1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm having really bad results with exterior trim protectants

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cycledrum, Sep 12, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I applied Meguiar's Supreme Shine protectant from a new bottle, it is for vinyl, rubber, plastic trim. I put in on with a cloth mostly on plastic exterior trim, wiped excess off.

This morning it showered a bit at work. The trim looks terrible! It's all full of streaks. You can see the rain made the protectant on trim on top of door .... run down onto the paint on the door.

This stuff seems like garbage! Unless one must wipe every bit of excess of the trim which seems stupid. I've seen something similar using Meguiar's vinyl and rubber protectant. I've been avoiding trim protectants, but it's something that needs to be kept up with.

Would 303 aerospace protectant be good for the plastic on like, the rear window wiper, between side windows, etc ... ?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked to an advisor at Meguiar's who confirmed the protectant is water-based, that's why it runs off if it rains soon after applying.

The advice was to wipe off all excess product after applying.

So, how does 303 protectant not run off with rain?

Answer (from 303 advisor :) : must wipe 303 completely dry after application.

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use 303, more because it came highly recommended for its protective qualities than how it looks. Seems to be doing well. Like you were told, it must be wiped dry to avoid a streaking or spotting appearance.

8. Dobey

Dobey New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone verify that 303 aerospace protectant does not dull black plastic trim nor give it a matte or flat black appearance?

I've got a supplier for 303 picked out but don't want to be disappointed after getting a $15 bottle.

I ask because the Meguiar's Supreme Shine protectant has dulled the exterior black plastic between the driver / passenger doors, turning it to more of a matte of flat black finish. I used as directed - wipe on, wipe excess dry. Plus, it shows spots if water sprinkles on it. Bad stuff. I'll use it on tires though.