1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm new, and I need a car

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TxMan, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naturally, you assume I need help with a prius..right?

nope.

I have been to a few other green-car boards, and haven't been able to get help.

I work in west texas, and spend a lot of time on the road, driving between oil rigs for my job. I also need to (occasionally) tow pumps, trailers, and workers...I also have a very small budget.

car needs to fit the following criteria, in order of importance:
    less than $3,500
    seating for at minimum 6
    towing capacity of 4-6 thousand pounds
    reliable (have basic mechanic training, can fix my own stuff)
    comfortable
    have at least some cool factor
    fuel efficient.

naturally, I figured a diesel suburban, or like an '82 E300TD estate would work.
    found this suburban, link was posted ages ago, but I emailed the guy and he still has it
    1991 Chevy suburban diesel

this one looks like its in bad shape, but his glow plugs are out (lol he has no idea) he wants a lot for it, but I know that area, and by the looks of his shop, I could trade him a case of beer and a rifle for it.
    1986 k20 suburban 6.2 dsl NEEDS WORK

found this '80 mercedes benze. its expensive, but it seats 7, has a torquey diesel that could *probably* do what I need it to, its a mercedes diesel so its unkillable and efficient. leather and AC make if comfortable, plus its straight up awesome.
    Mercedes 300 TD wagon

I am not opposed to gasoline vehicles, but the advantages to diesel are clear.

I'm here for input, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not my market segment. ;)

The thing I'd question on the Merc is parts cost and availability. Since this isn't Germany, Mid-size and large SUVs would seem like a safer bet.

Also, given your budget constraints, before you pick your diesel you might want to do some research to determine that it can run OK on B100, since that could significantly reduce your running costs.

3. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the 6.2 in both suburbans need modification, and custom fabricated parts for it. I have taken machining classes, but it would be less expensive, and with more bang to just turbocharge it.

personally, I am LOVING the merc, but I don't think it can tow what I need it to. this being redneck (I mean central) texas, having a large truck sends off a vibe I don't want it to.

also, getting diesel isn't a problem, I work on diesel pumps and generators, and get a diesel allowance for my work.

my friend has suggested extended A frame, and B frame GM models pre 1977, they are HUGE, but not trucks, have 7.5 liter+ engines, so towing isn't a problem, and something like a '74 miller meteor hearse is just badass. but feeding a caddy 500 (8.2 liter) for weekly trips to el paso, is just not something I want to do. I am going to call a mercedes shop, and see if I have any options with that wagon.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't understand why your having trouble getting good advice.:confused::rolleyes:

5. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    everyone specializes in ONE car, not a general knowledge of a section...plus its a very strange set of criteria that I am looking for.

also, another option recently came up- take the Ford 7.3 TD that is in my current work truck (has 237k on engine, 654k on actual truck) and stick it in a '70s galaxy 500 or lincoln town car. my friend has a smog-era lincoln mark IV, and I like the car, not the MPGs...this solves all the problems. I talked to my friend at the salvage yard (with the shop and everything needed to perform the swap, '77 town car included) and he said he'd do it all for a grand.

I would have to buy a new transmission though, and those ain't cheap.

called a mercedes tuning shop in houston today, its so expensive that that mercedes is no longer an option :(.

been looking at Cadillac hearses just for kicks and giggles. they can be had for less than 3k, if you're willing to travel for it (I am) but I need options to replace or tune that caddy 500 for more miles per gallon.
    also, this: 1973 Cadillac Hearse
    [​IMG]

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To be honest, you might have better help in the lower forum sections like the alt fuel for the Diesel based cars or Flex fuel. You might find more of them who would give better advice.

7. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^on the forum I am normally on, it is a spambot measure, so no one with less than 5 posts can start threads out of the introductions section. I figured a mod would move it to wherever

8. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  9. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe what TxMan is saying is that as a new user, he cannot post anywhere on PriusChat except on the Newbie Forum.

He'll need a mod to move it somewhere more appropriate, as he does not have the necessary permissions to post in Diesels.

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually... That is not true... When I first started here, I was posting in other sections right off the bat. It is the linking or putting up pictures requires a few more posts than that.

11. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That may not be the case on the new PriusChat.

The only way that you or I can verify is by creating brand spankin' new screen names and trying it.

I'm willing to take the risk of taking TxMan's statement at face value--there's not much risk to me in believing him.

12. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You misunderstand my post, however... I am not saying he is wrong for posting at all, only that his questions might be be better answered in those linked locations.

13. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the trans in my work truck is ticking away fellas, I have to make my rounds next week (~900 miles) and I don't think it can do it.

I found a '70 Superior coach (ambulance I think) in some local classifieds, for $800, has 52k on a caddy 500. I talked to a guy at a local customs/performance shop, and he thinks my best bet would be to put a dual exhaust system (some dummy put a single catalyst system on it, this is not required in texas, so I'm gunna chop it off) and some form of fuel injection. friend at salvage yard has some nice leather seats to put in the back, as well as a 700R4 transmission. all my sources say that I will be able to get 15 highway, which is what I get in my Ford, but this is cheap unleaded (have to use octane booster and a lead additive) so it will be about the same cost per mile as the truck. it also has a 45 gallon tank, same as my truck. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but I think this is the way to go. MPG's were last on my priority list anyway.

probably looks like this:
    [​IMG]

14. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its down to the Superior or the first suburban, which will get ~22 MPG on diesel, or the Superior which probably makes 6 as it sits.

I'm going to go look at both this weekend, but I would take the Superior over just another suburban...

15. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought the Superior.

6 MPG is a gross overstatement, it was stolen in 1974 (who the **** steals a hearse?) and the original drivetrain was pulled. the car was recovered, and an OEM engine was put in, but this being 1977, the emissions regulations were very harsh on the car-so a 1976 caddy 500 was put in (185 hp?) with smogged heads, smog pump, and a single exhaust with a catalyst was installed, with a hydro-something trans out of a '62 oldsmobile, (2 speed) and the diff was out of a '72 GMC heavy truck of some kind-meaning my RPMs redline at 75 miles per.

I paid $500 for it.

it started after a little tinkering, fresh gas and a carb tune. my friend at the salvage yard has some older (better) heads to put on it, along with a 700R4 trans, and a higher ring gear for the diff (2.10s, he thinks) with the .68 OD, through 2.10s on 16 inch tires, my final drive should be 1.482, which is good for towing on the higway, its also a posi, so plenty of grip on gravel roads, and for towing in mud.

no pictures, as my phone took a swim a week ago, but it looks a lot like this. paint is good, interior leather is better. its a new car. its stupid big to drive, but handles nicely, because of the long wheelbase and its very low center of gravity. once the engine isn't scaring the shit out of me with its revs, I think I will love this thing. but 2 miles a gallon highway is retarded.

[​IMG]

all things considered, the car will run me $2800 or so, ready for work. tomorrow, a whole bunch of co-workers and friends are going with me to the salvage yard so this thing will be ready for service.

if you are ever in central/west texas, and see a Cadillac hearse towing an oil derrick, you will immediately know its me, and I am content with my unique, new car.

16. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    today we:
    rebuilt top end on engine
    replaced transmission
    removed all emmissions systems
    installed tow bar
    installed seats in rear
    replaced tires
    replaces all 4 wheel bearings
    had it inspected
    detailed everything
    pumped gas tank

upgraded to older pre-smog era heads that allow more air flow (more power) at the expense of emmissions, with a mild race cam, new lifters/pushrods/rockers/valves, with ported head and intake, also installed a fuel injection and engine management computer. should be 500+ horsepower, with at least 550 lb/ft of torque, this thing is a monster.

700R4 OD transmission, 4 speed.

new dual-exhaust cat-delete, let that american big-block breathe, no smog pump or any bullshit

hitch rated for 7,000 lbs, should be about what the car can pull

installed front buckets from 2 old lincolns in the back, leaving room for casket (tool box) and good trunk space

new tires and alignment (realized wheel bearings were bad here, all replaced) and inspection

car wash/wax, exterior and interior. you would think it was restored.

pumped 30 gallons of bad gas from the tank and filled it with fuel system cleaner and 45 gallons of premium+octane booster+lead additive. ($158.90) still don't know what to expect in way of economy. I expect 12-16 highway.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're sol.

18. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model: