1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm Glad and It's ABOUT TIME...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, May 23, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, because...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...that a car manufacturer comes up with such a unique vehicle that's affordable to almost anyone with a job. I've owned some higher end sports cars in the past, and you know what? This little Prius is the most intriguing by far.

Bravo to Toyota for thinking outside the box a bit and making it happen! And it seems to have paid off for them. They're just flying off the lots! I can't wait to see how this trend develops. I have no doubt that within a few short years we'll see 100mpg as easily as 50 now with added power to boot!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sort of a car buff, and I've been waiting for this sort of thing for years.

Oh what a feeling indeed... :mrgreen:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. They may go the plug-in route but that'll place a burden on the grid. Perhaps we may have our own solar panels that stores energy for us to transfer to the car. Maybe we'll just have a super efficient battery.

Did you guys know there's a production electric supercar? It's produced by a French sports car company called Venturi. It takes 3½hrs to charge and has a range of ~200 miles. Cost? £300,000.

3. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe we will have a ZPE power plant in 7 years.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    VW just made a 2-seater commuter like the Insight but the passenger sits behind the driver. It got 238 mpg. A prototype was even built and tested in Europe. Not sure if they are going to mass produce it.

5. Mystery Squid

Sort of... :mrgreen:

But IMO, those "types" are too "chintsy"... The unique thing about the Prius, is that it doesn't scream, "ECONO-BOX!". I'm thinking more amongst the lines of, at the very least, Prius sized of slightly larger.

Heck, what about hybrid SUV's? What if my recently dearly departed F150 got 50mpg's? Then, would we still opt for smaller vehicles? Hmmm...

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We will make a transition to plug-in vehicles in efforts to improve air quality, increase efficiency and decrease costs. There will be minimal impact to the present grid with its centralized power plants. Instead photovoltaic panels tied to smart sine-wave inverters will appear on the roof of every school, home, apartment, church, business and car port.

With prudent driving and "running green lights" I easily obtain 61 mpg every day. Using sun-derived electrons and improved batteries, we will drive 200 to 400 miles on a "tank" of electrons (as evidenced by work currently under way at the University of California at Davis and other places).

The era of "substituting oil for knowledge" is over and we now make the transition to applying knowledge first.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See, a Cd of 0.23 and yet it looks reasonably good and doesn't need those rear wheel covers of the Insight. At 1025kg, that Yaris is heavier than our Echo here.

8. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Timing wasn't fortuitous, but how many of you remember the post-WWII luxury/economy 2-seater, 3-wheeler? Was it Mitsubishi or Messerschmidt? I admired its styling and the streamlined bubble canopy; but my pocketbook allowed only the Italians' Vespa + my naval aviator's leather helmet and jacket for my commute between West San Fernando Valley and U.C.L.A. in the 50's. I wondered how comfortably it would ride.

9. xmylesnx

xmylesnx New Member

What it all boils down to

i believe, unfortunate though it may be, that monetary and economic desires will limit the ability for we as a society to develop extremely efficient vehicles. Because of our current dependency on oil, and the close ties that the United States holds with some of the major oil producing countries, it would be more profitable to limit the amount of mgp a car can get. Since many politicians have stakes in the oil claim, it is likely that our lawmakers will opt for the more temporal route of financial intelligence rather than technological development.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  11. majordude

majordude Member

According to some guy I heard on Art Bell last week, a 200 mpg car has already been invented but the inventor was killed by the Trilateral Commision, his patent was bought and buried by Ford, and his body was stolen from his grave and transported to the shadow Earth planet Gramunglia by space aliens and/or Masons.

12. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great photo, thanks! I thought, at first, that you had submitted a shot of your personal classic. I haven't seen one of these under way in the last 40 years, at least. I wonder if any still exist, stateside. They claimed great mileage and did just fine on L.A. freeways. Too bad they disappeared.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Google Image search to the rescue.

I have not seen one since the fifties and early sixties when I was growing up in Israel. They were fairly common there during the early post independence austerity years.

14. majordude

majordude Member

Ack! Someone edited my post!

15. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

I say no because there is no financial incentive to do so as a matter of fact I would think that behind the scenes some politicians and big oil hope we don't. I think until governments require that kind of mileage it will not happen on a real level (not considering the rare one off type vehicles that are produced). Look at all the pollution laws here in the US and how long it takes for the transition to cleaner factories (and all of the appeals for delays the are granted).

Hydrogen is another example of lack of incentive to change our ways.

16. Mystery Squid

Welp, I guess a healthy majority think it will be so....

Let's come back to this thread in May of 2012, and see!

Thanks for all who voted, and to future voters!

:)

17. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The oil cartel and the "big 3" auto manufacturers will fight tooth and nail to keep a 100mpg vehicle from showing up...they will fight and threaten anyone who comes up with it, just like years ago they made the 80mpg carb disappear...

18. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seven years isn't quite long enough in the grand scheme of things. I'm not saying it's impossible provided that the market incentives were there including gasoline well over $5 per gallon, I just think the time line is too short.

19. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That will teach you to listen to late night talk radio!