1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Images of crass political displays . . .

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As a parallel to geologyrox's “Musings on politics, and something like a change" topic . . .

CRASS POLITICAL DISPLAYS:

Its a phenomena which happens on all side of the political spectrum. One group uses its political might to hoist an in-your-face display on public property.

For instance, placing a display of the Ten Commandments in a courthouse. Not an “In-God-We-Trust,†but the actual Ten Commandments! Not cool. <_<
    Next thing you know, someone will demand equal time and want “noodly appendages†hanging from the ceiling . . . and , upon seeing said appendages, NAMBLA will demand other noodly appendages too . . . :rolleyes:

The image below is an example of something which strikes me as being quite crass and in your face. The plaque is located at the California Veterans Memorial on the grounds of the State Capitol in Sacramento.

[attachmentid=3793]

Do I believe gays served? YES.
    Do I believe lesbians served. YES.
    Do I believe bisexuals served? Whatever.
    Do I believe transgenders served? Not a chance.

So what next?
    Do we place a plaque honoring virgins?
    Do we place a plaque honoring asexual persons?
    How about members of NAMBLA?
    Or maybe those into bestiality?

Since when is honoring a veteran for their service incumbent upon honoring their sexual preference?

How about a plaque honoring veterans of war protests? Are they not “veterans� Did they not serve their country? :rolleyes:

Do you have an image of a crass political display? [sorry, but throwing up a picture of any politician will just demonstrate your level of immaturity.]

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I actually don't find that "in your face", nor have an issue with it (suprisingly huh?! lol ).

One of the best "in your face" examples I can think of, is a 2nd grade book depicting homosexuality, and arguing that if such book ISN'T put in front of kids, it will ultimately lead to irrational hatred... :rolleyes:

3. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Hmm, I don't think it's terribly in your face... I agree that it probably wasn't terribly necessary, but I can see how at a time when the military would just as soon disavow their existence, there can/should be some recognition.

I'll scare you with this: you'd be surprised how many transgendered people you've met. Likely you didn't even notice. I'm confidant that there have been transexuals serving in the military, likely folks who knew better (even before Don't Ask Don't Tell) than to announce to their bunkmates that they they enjoy dressing up as women for special occasions.

That said, I'd bet my favorite socks that the people paying the bills saw this particular stone as a political statement, even more than any genuine desire to show thanks to an unthanked group. Doesn't mean I'm not glad that it's up there - I'm sure to certain families it means the world. I just wouldn't be surprised if they had a big field day of its unveiling, calling in the press and making it into a stunt instead of the quiet memorial it probably should have been.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 13 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]270903[/snapback]</div>
    I'm always glad when someone makes the realization that we FSMrs are interested in mocking the mixture of church and state, instead of mocking the church. We don't want to have a real fight on our hands when real crazies want to showcase their protected 'appendages' in schools.