1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm too chicken to use the Parking assist feature. What about you?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mudworm, Sep 14, 2018.

1. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My new Prius (2018 Prius Two with Safety Plus Package) offers the Intelligent Parking Assist. I thought it was cool and excited about the feature, but I found myself too chicken to give it a try. I believe the feature only works well if you try to back into a spot or parallel park between two vehicles -- it needs the two vehicles to adjust spaces. I'm so afraid that it might scratch others' cars or my own.

BTW, I'm a very seasoned driver, so I really don't NEED any assist. I can park on my own just fine. But I thought the "new age" technology sounded very cool and was tempted to use it even just for the experience.

What about you? Do you use it and are you impressed?

DLC82SV and Smaug1 like this.
  2. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be cautious but you HAVE to give it a shot. I've used both just for fun and it is awesome and a little disconcerting at first. The backend parking really only works well if there are two cars but will work if there's just one. I found that it doesn't quite park right with only a single car.

DLC82SV, bisco and Smaug1 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    salesman tried to get me to use it to back into an angled parking space at the dealership during a test drive.
    it started backing in, and was headed for the car next to the space when i slammed the brakes and bailed out.:eek:

DLC82SV and Smaug1 like this.
  4. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same package on my car, or I think I do!

From reading the manual, the car should do the steering as long as I keep it moving slowly by managing the throttle. I tried it once and it didn't work. I couldn't figure out what was happening. I may try again.

It's easy to park; visibility is reasonably good + rear camera + parking sensors all around...

I'm kind of chicken too. What if I want to back in between a car on one side and trees on the other? Will it work?

Usually where I would parallel park, there's a LOT of traffic waiting to get by. Not really a place to experiment and practice.

bisco likes this.
  5. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's what I read -- the space is not quite right if there is only one vehicle as reference point. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to parking and those crooked parking jobs make me cringe and I think the drivers are inconsiderate to others. For that reason, I'll not even consider using the feature unless there are two perfectly parked vehicles already. But still, I couldn't bring myself to...

Smaug1 likes this.
  6. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about a non-standard parking space. The key is to position the car before you try to park. The car uses the sensors to identify the cars around it and therefore the parking spot.

Smaug1 likes this.
  7. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I've used it a lot for tight spaces. While I'm not bad at parking, there are some spaces I just wouldn't even try. Every morning I take my kids to school and I have to reverse parallel park on the opposite side of the road, in gaps that appear half the size of the car. I have to do it quickly due to oncoming traffic. Luckily, the car is REALLY good at knowing if you can fit into a space or not, and it's really good at getting in them quickly, usually in one swing. I just move over into the other lane, indicate, and hit the parking button, and drive past the line of cars. If it doesn't find a space I know there are none the car will fit into, manually or automatically, and I park further away. Sure, it's scary, and it can get very close to other cars, and many times I didn't trust it and aborted, but now I DO trust it. I use it twice daily, and it works every time it finds a space. It gets me in spaces I would otherwise not try, and it prevents me trying several spaces only to find they're too small.

Just give it a go. Once you've used it a few tens of times you'll never look back.

#7 The Professor, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    kithmo, alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  8. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha, I'm glad that someone is making use of the cool feature. In reality, 99% of the parking situation I deal with on a daily basis does not involve any tight maneuver. Head in parking with plenty of space around, plain and simple. It was more curiosity than necessity for me.

9. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    'know what worries me the most? If I use it, I'll lose the skill to parallel park manually.

I never back in park, I always back out, so I'm not worried about that feature. But if I did, I wouldn't want to lose THAT skill either!

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    See if it works by practicing parking between a couple of cones.

11. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I suspect that won't work. The sensors need to measure where the car in front and behind where you want to park is, and they seem to measure at least half way along the length of the vehicles. Cones aren't going to simulate enough of a side of a vehicle, and the Prius won't detect it as a space.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, not afraid. I love the IPA and use it all the time.

13. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I bought my car the sales guy tried it (parallel parking) out. Total fail. I too slammed on the brakes for fear of backing into a car. However, if there is ample space and time with no concern about nearby traffic, I may try it someday.

14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was talk about it a while back - there are a few YouTube videos which might help. Mine hasn't got it - they don't offer it in Australia. I have a friend with it on his VW, he first tried it where there was a wide park, he tried a couple of times in different places, says that he doesn't even try doing it manually any more, he's so confident with it.

This is is TOYOTA's video:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's an "MID"? (n)

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm - no idea - only sort I know about is a ".mid" as a MIDI file.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't have the "park assist" or safety package. But I doubt I'd ever use it. I park my Prius far away from other cars as much as possible. No door dings, no bumper rash, and I need the exercise walking. :)

Let's all be glad we are not driving a 1968 Buick. How in the heck did they ever parallel park those huge beasts?!

In America... the stupid thinking was/is bigger is always better! :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0408.JPG

#17 Starship16, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Particularly if you learned to drive on something like this:
    upload_2018-9-15_19-29-36.png

[Buick 5660mm long, Viva 4100 long]

#18 alanclarkeau, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  19. Prius O Matic

Prius O Matic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've used it twice. Both times backing. I hadn't had to touch the throttle. I just released the brake and it moves fine.
    For me it's a novelty but an extremely slick feature. One I will rarely have the opportunity to exploit. Now, if I had to parallel park more often the story may be different only because it has been years since I've needed to do that. Maybe we'll go hunting for some this weekend. It's good to have a goal, right?

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my driving test in a 1966 Buick LeSabre and passed. (n)

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.