1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm getting 27 MPG and it's hardly crawling up?! (Details inside)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Sep 30, 2009.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a new used Prius (a loaner car) with 10,000 miles on it. I've only put on 20 miles so far. My average MPG on the display lists 27.8 mpg, and rising EVER SO SLOWLY - maybe .1 mpg every 10 minute drive.

My question is, why is this number so low? Can I erase my trip information by pressing Reset so that it will start off at zero and then go reasonably higher after I start driving (assuming I don't drive at 27 mpg thereafter).

I have a suspicion that my average mileage is low because it is averaging it based on the 10,000 miles my car has when the previous rental owners didn't take care of it and got terrible mileage - but I know this shouldn't be the case if the Trip is frequently reset, but is it possible?

Or was I just a really bad driver in my first 20 miles? Then how long before it goes up top 45+. (I'm not that bad of a driver - in fact my mom drove it a bit and it still doesn't go up and she's a pro).

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius gets ~25mpg for the first few minutes to warm up the catalytic converters. If you watch the histogram, you'll see the mileage increase after 5-10 minutes or so.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought, however, that if I only had 10-20 miles on this trip, then whenever I average maybe 50 mpg during a drive, the average should shoot up from ~27 to 35+. It still hasn't done that. Instead it goes up from 27 to 27.1 when I have a good 10 minute drive. Make sense? Thanks so much...I'm worried somethings not working...

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you 'reset' the trip odometer and 'reset' the touch screen showing your average mileage, then the new average should change rapidly at first, as you are dividing small numbers by small numbers. (1 mile by 1/40 of a gallon) If you never reset either, then you are dividing about 10000 miles by about 370 gallons, and the effect of what you did in the last mile is pretty much lost. (10000 +1 by 370 + 1/40)

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Jimbo, that seems to make sense. You understood what I was asking. It just so happens that today I did reset the Trip Odometer to zero (Trip A was ~5000 miles, so was Trip B ). but I did NOT yet reset the touch screen. You're saying I need to do both and I hope that's the answer too.

I will hit reset on the touch screen and let you know but always feel free to give me feedback and help. I'm new at the Prius haha. Thanks again.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reset the Consumption Screen on the MFD. That'll get the average fluctuating wildly lol. (until it averages out over more miles of course)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What I 'think' is happening, is that resetting the trip odometer only resets the mileage shown on the touch screen, it does not reset the mileage used to compute an average. the Reset on the touch screen does that.

As the average per tank interests me the most, I do them both at once.

8. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Resetting the trip odometer only resets the trip odometer, it is completely independent of the mileage shown on the MFD (touch screen). Macmaster05 needs to reset the mileage shown on the MFD.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reseted MFD. Have driven another 20 miles today. Average consumption is at 53.3. That's more like it! Thanks everyone.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep!
    When all else fails ... read the handbook
    ;)
    or ask here

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. I was afraid to press Reset on the MFD, however, since I was in the middle of my trip. Well, only 20 miles in, but still. I'll just have to remember to add 20 to whatever I finish my tank with.

12. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    20 miles is definitely not enough to ascertain what kind of fuel economy the car, and you driving it, are capable of achieving.

Heck, 20 miles is barely warmed up.

Short trips will kill your mileage, because as mentioned earlier, when the engine is warming up, mileage sucks. This is true of any car.

Hitting the reset button on the Consumption screen will reset the trip gauge and the economy, and will start averaging it again. If you do this when the car is cold, expect low numbers, but they should climb pretty quickly. Depending on your commute, it's entirely possibly you may have a (relatively) low average economy. The car doesn't like short trips.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :clap2:

Yeah, on the 2004/05 the MFD reset every time more than three gallons of gasoline were pumped into the tank. Toyota must have guessed that people wanted to have it automatically reset. The problem is that people apparently actually wanted a lifetime average. So Toyota changed it so that if you want per-trip average, you can hit it yourself. If you want lifetime average, just don't hit it.

Glad you got it figured. 53mpg is pretty respectable for only a few hundred miles.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I actually like the idea of not pushing reset and getting a lifetime average - now that my average is decent. I think a lifetime average is a little more accurate since you don't have to "re-earn" your mileage after buying gas.

But I hear that whenever you buy gas (any amount) the miles automatically clears to zero. I dont know because I havent bought gas yet, and don't plan to for quite some time.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have an '04 so hopefully someone else can confirm the mileage reset.

16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do some reading here on PC about your car. It's a great auto but needs to be understood if you want to fully enjoy it's strengths as well as anticipate its issues. You might want to search :
    Fuel tank bladder and filling
    tire air pressure
    jump starting issues
    any threads on how the engines work
    etc, etc, etc....:welcome:

17. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That works great in the 09... until your friend, who is fascinated with how it works starts poking around... and hits the reset button. :|

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. My '05 resets after every fillup.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you did not get them with the car, buy copies of the 2009 Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Both of these are written by Toyota, not by a dealer; dealers should have them both or they can be found online. They are filled with stuff you need to know and will save you bother and money.