1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm picking up my brand new Prius tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bariswheel, Oct 29, 2007.

1. bariswheel

bariswheel New Member

I'm buying the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty through another source, but is there anything else I should be prepared to bargain? We've already agreed to the price of the car, except licensing and fees.

Any other tips, catch 22's to watch, etc.. before I pick up the Prius tomorrow would be very helpful

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bariswheel @ Oct 29 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]531809[/snapback]</div>
    Don't let them trick you into getting the Gap coverage, if you have a quality insurer and you were to total your vehicle they will cover what you owe regardless of what the dealer may tell you. They will say something like if you still owe 20,000 on it but its value is 15000 that you will be responsible for it unless you buy the gap coverage, but a quality insurance company which most prius drivers seem to have will cover that too.

3. bariswheel

bariswheel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Oct 28 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]531814[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good call, though I still need to talk to my insurance that I will buy a car tomorrow...I've mentioned it to them, yet I haven't asked them about 'gap insurance'. I'll have to ping them tomorrow on it before I go to the dealers, thanks for the heads up. How much is this gap insurance usually?

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch out for any fees that they tack on at the last minute as part of your licencing fee and stuff... especially anything suspiciously marked as a "dealer prep fee".

Aside from that, I'd look for the prius delivery checklist that's floating around here somewhere.

5. bariswheel

bariswheel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Oct 28 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]531825[/snapback]</div>
    Hadn't heard of the prius delivery checklist, thanks!

I hear Gap Insurance can be costly through the dealership. gap-insurance.com and my own insurance might offer cheaper deals. Since I'm financing most of the car, I think it would behoove me to purchase the gap insurance.

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bariswheel @ Oct 29 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]531819[/snapback]</div>
    I think it usually runs in the neighborhood of an extra $10 monthly.

7. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

If you are financing anything more than 100%, as I did ( rolling over negative equity from another car ), then Gap is a very smart thing to have. I do believe if you negotiate hard enough with the salesman up front, you can get them to lower the price on the gap ( typically between $500-$700 ).

I financed my car through statefarm bank who has wonderfully competitive interest rates, and they automatically cover gap for free.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bariswheel @ Oct 29 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]531809[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you've done some homework already, but you'll pay more for many prepaid maintenance packages than you would for the individual maintenance items, and may not have the choice of which shop to use. The Prius' maintenance requirements are minimal -- oil & filter changes, tire rotations, and air filters (engine and cabin) are pretty much the only routine ones. A generic (i.e., non-Prius specific) maintenance package might include items that the car doesn't need or doesn't even have (like a timing belt change). Air filters are an easy DIY job, taking two minutes max and no tools.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prepaid maintenance is a complete rip. Why get locked into taking it to one dealer?

Anyone who can afford a new car can afford *not* to buy an extended warranty. On average an extended warranty makes money for the seller, not the buyer.

The checklist (still mostly valid for 2008) is at
    http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 29 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]532031[/snapback]</div>
    I would skip the prepain maintenance program - I service all my Toyota's (4 of them) at my local Goodyear dealership - they do a better job and are half the price.

I did pick up the extended warranty - I did so through this website and not at the dealership and saved boku bucks. The only reason I choose to do the extended warranty was that I purchase my cars and keep them as long as possible. The extended warranty on my Audi saved me HUGE $'s; the one on my Sienna AWD has also covered the cost of the policy -- for complete openess - I did NOT buy the extended warranty on my '02 Lexus LS430 - and as of today with 95,000 miles on it - it has been perfect. In general, any Non-Lexus car that you purchase and intend to keep for either 7 years or 100,000 (which ever comes first) - it is tough to bet that you are going to be repair free for that period of time -- there are few repairs under the $1,000 range these days - and dont forget the cost of the rental car.

Best of luck. I love my "06 pck#7 Prius - 37,000+ miles - and only a burnt out headlight - simply love this car.

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is so easy for DIY service, skip the maintenance plan. If you're not a DIY'er, skip the plan anyway. There are lots of maintenance options without locking into the dealer, unless you love them for some reason. Mixed feelings about extended warranty. I bought into it in a weak moment at the dealer, even with "discount" I found it cheaper elsewhere. I've done well with extended warranties on other cars, but this one is a Toyota, and they seem to run forever.