1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm new here

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Green Cat, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Green Cat

Green Cat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We've had our Barcelona 07 hybrid for a little over a year. We love it. I spend a lot of time trying to better the gas mileage from the previous tank...some questions have come from this.
    Can we use higher octane gas? Higher than regular? Does it make any difference in the mileage? Basically, the highest mileage we got was about 4 weeks after we got this car...46 miles to the gallon....it was great and I read in the manual that once the car is broken in, it should do better....well, that hasn't happened.
    I've learned a few things since then. Winter gas sucks - or rather isn't very good for fuel economy. That's a great reason why our mileage is around 35-39 mpg. but we got the car in February of last year...same gas this year isn't it? I don't use the heater very much...if I do, I leave it on L, and only to warm up...We do use the A/C in the summer...we want to be comfortable. I try to hit the 99.9 mpg on the screen as much as I can. Lots of coasting and slight pumping of the accelerator. Early morning trips to work are less than 6 miles, so the first 5 minutes are very low -25mpg.
    I read the mileage tips from this forum...so I know that's characteristic.
    Is there any hope to get back into the 40s for mpg? We rarely get more than 40-42 in city. We have a lot of traffic lights here.
    There is a big difference between 38 and 46 mpg...
    We're still happy with the car because we also like the idea of being "Green".
    Glad to be here!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, you can use higher octane, and yes, it may make a difference. You will get worse mileage. There is no advantage to the higher octane, and two disadvantages: 1) It costs more, 2) You may get worse mileage.

Tom

3. Green Cat

Green Cat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Tom, have you noticed different results with different gas brands? The Toyota supervisor told us that Wal-mart gas is the best...Conoco was good too...but we haven't noticed any improvement with either. Thanks for your answer.

4. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your mileage drop is due primarily to the outside air temp.

I personally haven't noticed any difference among gas brands.

But I do avoid Exxon-Mobil on principle.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Green Cat, welcome to PriusChat! Short trips, and your drive to work counts as one, are a real hit on MPG. The Prius is designed to be a clean car, and the engine and exhaust system need to be warm to do that, so for the first bit of driving the ICE runs almost non-stop to heat things up.

There are several threads in the Knowledge Base about improving milage. An Engine Block Heater might really help you. Keep reading and good luck!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Different gas will produce different mileage, but it's hard to pin it on one brand or another. Many brands in an area are supplied through the same distributer, so when you buy from brand A and brand X you may very well get the same gas. There are regional and seasonal differences as well, and these are bigger. Winter gas usually produces lower mileage, even when weather is factored out. In our area they use 10% ethanol which has a lower energy density than all gas. There is not much you can do about it.

Tom

7. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    • When is the switch from winter to summer gas?
    • Do the different brands switch at different times?
    • Is there an announcement on theirwebsites?
    • When do they switch back in the fall?
    • What's the capital of North Dakota?
    • :pound:

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also don't try to drive while only using the battery that will make it worse. The energy from the battery should be used as little as possible. Try finding the no bars coasting that can be done under 40 MPH. I try to never get in the all yellow arrows state except while cruising through parking lots looking for a place to park. This winter I have averaged all pretty solid tanks (about 46 - 48) and its been pretty cold here in Ohio this year. Can't wait to see what Spring and Summer brings.