1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

i'm a newbie.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by doiwantaprius, Jun 29, 2007.

1. doiwantaprius

doiwantaprius New Member

Hello all.
    Looking to sell my current vehicle and purchase a prius... is there any years I should stay away from? I'm trying to go as cheap as possible so it will prob an 01 or 02. I saw a lot of modifications for 04 and up but what about the echo looking model? ha!
    I would like to put an ev only switch on the older model and possible add to the battery capicity. I would consider my self a moder and would also look into plug in conversion.
    is this doable on the older model? or should i just fork up the extra cash for an 04?

Thanks for the input!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is not an EV switch option for the 1st generation ('01-'03). While those are still good cars, available at decent prices and quite reliable they're certainly not the car that the '04+ are.

If you have the cash I'd look for a late '05+. Again, I have an '04 and it's a great reliable car, and if you can get a better deal it would be fine, but the late '05+ models addressed many of the minor issues that were discovered on the '04 (gas tank issues, traction control agressiveness, MFD failures, etc). You get a car with many more aftermarket toys available and a lot more available mods. More importantly you'll have a larger, more fuel efficient and refined car than what you'll get in the 1st Gen Prius.

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plus, don't you want a hatchback? I traded my 2006 Civic Hybrid for two main reasons, to improve on the 38 MPG average, and for the Prius Hatchback. With the 2007 Prius, I have been able to get up to almost 50 mpg. It is kind of frustrating not being able to break the 50 barrier. Some days, I have been able to beat 50, but if I try for a run of 3 or 4 days, 48.7 is the best I have achieved so far.

4. doiwantaprius

doiwantaprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jun 29 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]470040[/snapback]</div>
    well i'm not in it for the look (i'm already married so i don't need to get chicks!) i'm going for the most cost effective purchase.

anyone have an idea about how long the battery packs last on pre 04 models?

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doiwantaprius @ Jun 29 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]470048[/snapback]</div>
    No indication of any real failure rate, so despite the regular press that battery failure gets, it's not really an issue.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    250k miles is a realistic expectation.

7. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you wanna hack and modify it go with the current model. Way more cars produced with the current model meaning more salvage parts available and more numbers of people doing similar hacks that you can copy or build on.

8. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doiwantaprius @ Jun 29 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]470048[/snapback]</div>
    I believe your most cost effective purchase is going to be a salvage rebuildable in the 04-06 model. A dealer in the Charlotte/Gastonia, NC area named Chalev's Rebuildables is probably your best bet. I do not know what he has available right now but I have seen the 02 prius with 87K miles go for 6700 out the door. I have an 05 model package 6 with 13600 miles that was $14,000. He is more of a hobby head than a car dealer. He only rebuilds cars that he is interested in driving himself. He prices the cars to sell quickly and he rebuilds about 150 cars a year.
    Good luck with your search. These cars hold thier values well.