1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Im Travelling to Paris!

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by wstevensiv, May 26, 2011.

1. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife and I are taking a trip to Paris this coming week and just wanted to see if I could get some feedback from some Parisans(spelling?)

We are flying into CDG airport and will arrive at 830am. At that point I think we will try and catch the RER-B to St Michel Notre Dame and then the RER-C to check into our hotel for the first night.

We will be staying at Hotel Jardins d'Eiffel.

The next day, after much touristing, we will move to our second hotel. It was my favorite during the search for a place to stay but unfortunately, they didnt have a room for our first night in Paris. But we will stay there for two nights and then leave Paris for Ireland.

Do you guys have any advice on what to see/what not to see? Any places I should avoid for safety issues? Any general behaviors from Americans that would disrespect the french?

Help me out! haha...

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy a tourist pass for the Metro. You use them just like normal Metro tickets, but they come out on the other side, ready to be reused.

There are way too many things to do and see in Paris. I've never had enough time, even having been there four times. The guidebooks have all the information you need for the standard attractions, so I am going to offer just one bit of advice: make time to sit and enjoy the ambiance. Get some pastry and coffee, sit on a bench, and watch the people go by. Enjoy the little things that are different. Paris is a lovely city.

Tom

3. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't speak French I think it's generally polite to start with a "bonjour". They'll know immediately you need to be spoken to in English, but it avoids the annoyance of a foreigner assuming you speak their language (that said, they all will).

Montmartre at sunrise or sunset. If you can get up early, sunrise is best, no one will be there, all other times of day it'll be swarming with huge groups of tourists. As with most places ignore people trying to sell you stuff.

The Arab World Institute (L'Institut du monde arabe - Bienvenue à l) has a beautiful collection, and also a really cool, different view of the city from the top of the building, since it's more on a side you're unlikely to visit.

Le Marais is an adorable neighborhood, next to the Centre Pompidou, which I also love. It's sort of the gay neighborhood, so if you're there at night don't be alarmed :) Nearby there's also the Dans le noir restaurant, where you eat in pitch darkness (you put your cell phones, lit watches, etc., in a locker beforehand) served by blind waitstaff. A somewhat pricey choice but so cool to try out. Have fun pouring your water. Map with address is here:

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=51,+rue+Quincampoix+75004+PARIS&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.911557,79.189453&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=51+Rue+Quincampoix,+75004+Paris,+Ile-de-France,+France&t=h&z=16]51, rue Quincampoix 75004 PARIS - Google Maps[/ame]

Speaking of maps, if you need one once you're there, look for this one with the dark blue cover in a bookstore or street vendor. It's teeny but with every single street, Métro stop, and museum in Paris:http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/2707202428?tag=priuschatcom-20 onto your stuff on the RER by the way haha

You'll be there around the first of the month it sounds? First Sunday of the month most museums are free, they'll be swamped, of course.

Make sure you're in viewing distance of the Tour Eiffel sometime when it's dark, for the first five minutes of the hour, when it'll go crazy with glittering lights.

Don't need to leave more than a euro tip (max) for restaurants, they get paid wages and don't expect tips like in the US.

Wow, I'm getting all nostalgic now...just have fun, say hello to it for me!

4. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PS, carry Euros with you, they might not always take credit cards like here.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's always the hop-on/hop-off city tour. I think it's €22. A little pricey but I imagine it would hit all the touristy spots. I was on a tour (just 3 weeks ago actually) so they took us to the places as part of the package. I would say the usual spots are a good start

- Eiffel Tower (Tour D'Eiffel)
    - Louvre if you have time (like Mike said, it's free on the first Sunday of the month)
    - A stroll down the Champs D'Elysées (There's a Toyota showroom there with the Auris Hybrid, iQ and the Motor Triathalon concept car as well as the European Prius PHV)
    - Notre Dame
    - Basilique Sacre Coeur

We were only there for a day (arrived the night before and left the day after the city tour) so we didn't have much time to see everything but we managed to see a bit of whatever I've listed above except for the basilica (part of an optional excursion which we declined so that we could spend more time in the city)

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only had about 2 days to look around Paris and have seen the above other than the Notre Dame. If you like art, OMG, you could spend a week in Le Louvre.

Be very careful about the string men if you go to Sacre Coeur and take the tram down. I didn't know about these and what the deal was until I encountered them and looked them up later. Google for Sacre Coeur string men. When I got to tthe bottom, a whole bunch of African guys came up to me, blocking my way, wanting me to put my finger in their loop of string despite me saying "no!" Some of them might've even shoved me (memory of that is a bit foggy).

Be prepared to spend (possibly a lot of) time waiting in line to go up the Eiffel Tower, another line to go up higher in the tower and two more lines to come back down.

I'd always be wary of pickpockets (there are even signs in the Eiffel Tower elevators). I had no such trouble w/them in Europe when I went in December but I guess they come up in full force in warmer weather. Someone on my tour group did have someone try to pickpocket him in Italy (IIRC). Definitely don't keep your wallet in your back pocket. I got a Pacsafe wallet w/a chain (might've been http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=165) for my European trip and one of their laptop bags w/slash proof straps and bottom.

Homepage - Palace of Versailles is a nice place to visit too. Unfortunately, when I went in December, it was snowing so the gardens were closed (and snow covered) and some other areas were closed like The Grand Trianon.

Since you mention RER, there is http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...nings_or_Dangers-Paris-Pick_Pockets-BR-1.html and more mentions at http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-rermetro.cfm.

It's overall a nice city w/lots of stuff to see. I'd like to go back in the future. I do hear (from many sources, including a friend who stepped on some) that there's a big problem w/dog crap all over sidewalks. I didn't notice it but maybe it was due to the snowy and icy weather. (covered? nobody walking their dogs?)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Louvre was superb. We only had a few hours but according to the local guide, if you spent a few seconds at each artefact, it'll take you 6 weeks to do the entire museum.

8. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow, what a response!

thank you all for the information, especially about the museums being free on sundays...this is so great!

I am really looking forward to it you all have given me some great info, thanks again!

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm going to echo what someone else said and remind you to take time to smell the roses, literally! We tended to alternate between museums, strolling in the many parks or through the neighborhoods, eating and of course the standard major excursions like Versailles and Sacre Cour.

One warning, there are automated machines for buying tickets at some metro stations, but they require a European style smart chip credit card. As far as I know, Amex is the only American card that will work. Same issue applies for the cheap vebo bike rentals. I think one alternative is to get a prepaid debit card from a European bank.

Also, there are tourist passes available that for a set number of days gets you into any of several different major attractions/museums. In many cases, that pass also let's you skip lines, since there is a separate entrance or line for people with the prepaid passes.

If you have an iPhone, there are lots of guidebook apps, metro apps and phrase books or translation apps avaiable.

10. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the Louvre has a 1 hour English speaking tour, true you could spend a month there but that 1 hour was great, there is also a guided fat tire bicycle tour, that is another great way to see the city, also there is no line at the Eiffel Tower if you use the stairs, 3 days in Paris, not enough. You know most restaurants don't have ketchup and most open at 7:30 for dinner.....
    quick go rent the movie "Amélie"

11. kathleenlepirate

kathleenlepirate New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone suggests Le Louvre and most suggest D'Orsay, but there's some other, more interesting (in my opinion) museums - particularly Musée de Rodin (the guy who did The Thinker) and Carnavalet (about the history of Paris). Rodin isn't far from the Eiffel Tower (it's the same stop as Les Invalides - a war museum and Napoleon's tomb) and Carnavalet is in the Jewish Quarter. Also there is L'As du Falafel, a good falafel place. The place across the street serves awesome falafel too (mi-va-mi? maybe? something like that).

I absolutely suggest you take a bateau-mouche ride - a boat tour of the city. In this weather, the evening is best, but I think they close relatively early so check the times! You grab the boat at Pont Neuf ("New Bridge" - the oldest in the city).

Earlier post was right about the string men, but you don't really need to take the tram, there's ways down the side of Sacre-Coeur. They tried to pull that stuff on me while my mom was visiting and with me. I got so annoyed I started swearing at them in French....they did not like that....

Be careful on the RER - where is your first hotel located? Don't let anyone help you load your bags.

Have fun!

12. kathleenlepirate

kathleenlepirate New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, check out SANDEMANs NEW Europe | Home of the Famous Free Tour
    They have Paris and Dublin tours (my mom did the Paris tour & I've done the Dublin tour). It's really interesting - they give you the more interesting stories than just the canned boring histories. Plus it's free! You tip at the end, based on how much you felt it was worth and how much you can afford. Their philosophy is that everyone should be able to sightsee, on any budget.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, you definitely don't need to take the tram down. For me, I had already walked up via not the most ideal path but didn't want to risk slipping and falling on the way down since it was icy and snowy when I was there. I had enough extra Metro tickets (had bought a carnet of 10).

I also did go to The War Museum - Muse de l'Arme in Paris but with limited time, it's not a must see. It depends on your interests.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if the rules have changed since we were there in 2004, but the Louvre/art museums seemed to allow cameras/taking photos of the art. That was fun. Mona Lisa and all.

15. Kevin123

Kevin123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The Hotels are really good in Paris.