1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm going in for 10K service, would like forum advice....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Now... I've read over time how many people have had dash rattles. The lightweight prius dashboard seems prone to rattles and buzzes. Many people on the forum have described how they dealt with it. So.... let me explain. It's going to have my 10K service, the rattle has gotten a bit worse since it stared back at 3K miles. It's located on the dash, about ten degrees to the right as you sit in the drivers seat. It happens on regular street conditions and lately on freeways that have that rib cut for better traction in rain. The rattle progresses to a buzz at high speeds. It really sounds like something just sort of shook loose and is getting looser. The darn thing is that it's the ONLY thing that is a problem with our Prius. Everything else is great. One of the most trouble free cars we've ever owned. It would be perfect..... if not for the damn rattle.

Now... my specific request.

I will be going to Santa Monica Toyota (where we purchased it), for the 10K service. Who on the forum has had work done at SM Toyota that deals with dash rattles? Is there a mechanic there who is "the dash rattle guy"? Has your dash rattle problems become worse due to their work or better? I'm always afraid of opening pandora's box. If they have a guy drive the car, say it's OK... then what? If they have someone pop the dash, look inside, say it's OK, then improperly pop the dash back.... we could end up with more noise than ever. (Trust me, it's happened before with a Volkswagen we owned back in the 80s).

Forum Folks.... Please give me some advice. If anything... I can produce some information for the mechanic and provide proof that Prius dash rattles are not an uncommon thing... not a case of "We've never heard of this thing with Pruis before, your'e the first one!" THANKS EVERYONE who replies. Nda3rdCar

2. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One possible source of the rattle, in about the direction you indicate, is the center mount speaker on models with the JBL 9-speaker system. If you don't have a JBL sound system, pardon my intrusion. I agree, the Prius would be perfect if it was a bit quieter and had no rattles. They are hard to isolate and resolve.

4. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 6 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]386562[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the reply.... We have a package 3, 2006. Pretty basic. No JBL sound system... Yes, I've read about that center speaker thing before.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) 10K Serrvice...

Remember, their Service Department will be paid "book rates" by Toyota for warranty service, so they're not "doing you a favor" performing such work.

Don't fall for "extras" some Service Departments try to sell you, just have them do the service in your Scheduled Maintenance Guide without their "recommended" [like HIGH PROFIT services not needed] extras. I make it a practice to provide a "by the numbers" list of exactly what I want done. Their 10K "reconnended" list you may see displayed in the service area do not necessarily apply to your Prius.

My Mainentance Guide calls for [1] Replace Engine Oil and filter; [2] Rotate Tires; and [3] Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs. [That's INSPECT, not "clean" or "adjust"] There are other items listed for "Special Operating Conditions."

MY 2¢ WORTH.

6. Springtime

Springtime Member

With my old Tercel I had a strange noise that never seemed to occur when the tech was driving the car. I finally started taking my portable tape recorder with me in the car. I recorded the strange sound and the next time I came in for service I played back the sound to the service tech.

Once they knew what they were listening for it was a lot easier to identify the problem. It turned out to be a defective seal in the front windshield that emitted a whistling sound at speeds over 50 miles per hour.

So, maybe if you can capture the sound on tape it will be easier for the tech to track down the noise and solve the problem.

Springtime

7. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

My less than 2 cents on dash rattle. I posted about this last week, and nobody cared, so stop reading now, if you read what I wrote already and didn't care.

I absolutely for sure found a dash rattle. First I drove the car for 3 months without hearing any rattle at all. Then, I finally removed the plastic strips that were stuck in and around the wind wing areas -- these are those small tiangular windows in the front sides of the car. Then I drove the car. The dash rattle started, and seemed to be coming from the wind wing window on the right side. I had my son wait until the rattle was really, really bad and steady, and had him push down on the bottom plastic plate in this window area. Immediately the rattle stopped. Then he let go, and the rattle started. We have repeated this test many times. The rattle doesn't always happen, but when it does, this is absolutely where it is coming from. Stuff something in there, is my recomendation. Now maybe you have a different rattle, and I can't help you, but its worth a try.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 7 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]386690[/snapback]</div>
    Nice detective work! Who would have thunk that a rattle would have been coming from there?

As far as the original poster's maintenance question, if you're not sure, check in the owner's manual. Everything the car needs done to keep it in warranty is listed. Then, as was suggested earlier, give the dealer's service department a list and have them do only that.

Oh, and NO intake tract or brake cleaning is required!
    [smile]

9. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

To everyone who replied to my question on this thread.... Thank You! Today I visited my dealer for the 10K service and dash rattle. Well..... first the manager writing up the order didn't understand what I was getting at and I got a bit flustered. Then I talked to the service manager and said I wanted to show the rattle myself to the tech working on the car.
    Once the tech started work at 8:00, first thing we went out for a drive, him first then me. I traveled on normal to rough streets and pointed out the problem as it happened. He agreed there was something loose in there.
    I left the car with them and took a bus home until the afternoon.... thinking "oh damn, what if the problem is made worse by them messing with the dash... what if they don't get it done in one day?"
    Later that day, got a call that the car was done.... took a bus... got the car not expecting good news.

NO RATTLE! at least not yet. I even drove on #10 towards LA from Santa Monica. (Heavy rain ribs, caused terrible buzz and rattle on the dash) This time... nothing but tire noise from the rough surface.

We'll see if the noises return, but I think they really got it. What a relief!

I'll post again if rattles return, but right now I'm very happy with Santa Monica Toyota service department.

10. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats good to hear!

just curious, what did they say was the problem?

11. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Feb 20 2007, 05:53 AM) [snapback]393217[/snapback]</div>

First... sorry for not answering your question until now. I looked up the receipt, it stated "excessive gap at front of dash" So what I'm guessing is that the mechanics either tightened the dash up or provided a filler material to eliminate the gap. Here it's been over a week and things still seem pretty solid. Oh, there are those little noises like the spring on the retractable boot cover. The rubber seal of the rear door when the car flexes, but all in all the car has typical sounds... no annoying ones. Thanks for your question and I hope you have good luck with your Prius. - Pete, LA