toyota rep there, the desire for plug in vehicles was obvious. Maybe it would have encouraged Toyota to put out a plug-in sooner rather than later.