1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm going to buy a Prius next week...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lchamp, Jan 11, 2007.

1. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have searched throughout these forums looking for a proper place for this question. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I can't find anyone in my local area who wants to talk about their experiences with local service departments. I have 3 dealers in this area with cars like equipped like I want. Prices are all discounted, so the deciding factor will be the service departments.

Has anyone on these forums had any experience with dealers in the Melbourne, Merritt Island or Winter Park areas of Central Florida? Feel free to email me or PM me if that is appropriate.

I have researched the net about the car...I'm convinced...now I need to know about local dealers.

Thanks,

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) lchamp...

... and welcome to PriusChat = the best online source for accurate and helpful information about your future Prius! While your Owner's Manual has a literal wealth of helpful information, some added information is available here. Can't help you on Florida specifics regarding service, but here are some comments.

About Dealers' Service Departments. First: You can have your Prius serviced at any Toyota Dealer, not necessarily the one where you buy your new Prius. I made my best deals [both on my past 2004 and my new 2007] but have had best service at another dealer. Secondly: Remember, the Dealer is paid fully for all warranty services so you have no obligation to have work done where you buy it. On my recent trade-up, I was somewhat unimpressed by that dealer's service department so I returned to the one closer and with which I've had over two years of excellent service.

I made it a point to require no dealer "decals or badges" to identify WHERE I bought my Prius and removed the license plate frames soon as the permanent plates arrived.

My advice: Shop agressively for the best deal you can make, even if it's quite a distance from a dealer where you would have your Prius serviced. I saved about $2,500 on my trade-up by buying about 30 miles away from where I'll have my service done. My first service need was re-alignment of the front wheels [not unusual for a brand new car], the selling dealer's service manager was reluctant to do the alignment - I believe they didn't even look at it. I took my new Prius to my preferred service department, they did the alignment under warranty and gave me a "$0" service ticket and a printout of the before/after alignment specifications.

Good luck on your "deal" - I'll bet there's money to be saved by shopping.

3. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yup, everything above is very true, as a matter a fact, many dealers consider the service department and the sales department two different companies. Each has their own budget and expected projections, in some cases, each department can pay the corporation rent for the space that their department uses.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought my car from a dealer 50 miles from home, via internet search. I've never been back. Like tha man said, any dealer (or yourself) can do normal service. Warranty is also not dealer specific, so go for the best deal. I had no choice, it was 50 miles or X no. of weeks to wait.

5. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as Central Florida goes, DO NOT buy from David Maus Toyota or Central Florida Toyota. There have been some articles in the paper about Maus selling flood cars and not disclosing it. Central Florida Toyota just doesn't know what they are doing, I had my 55k service there and they didn't do all the stuff they were supposed to do. I ended up flying to PA to get my Prius and driving it back, but mine was used and I got a really good deal. I have heard good things about Toyota of Orlando, but I have never personally gone there.

6. scoot

scoot Member

Forget about who is going to service the car. Get the best price offer over the phone from the three dealers who have what you want, and if it isn't low enough expand your search. In general, most car companies make more on the service department than they do on sales department. Some dealers (VW for instance) have even been less motivated to sell you a car if you were NOT going to get it serviced there. This was my experience purchasing a VW in Santa Monica when I lived 50 miles from Santa Monica -- they knew they weren't going to get my business for the service on the car so they would have rather sold the car to someone local to keep the service in their bay...

7. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jan 11 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]374239[/snapback]</div>

Interesting. I have bought many American cars in my long lifetime and have run across many dealer service departments that weren't particularly helpful if I had not bought the car there. Either things have changed, or Toyota is handling things differently. Even now, when I try to get my Dodge (that I purchased in Maryland) serviced, the dealer will ask if I bought the car here. I suspect that I don't get a preferred appointment over a "regular" customer.

I think I will enjoy working with Toyota.

I'm curious to see which service department will fully understand the unique requirements of the Prius. I did talk to the internet sales managers today...now I have to get serious and write the check. :D

Cheers,

Larry

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are going to be shopping around for the best price, you might think about driving a couple hours south, to Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach. They are the ONLY dealer I have found in south Florida that doesn't put a "dealer fee" (read "markup") on the sticker price. You can get it serviced anywhere, so don't let that stop you.

9. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well this might interest you then. I just got this email from my sales guy that I bought my Prius from:

Next Thursday, January 18th, a brand new Earl Stewart TV ad will BLITZ Palm Beach County (includes northern Broward and Martin counties). It features Earl Stewart walking among row after row of Prius and talking about our huge selection. He will also announce that, for a limited time, we will be selling Prius at factory invoice. No Games. No Surprises. No Fees. The first REAL sale in the car business!!!

Who knows...maybe you should check it out?

10. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]374407[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the input. I will keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Larry

11. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I visited a dealer today after talking to the "Internet Manager" on the phone...there's a story here...

I told the Internet manager that I am ready to buy and don't want any games. Cash deal...no trade...easy.

Well, when I arrived, the manager was too busy to talk to me. He had to "man the phones". Sluffed me off to a salesman...a drunk salesman. The salesman kept opening the windows of the demo to let the fumes out. He knew nothing at all about the car. I asked to see where the 12 volt battery was...he didn't know.

I asked how many service people were certified by toyota for the Prius. He said they all were trained by Toyota...I know better...I later talked to the service manager.

Then I waited 10 minutes for the closer to arrive discuss the deal. We had stood up to leave and then suddenly they arrived. I was asked "how much do you want to pay for this car" and "how much would it take to get you to drive out of here in it today". Typical California approach to sales. My wife looked at me and said "we're leaving, aren't we?"

We got up and told the sales team that they had my number...If they wanted to sell a car, settle on their best price and call me. Then we walked out.

As I was arriving home, the phone was ringing. They had settled on a price. Seemed worth discussing...then he mentioned "taxes, license, and fees". I asked what fees. The fees brought the price back up to MSRP. Oh well, there are lots of other dealers in this area.

Don't think I'll buy a car from them...and won't get too near the service dept either...

No problem, mon...

Cheers,

Larry

12. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK...Finally did it...

Such a difference a day makes. I walked in, settled on a price and paid for the car in just a couple of hours. Negotiations went very smoothly. Easiest car I've bought in years. I suspect we were both happy with the results.

Now I have a lot to learn. Even after all the internet research I have done, there things I will just have to become familiar with over time.

Cheers,

Larry

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) WAY TO GO, LARRY!!

Boy, OH Boy... are you in for a great time learning all the "goodies" of your new Prius.

Although the Owner's Manual is not "easy" reading, it does have scads of useful information. Since the Index is somewhat limited, I made a habit of making my own "Index" on a blank page in the back - for things I might want to re-read later, and those which I might share with other Prius owners here in PriusChat.

You didn't say which Dealer was crummy and which was good - other Floridians might appreciate knowing. The color and "package" you bought is also of interest to us all. Just post your questions on PriusChat and you'll get good responses.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lchamp @ Jan 13 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]375178[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations. Consider logging your mileage at www.greenhybrid.com and enjoy the driving experience.

15. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jan 13 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]375186[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the Owner's Manual is quite a piece. Some things aren't working exactly like I expected, but I'll learn.

I didn't mention the dealers involved. If anyone is really interested they can PM or e-mail and I can give details.

Car is Classic Silver...I will get my sig updated soon.

I got Package 2 because I already have my own very good portable GPS and satellite radio.

Cheers,

Larry

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I grew up in Melbourne and my parents bought cars from the Toyota dealer there. I dealt with that dealer for parts and service for my parents Camry and was always impressed with them. I still occasionally buy parts from them since it's cheaper even when I factor in the shipping than buying locally. If you are in that area you might give them a try.

17. terrysays

terrysays New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lchamp @ Jan 11 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]374213[/snapback]</div>
    :p I just wrote such a long reply and back spaced and lost the whole darn thing, To make a long story short, I got my Prius from Steve at mike erdman toyota merritt island. I wouldnt ever buy from that sales man again, after getting my non refundable 500.00 deposit, he lied to me and was very pushy trying to get me to buy a 2005 Prius instead, One I had no interest in. He also told me he would give me $200 for each car sale I got him. I came back to get a thundra truck with my husband. Steve said oh no that dosnt count your husband is already a customer, Needless to say a returned the next day with the Thundra my husband got at melborne Toyota, Steve asked why didnt u buy it from me, he was pissed, My husband said, first of all you didnt concider me a new costumer, since my wife already spent over 30,000. dollars here, so I went where I was a new customer and I got a much better price. The sales man at melbourne was a older man,, a very great guy,, no what u want to pay and stick to your guns, walk out if u have to. I would call all there and get exact prices, totals after all fees, cause they all play games when u actually sit down to pay for it. I went and looked and drove a few at two different dealers, I refused to leave my phone number. Then you see who priced what how and then call and get total amount over the phone, faxed if u can. The extended warranty is much cheaper on here, You might want to make sure that florida toyota backs the warranty that they sell here. I need to find that out also... Great luck with your new car.

18. terrysays

terrysays New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lchamp @ Jan 11 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]374213[/snapback]</div>
    OH Gosh I am editing this, I am sorry I thought I lost the above reply, I lost the one before that. So You got two replys almost the same,, sorry..
    I wouldnt use Merrit Island, The salesman Steve lied to me and was very sneaky. He also tried to talk me into a 2005 Prius after getting my non refundable $500.00 deposit. When prices the Priuse in 05 for the 06 the best price I got was from Merrit Island but things was added that I didnt want, like a hundred dollar strip that cost about 15 bucks to buy. If u listen to him talk you catch him in many contridicting statement, lies.. lol. After spending over 30,000 on my Prius, Steve told me that he would give me 200 for each sale I get him. I went back the next day with my husband to buy a Thundra for him. Steve said oh no I cant give u the 200.00 cause your husband isnt a new customer. Needless to say he lost his almost new costomer, we went to melborne and got the Thundra there and it was a great price. Melbourne has new owners, I cant remember the sales man from melbourns name, He was a older man , gray hair and was great, no presure. I have more to say but am out of time, Best of luck, Sorry for the poor spelling,,

19. terrysays

terrysays New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lchamp @ Jan 14 2007, 08:32 AM) [snapback]375458[/snapback]</div>
    Lary best of luck with your new toy, as they are fun cars. I was wondering if you found out if the melborne, or other central florida toyota dealers back the extended warranty that is sold on this site. When I went there to ask they tried very hard to get me to buy it from them, I never got a answer if they back the one sold here, I cant recall the name of the extended warranty on here, but I was told some Florida dealers might not accept the warranty sold on here. I am wanting to buy it but am fearful, Hopefully you will already have the answer.
    Thanks Terry

20. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terrysays @ Feb 6 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]386541[/snapback]</div>
    It is quite a fun toy. I've had the car a month and a little over 2000 miles. Averaging a little over 51mpg overall.

I haven't really looked at the extended warranty yet. I would be interested if any other Florida Prius owners have any input to that.

Cheers,

Larry