1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm looking at a '16/17 Prius 3 Touring, and I have a noob question or two

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by chuckiechan, Jun 6, 2016.

1. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First of all, the "Homelink mirror" is deleted. Have they given us gate/garage door buttons somewhere else, or do I have to have it installed as "aftermarket"?

And for those with Homelink, does the rear horizontal trim still interfere with the light sensor? (If you have a '15 on back, you know what I mean. It casts a shadow that inhibits the performance of the mirror's light sensor as it reads the brightness of lights behind you and dims accordingly.)

It appears that the trunk well is gone? In my '13 it holds four bags of groceries perfectly, plus party and pot luck foods that might spill in transit. I'm gonna miss that.

What's the reason for the change from Ni Cad to Lithium batteries? Which has the better lifespan?

It seems they took some things I want out and are selling them back to me in the Prius 3 touring model.

Lastly on the Prius 4 they are talking about a "Tire repair kit"... AKA "Fix a Flat", correct? Most flat's I've had on the road have left the tire shredded. It must be pretty good stuff!

2. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't comment on the rest, but I have some experience with tire repair kits. I got a flat in my SRT Charger in Montana on a Sunday. I couldn't find a tire shop that was open between where I was and Colorado so I used the air compressor and the goop it pumps in, no trouble all the way home running at 85+ mph. A day or two later I had a tire shop fix the tire and clean it out, no real issue using it.

Also; I keep tire plug kits in my Jeep. They work great for rock tears and holes you might get while offroad. A friend of mine ripped a couple of small holes in his sidewall at the begining of last summer, we put about pencil sized plugs in them and he drove it that way until winter when he got new tires. Now I don't think you should be doing that, but in general tire plugs work much better than people give them credit for. In general, I think most of the time most people are fine with a tire repair kit and road side assistance. I prefer having a spare myself because I drive in some pretty remote areas and I don't want to be stranded over something as silly as a blown tire. In all my years of driving and a lot of time spent far off road I've only needed a spare tire one time.

ETP likes this.
  3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ditto, I can only comment on the Touring. It has Homelink and it works fine.

Curious did the Three have a Moon roof?

4. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine has a moonroof. it seemed to me like the three touring couldn't have a moonroof but you couldn't get the blind spot monitoring system on just a three.... Toyota's packaging really annoyed me.

ETP likes this.
  5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds familiar. I am struggling with iPhone 5s texting functions at this time. Siri seems to work as well as calling functions.

6. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my first Prius, I had to have an aftermarket shop install the Homelink. In my 2013 it came with it.

It's not shown as a standard option, so it's probably a dealer installed option at twice the price.

We'll probably do a three touring. I have no clue as to the real differences. I wish the gas tank was larger, but they shrunk it by 1/2 gallon, it seems.

Forget the tire repair kit. I'm not buying a four anyway. I won't buy a car without an inflated spare tire. Plug this, Prius!

ETP likes this.
  7. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Consider the AT package if you can find one.:):) Love the wheels and tires on these.

So the 3T has a spare?

8. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It seems that the 3T has a spare tire. I expect my wife to call AAA to fix it, not to tow her to a garage that has a tire buster and sell us a $500 tire because we are in a bind.

I'm not familiar with the AT package.

I'm miffed by what I'm losing from my 2013 P3. The grocery well in the trunk, the heated seats, Homelink, lousy AM radio, bothersome road noise...

And the navigator in Toyota sucks. Too much button work. I have a old school Magellen that was obviously designed by someone that actually uses a navigator in an automobile.. but that is another story.

And there is a "frequency drift" in the AM radio when you land on or engage the "AM Stereo"... "No one listens to AM anymore is not a valid excuse". So a flaw was allowed to roll over to another model year. That bothers me.

The crown on Toyota's head is slipping a bit IMO.

And my P3 is very noisy on the freeway. Sound deadening adds weight. I get that. Anything for that extra one MPG.

But. It's my wife's daily driver, so I buy her what she wants.

ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm with you about the heated seats and homelink, both I could have gotten in a touring but then I lost the option for the advance tech package. I don't know the magic of the grocery well so I may not understand what I'm missing but my guess is the new rear suspension eats up that space. If that's the case I'd much rather have the decent rear suspension than a hole in my trunk to store things. The AM radio.... well no one listens to AM radio.... I put it right there with the CD player. Get rid of it, save me some money and space, if you're afraid to commit to that make it an option for the dinosaurs who think they still use it.

10. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The AM is part of the regular radio. It's the principle of having a known, uncorrected flaw. I don't expect this from Toyota.

The grocery well. I call it that because it holds four bags just perfectly. It must have been designed that way. And we are always going to one house or the other with food that can leak or spill. That's the magic of the grocery well. ;)

I'll just have to buy a Homelink and pay to have it installed. Not a big deal. But really, what car doesn't have garage door buttons built in now a days? Why, why, why... drives me nuts.

I'm thinking about having the 3T undercoated when I buy it if I can find a shop that will do it. I used to buy used Honda Accords when I was in a particular sales job, and one I bought was undercoated, and I did notice quite a difference.

Any ideas on sound deadening?

11. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not anything I've given much thought to as I don't notice much road noise. When I had a Jeep interior shot with line-x I did see a noticeable drop in road noise. But I'm betting that's more "rugged" than the typical Prius needs or wants. You could take it to a car stereo shop and get dynomatting installed on the floor and in the doors. You could do it yourself with an off-brand for probably something around $100.

12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Hold your horses, Hoss! :) There are still LOTS of people who listen to news and talk radio on AM... AND still have and enjoy CDs. Let us Old Dudes live our life! Not everybody is addicted to their iPhones and iPods! (But of course, all us AM folks are over 60! :ROFLMAO:)

(Can you imagine a world with NO cell phones? When I was in High school, if I wanted to call somebody I had to drive around and look for a phone booth! And rock music was on only 2 AM stations!)

And chuckie, what kind of road noise are you talking about? Which model Prius? I just wear earplugs in my 2016 Three model, and it's all good! :LOL:

ETP likes this.
  13. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    And you could make prank phone calls (even from your home)... there was no Caller ID back then! :eek: Not that I ever did that. ;)

14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's correct, Uncut. Ok, this is way off topic. But when I was a little kid, our phone in the house (a "landline") was what they called a "Party Line." You'd go to make a call, and you'd hear other people talking! Back then, you had to share the wires. Or the airtime. Or whatever. You couldn't make a call until the other people hung up! Or, you could just sit there silently and eavesdrop on their conversations all day. No NSA needed! :D Very weird.

New modern technology and progress is very nice, and well needed. But I kind of miss the old, simpler times, when everything was easy to understand and operate. I never got a home computer until about 2006! I was way behind the times. And I've only owned a cell phone for about 3 years? And I still don't know how to work everything on it! :ROFLMAO:

ETP and PriUncut like this.
  15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing they say is nobody ever uses their sunroof. I use my sunroof every day. I use them in my other vehicles as well. Unless it's something like a truck with a really high roof I don't like driving vehicles without sunroofs.

krmcg likes this.
  17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Got rid of both of mine and gave one to my daughter. She uses it but I got to the point where the top eight applied to me.

18. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is anyone hearing if the new Prisus is selling? I'm hearing it is not, and I'm not seeing them around.

If they redesign the interior and put the "extras" back in, I might look for a price cut on the '17 models.

ETP likes this.
  19. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The last time I looked (a month ago) Prius sales were down quite a bit. But in all fairness, most other vehicles were also in decline.

Here is the mountain west I rarely see a new Prius .... and I look for them.
    It is going to be very interesting to see how it all plays out, but I'm supposing the new Hyundai Ioniq is going to take quite a 'bite' out of Prius sales, if the Ioniq measures up to the advanced hype. I really like the pictures I've seen of the Ioniq far more than the G4.
    In addition, we have a very aggressive Hyundai dealership in this area.

ETP likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they're down here too. But I suspect it's because fuel is cheap at the moment, so people are buying SUVs and twin-cab trucks. When fuel prices skyrocket again, sales will skyrocket again too. I understand Electric Vehicle sales are down too in many countries except where there is an "incentive" to buy them.

Even with cheap fuel, I couldn't see the sense of buying a Mazda 3 or Corolla which would use a realistic 8-9 litres/100km compared with my Prius which so far is averaging about 3.8 litres.

bisco and Felt like this.