1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imagine a salesperson doing this

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jan 19, 2011.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For a moment, imagine you own a Chrysler and drive to a Toyota dealership.

You meet a salesman, and before much of a meaningful chat occurs, he looks at your Chrysler and the salesman exclaims: "You drive THAT!?"
    :lol::lol::lol:

"That's a POS!!!!"

After hearing a rant about how Consumer Reports rates Chrysler worst, the bailout, they only make guzzlers, he goes into Toyota quality, badgers they Chrysler driver to get if not a Prius, a Camry, etc.

Did the Chrysler driver trade in for a Toyota?

Does this sound like The Salesman of the Month?

...or even someone that will still be on the dealership's payroll a couple of months later?

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :rolleyes:Sales training 101 - insult your prospective buyer upon first meeting them so they'll buy what you're selling! What an idiot!

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You mean what genius. The entire advertising industry thrives by producing commercials that insult our intelligence, condescendingly grab us by the lapels and irritate us with incessant repetition. 99% of advertising is a calculated deceit. Why do business with someone whose opening overture to you is a deliberate deceit - but we do, with a reliability and consistency that keeps Madison Avenue in gravy to $200B/yr.

4. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wait a minute I thought they mostly used sex? :D

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the deceit, they use the hope of sex to sell their product, then you don't get any:D

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh I'm getting it I just wish it would last longer than 30 seconds. [​IMG] :pound:

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought I was transparent enough that many would see where I'm going.

The example I gave is exactly how atheism is sold on many threads here. In sales and many other human efforts to change minds they know better than to ridicule and insult potential converts, yet many times here that tact is used to promote atheism. For those that do it, I'm at a total loss if they actually think this promotes their beliefs
    or appear they have their act together.

1 person likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my god, you're not starting another religion thread, are you? :rolleyes:

3 people like this.
  9. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, there are some topics still visible on the Fred's threads index page that are NOT religious so we're still short and need more.

I thought you were describing something that actually happened to you at a dealership.

No quarrels there but I can't detect any difference at all between that and 99% of religious evangelizing other than advocates of atheism don't murder their failures.

It is puzzling that we so often in any attempt at persuasion resort to tactics that only deepen the rift. Some vestige of ancient circuitry in our minds that aeons ago served some survival or reproductive advantage now short circuits our ability to get ideas across and sparks fly. We resist it only through conscious and frequently very difficult effort.

It ain't limited to religious fractiousness, so as a general topic for discussion it can be explored without any reference at all to theism. That would keep this thread from being a religious one, but, as I pointed out above, we'll then have to make up for it somewhere else because we're still short.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before I return to my main point, my first exposure to spam was the result of my old IP selling my personal info as a mailing list. Suddenly I got XXX ads, often with language that might not even be allowed in FHOP....insulting my manhood in very graphic terms. So I had the urge to buy their male enhancement product - give me a break!!!!

Back to my analogy, that is essentially the sales pitch Daniel and occasionally others have made ad nauseum the past four years. Not directed at me, but people with similar views, but is there much difference?

"You are a idiot"

"A ****ing IDIOT"

Hundreds of times in a contemptful tone.

Care to figure how many others like me that never responded even belatedly as I did? More than a couple, I bet.

I'd find it ironic if Daniel attacked Jimmy Swaggart as the methods seem exactly the same.

He's on a self-imposed leave-of-absence because he feels entitled to use such "sales" tatics.

Anyone doing that is not exactly going to look like they are using best judgment attacking others like that.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have at least six really good comments to post in reply to these two...

... but I can't bring myself to do it. The gods of Prius Chat would ban me.

:tape:

:frusty:

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just do it! Go on, you know you want to.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What about the dealer who comes up to the driver and says," if you don't drive the car I drive, you'll go to hell, but it's your choice, and the creator of my car who created everything including you, loves you, but will still send you to an eternity of fire if you don't drive my car."

That' is EXACTLY how christianity is sold unless you were the victim of childhood indoctrination and thus had no opportunity to do any due diligence on the car you might have actually wanted to drive.

1 person likes this.
  14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently not. I must admit I hadn't thought of discussing ideas as 'selling', and until you pointed it out, I made no connection with your analogy and religion.

Not to speak for Daniel, but my hunch is that he wanted to calm down before re-engaging in discussion. The 'sales job' as you call it, can be pretty frustrating from this side of the pew. People who are religious tend not to put much faith in logic. Usually, without trying to be personal or insulting, logic and reason are pretty much useless as 'sales tactics' on those who refuse to accept their validity. Some religious claims are just so completely outrageous, and the 'arguments' in favour so illogical and circular, that sometimes derisive laughter is all that's left. It's not necessarily meant as an effective advertisement, nor as an attack.

Really, the onus of proof is on those making the claims. It's not up to the atheist or the agnostic to disprove virgin births, prayer, and eternal life. It's up to you to convince me to 'buy your product'. And it's not like I haven't heard the pitch before, nor given it serious consideration. I've already asked the door-to-door salespeople - those nicely dressed ones who seem to travel in matched pairs - to put me on their 'do not call' list. ;)

As for religious 'sales tactics', it's not effective to be cursed with eternal damnation. Some of the salespeople are surprisingly violent, evil, and threatening.

15. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a friend. He happens to be a unicorn and he can do magic too.
    I know, I know, you cant see him or touch him, neither can I
    He's here right now, over there, sitting on the recliner.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that's just mean taunting.

17. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look, I'm a 52 year old guy. I'm intelligent, responsible, kind, caring, patient and understanding.
    I believe in my Unicorn pal. It doesnt matter to me if you believe or you dont.
    He gives me the gift of contentment and of piece of mind. He's told me that anyone who believes in him will also have piece of mind and contentment. He also mentioned that believing in him is not a prerequisite to either. A person can have one or both without even knowing him.

I'm not mean and I wasnt taunting. I know hes real.

18. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think people who believe in religion are retarded.
    I also think people who drive 4x4's in cities are retarded.

Am i wrong?

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using that word is no longer PC. You should consider rewording.

20. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back to the original sales analogy at the start of this thread, the vast majority of readers deep down inside realize most sales people will befriend and be respectful of potential clients....find common interests, relate to them, etc. They do this by listening among other things. (contrast listening/interacting vs. venting)

Another thing good sales people understand is they can't win them all - they go after who is receptive and increase market share. Some for example may never buy Ford. For example, I will never buy computers from MicroCenter after they failed to honor a couple of mail-in rebates, THEN telemarket me for extended product coverage. :mad:

On the religion and politics threads, some are oblivious to "You can't win them all"....instead of agreeing to disagree, the discussion turns to combat, with opposing points more entrenched in their position, rather than moving towards common ground. There are a few such as Dr Bermann that probably less interested in honestly promoting his point of view, but rather raising as much hell as possible with his bait.