1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm back in a hybrid: a 2024 Kia Niro

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Hybrids and EVs' started by soldierguy, Jun 10, 2024.

1. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to have a 2016 Prius when I was living in California and commuting 225 miles round trip every day for work. Through some changes in life and a move to the East Coast, I found myself working from home and wanting another hybrid. I thought about an EV, but charging at home isn't possible. I sat in the current generation Prius and decided that while it's nice, it's not for me...too low to the ground, feels pretty cramped inside, and there's no way my 6'6" husband would fit inside. Then I remembered that Kia & Hyundai vehicles tend to have more leg and headroom than their competition, so I did a little investigating, and sure enough, the Kia Niro had substantially more usable interior space than the current Prius. I drove it, along with test driving a Toyota Crown and a Honda CRV hybrid. I liked the Kia best out of all of them, so that's what I took home...a 2024 Kia Niro hybrid in the SX trim level, so I basically got every option besides LED headlights and the 18" wheels. The LED headlights would be nice, but I definitely prefer the 16" wheels for ride quality and fuel economy.

I've only had it a couple weeks, but so far I'm sitting at 54.1 mpg hand calculated, in mostly suburban driving. My driving style is this: I try to be reasonably economical without being a rolling road block, so I basically drive with traffic. I definitely use the AC and cooled seats...I don't like the heat & humidity of Maryland, so I'm not shy about using climate controls.

So far so good! I'm happy with it.

John321 and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    that is a great car, all the best!

soldierguy likes this.
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Niro is a great car, one that very few people know about!

soldierguy likes this.