1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm hooked...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lurker, Jun 6, 2007.

1. lurker

lurker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lurked on these boards for a long time researching the possible purchase of a Prius, and after much deliberation, I actually went for a test drive yesterday.

It was a preowned 2004 Package #2 with 40,000 miles.

I followed the tips I've read numerous times about how to increase your fuel economy and put them to the test.

I test drove the vehicle at a range of speeds up to 60 mph for 12 miles. Using the tips, I was able to accomplish an average of 57.6 over those 12 miles. Obviously, I'm hooked.

I didn't buy the car -- I'm waiting for a new one, but I've got to ask -- how long does the initial "crush" period last on these cars? It's pretty sick, but I felt like I was 16 years old again. I don't care what anyone says, these cars are fun to drive.

2. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lurker @ Jun 6 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]456681[/snapback]</div>

Do you link for these tips?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lurker @ Jun 6 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]456681[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for over a year now, and I'm still hooked. B)

Tom

4. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The crush will only last as long as gas is over $2.00 a gallon. The neat thing is that the crush actually gets stronger after you pay for a timing belt change or brake work on second car and realize you won't be doing that on the Prius. The crush also gets stronger when gas is above $2.50. Just imagine how good it will feel above $3.00. The only thing that will damage the crush is the next generation Prius (does that count)or an electric car.

5. lurker

lurker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The really funny thing is, when I checked the trip mileage when I first got in the car, it was showing only 24.4 mpg on 12 miles. I reset, and then got over 57 on my 12 miles. As far as driving style = mpg, the defense rests.

The dealer was actually somewhat suprised by that since the dealership is in a hilly area.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The crush has a time limit? News to me...
    _H*

7. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

During any 12 mile period your mileage can vary wildly depending on many factors. Those same 12 miles when driving up in elevation could have just as easy averaged 30mpg. Just be ok with yourself if you average around 48, which is still nothing to sneeze at :) Getting a 60+ mpg tank will take some determination.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jun 6 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]456706[/snapback]</div>
    Come out to the S.F. Bay Area. We haven't seen $2.50 gas for at least 2 years. Right now, we are at $3.45 for regular. Needless to say, the crush is pretty strong; nothing like giving the middle-fingered salute to the oil companies! The only thing that would be better is a PHEV conversion plugged into a photovoltaic array - then I could give the middle-fingered salute to both the oil companies and PG&E.

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my barcelona beauty since april 14th 2006 (almost 14 months now) and I oogle and gawk back at the magnificence of my car literally every time I walk away from it (which I do so with sadness)... I never could have thought I could love an inanimate object as much as I love my Prius... and I only like it more and more as gas prices go up and up... But why is gas here now 2.98/gal... it was over 3.70/gal like 2 weeks ago!