1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm worried about my cat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tunabreath, Dec 29, 2005.

1. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My cat Laptop is at the vet right now having some tests done. The vet was concerned at her checkup last week because Laptop had lost 2 pounds in 2 years (for some reason, they didn't weigh her at her checkup last year). The vet did some blood tests, and everything was fine except for an elevated calcium level, which she said may be a marker for some kinds of cancer, so she asked me to bring Laptop back in for x-rays, which I did today. It turns out that she's lost half a pound in the last week! I left her there so they could collect a urine sample as well as doing the x-rays, and I'm supposed to call the vet in a few hours.

I wasn't that worried before (she's overweight, so the weight loss over 2 years could have been a good thing, and she just isn't acting like she's sick), but the fact that she's lost more than 3% of her body weight in a week has me pretty concerned. I'm trying to tell myself that the vet's scale may not be accurate, or that she may have lost weight this week because I've had houseguests for the last few days, and all the cats are stressed out by that.

Normally, I'd be hugging my two other cats at this point, but they're hiding under the bed because they know I took Laptop to the vet.

So... please tell me some cat stories to cheer me up. Are your cats curled up peacefully by the fireplace? Are they stalking (or being stalked by) your Roomba? Have they shredded your Prius manual?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    two kitties sitting in a row in front of my back porch sliding doors, staring at birds right now.

can't tell you how many decorative items they've knocked off various surfaces in our home.

when ajax was a kitten he liked to play with the little ring that comes off the cap on your milk cartons. when we moved out of our first apartment we found 74 of those things under the refrigerator.

darien insists on laying on top of anything that's on the floor that doesn't belong there (magazines, newspapers, notebooks, textbooks, you name it)

a kitty from my hometown in NE WI managed to get herself flown to somewhere in France earlier this year. she was returned safely home, but her family said she was grounded.

hope your kitty turns out to be okay.

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. Hopefully, everything will be okay and Laptop will be back to her fat happy self in no time! Laptop is a great cat name, by the way. We have two. Sushi or Fatty as we like to call her & Spock. Spock is a siamese and thinks he's a person. He sleeps in between us every night with his body under the covers and his head on my pillow. Sushi loves her daddy and dislikes everyone else... unless of course you're offering her food. She loves mango ice cream and so I sometimes let her lick the pint top. Our friend gave us a remote controlled mouse for Xmas. It's almost the size of Sushi and they love it.

4. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the stories and the well-wishes.

I love that two-cats-in-a-row thing. I call it "parallel kitties".

I once opened the door to a seldom-used closet and was startled by the sight of some unidentifiable hideously ugly animal on the closet floor. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a huge pile of toy mice. The bottom of the closet door didn't quite reach the floor, so the cats could bat mice into the closet but not retrieve them.
    Holly crawls under the covers every night and stays there for about 15 seconds. I think she's just asserting her right to be there.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gizmo, our three year old Seal Point Siamese, also sleeps between us . . . with his head on my wife’s pillow, and you-know-what near my face.

He is currently in his ‘kitty cave.†After Gizmo sees my wife off to work in the morning, he comes back to bed, nuzzles me awake and asks for me to make him his kitty cave (two pillows placed under the blankets, place on edge and arranged to make space between). For him it’s a great place to curl-up and get some deep kitty sleep.

He will stay there till noon, since he knows we won’t let him outside before then.

After making the rounds of his outside territory, he hops up on our front porch glider, reaches up with an extended claw and pulls on the window screen and releases it with a bang - it’s his way of knocking on the door - he will continue to do so until we let him in.

How old is Laptop?
    Pets sure can be a lot of fun, but there is that inevitable end time - of which I have no experience.
    Since I had never before lived with a pet, my wife thought I would never want one. Gizmo was a Christmas present I gave to my wife.

Right on cue . . . there’s Gizmo. Aah . . . stretchy, purry, fury, licky bundle of joy. :)

6. tag

tag Senior Member

One of our cats has been fighting bladder infections...........for over five years. He seems to sort of mushroom up a few pounds in weight only to become as skinny as a rail a couple of months later. But the cat has otherwise been in excellent health during all this time. The vet just sort of gave up after tests didn't reveal anything serious and told us to forget it unless the cat's behavior changed markedly (e.g. became lethargic). It hasn't and right now he's in his "mushroom phase" (I suspect he may be snacking, from time-to-time, on the dog's food).

Hopefully, Laptop will be okay. :)

7. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aww, kitty cave. I love the way cats order us around -- um, I mean, communicate with us.

Laptop is 10 -- old enough to be technically considered geriatric, but not really "old" old.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hope this helps: http://www.geocities.com/tonypschaefer/nina/

Nina has a very soft coat which I attribute to regular brushings and Newman's Own Organic pet food. If you have never given your cat Newmans I suggest that you never start. Trust me, it's for your own good. Nina takes some of it, puts it on a spoon, melts it and then goes for the syringe. Our only saving grace is that without opposing thumbs she can't work the plunger. It's pathetic, actually. One morning I walked into the kitchen and she had a rubber band around her paw tapping for a vein.

We tried to hold an intervention but she just curled up and went to sleep. When we tried to withhold it from her, she applied for a firearm carrying permit. I made a big mistake when I got her a cell phone and a Paw Pilot for Christmas because now she has a series of contacts who can score her a gram or two of Newmans whenever she starts getting the chills and the shakes. We originally feared that the Newmans would simply be a gateway giblett into harder, more addictive foods. But it seems to be taking care of itself so far.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our cat Mycroft would sleep on the chest of our Newfs. She would purr and they were soft fluffy and warm.

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Wrong beds. But whatever works...good luck with your kitty. :huh:

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does Mycroft have a younger, more famous brother per chance?

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    One of my two, Misty, is a nerd. She started learning Windows XP at two months. At first she was so eager, she'd jump in my lap, then casually walk up the keeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyybbbbbbbbooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddd
    to look at the monitor. We had a discussion about that.

So she executed Plan B. She walks up behind me in stealth mode. Then she leaps to my shoulders, just clearing the back of my chair. She then drapes herself around my neck from shoulder to shoulder, like a mink stole. (I usually hunch over a little when on the computer, making me an easy mark.) I can feel the vibrations of her purring through the back of my neck.

From this perch she reads PC posts and dictates which ones I should respond to. She is also the source of most of polls, for which I should be held blameless.

13. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aww, cute pictures.

Laptop is home. So far there's no explanation for the weight loss. The x-rays showed that she's starting to get arthritis in her back and hips, and the vet thinks that the medial sternum area looks a little larger and denser than normal (which could be something like a tumor, or it could just be fat). I'm supposed to call for urinalysis results tomorrow, and then we may schedule an ultrasound or something.

The vet also mentioned that Laptop was alert and interested in everything going on in the hospital, and that she just doesn't seem like a cat who feels sick or is in pain. This has also been my impression, but it's nice to hear that from a professional. I know that cats are good at hiding pain, and that it's possible to have serious diseases without any symptoms, but I'm pretty sure she's enjoying a pretty good quality of life right now. Well, except for all the vet visits. :)

14. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My cats actually turn on my Roomba (It lives in the charging station, so it only take one button being stepped on) I'll come home to a vacuumed house without even trying!

I have alot of cat pictures up at my website . I really like the ones on page #23

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So the cats do the vaccuuming! So much for all the anti-cat fools who claim that cats don't earn their keep!

Leonardo would climb under the covers, wait for me to fall asleep, and then poke me gently with one claw. No pain, but enough to wake me up. I had to banish him from under the covers. He died of cancer 15 years ago, at the age of 15. I still miss him. He looked a lot like my avatar. Circumstances of my life have made it inconvenient to get another cat, but some day I hope to.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My old cat Blackie was my savior. One night after my sister died I had taken some Benedryl as I was having difficulty sleeping. Blackie wowuld not leave me alone though evenafter me threatening him within an inch!! I suddenly realized that he had a reason for his behavior... the unit next door was on fire. What I had thought was water running was actually crackling flames. We all got out and thankfully only had smoke damage and fried wires. The neighbors unit was gutted and her 2 cats died. Blackie, who normally never went out on his own, ran down our steps the next day and then up the neighbors steps and cried. I am talking wailing and tears. Tell me animals don't have souls.....

17. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    The big mouthed, chipmunk killer to the left is one of two brother cats we currently house. We're all happy to read that Laptop (great name!) is back and doing OK.

Hard to believe it's been 5 years almost to the night we lost our 18 year old cat FurFur. It seems like yesterday.

When that time comes for the rest of you, and sadly, it will, this website: http://www.petloss.com/ is a wonderful place.

18. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My Siamese kitten grew and did not realize it. He tried to walk around the edge of the bathtub, with my mother in it. He fell in. Mom screamed. I never laughed so hard in my life when I saw that elderly woman buck necked, standing up in the bathtub holding that soaking wet kitten. A picture is worth a thousand words. I'm sure kitty will be fine. Scales do weigh different. I just had the vet tell me not to worry about the 1/2 pound gain over the last year with one of mine, suggesting the scales in the rooms are all a bit different. Hopefully it will be nothing too bad.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My cat Dormir once clawed his way through the 2nd story window screen of my bedroom, looked around.. lost his balance and fell out. Landed in the backyard and was actually more interested in stalking something than falling out onto concrete.

When I first got him as a kitten, he immediately ran upstairs, and into the rabbit room, and tried to stare down the huge fluffy angora male 3 times his size, and the smaller dutch female 2 times his size. Of course the rabbits chased him around and out. Now, 2 years in, he's much bigger and 2x size of the dutch, and chases the dutch around until she gets pissed and chases him back.

Found him one day with a chunk of skin taken out of his left shoulder. It was about quarter or dollar coin sized, and big enough to see the flowing muscle behind it moving around as he walked with nonchalance. That took a quite a few stitches, a neck collar, and washing the wound for a couple weeks to heal up with him whining about the washing. It was a mystery how it happened because nothing within reach could've created that kind of wound and without any leftover evidence anywhere.

Last year, around Christmas week, I was vacationing in Tahoe and had a friend visiting to feed him, but he ran out when one roommate opened the door about 1-2 days into my vacation, and he basically disappeared for 4-5 days until I got back, being an only indoor cat previously. Came back, walked around the neighborhood - nothing. As I was pulling my luggage out of the car, he slides out from underneath some neighbor's SUV meowing and now wants to go in... Now he's an indoor, sometimes outdoor cat now, and there's a lot of cat paw prints on the Prius and my roommate's truck's windows now.