1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imagine if we were able to meet the most knowledgeable and educated person from the 14th century...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 16, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    he'd be a complete ignoramus on matters of medicine, geography, astronomy, and science even compared to a child. But he/she'd be on equal footing with anyone who was of the same religious persuasion.

I know, I know, "Here's burritos trolling again on yet another anti-christian thread." Well, I'm reading "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris and I thought that the above was too good a point not to pass on. Let me point out that it's not anti-christian, it's anti-religion which btw does not make the statement any less true. Just something to ponder.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]479719[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I don't agree with that.
    Education used to mean, a few centuries ago, a thorough knowledge of Latin, at least one or two other "classical" languages, a very competent grasp of the scientific method (which really hasn't changed), rather advanced mathematics, including calculus-like concepts, astronomy (stars really haven't changed their position that much), enough for a good grounding in continuing with astronomy, and anatomy.

As far as religion is concerned, well, you might actually be surprised at how much that has evolved over the centuries!

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's an overly simplistic comparison. The chosen parameters are hand-picked to avoid things like mathematics (we use centuries-old math in astronomy, medicine, etc.), engineering (it's really only machine power that puts us ahead of the ancient Egyptians, or the ancient Romans)...

What gives away the shallowness of the statement is saying that "even a child" would be more advanced. It's basically saying that because new facts have been collected and verified, people who may have been much more intelligent must now be thought of as somehow deficient.

I'd actually say the statement can easily be put on its head thusly: Science, our knowledge of the universe, of anatomy and geography are in constant flux. So they clearly can't be trusted for more than a few years at a time. Knowledge that Leonardo Da Vinci had in his day, is in many ways obsolete. So you can infer that much of the knowledge you have now will be obsolete (and can thus be essentially counted as unreliable).

Religion (although practices may change from society to society) remains largely unchanged, and is therefore inherently more worthy of your faith and your trust. The God you believe in today will pretty much be the same God your progeny will believe in centuries hence.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While it would be true that there would be much that they didn't know compared to us, I would think that the stress they put on education back then (for those that could afford it) and on the way of thinking would more than equal it out.

What's more important, knowing medicine, geography, astronomy, and science, or having a mind sharp enough to grasp new concepts when they're presented to you? The way most of our schools are run these days, they focus only on the knowledge part - how much can you remember - and not nearly enough on what is most important - what can you figure out from the given data.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]479719[/snapback]</div>
    I would actually recommend for you a study of comparative religions between the two time periods you mention. I can tell you that my religion has changed dramatically over that period of time - Women can become Rabbis, they are now called to the Torah, etc, etc - it has liberalized itself tremendously. There are religions that per chance have not.

You also paint with a very broad brush, too broad in my opinion.

I might also suggest not being so inflammatory when it comes to religion - you are not going to dissuade someone into not believing in God if they do so; and a lot of people will find it insulting. Everyone believes in religion, some believe in one God, others believe in zero Gods - but all people believe in something.

6. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I forgot to mention that, as far as religious knowledge, they'd be a bit better educated.

It's amazing to me how little the current crop of xtians know about their history, apologetics, theology, or even what the book SAYS about various things.

I mentioned a not-that-old theologian to one of our xtian family members as "a rather good apologist" and got back, "we don't have to apologize about nuthin'!" *blink*

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 16 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]479744[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I will agree that knowledge is in constant flux. I think it's constantly increasing.

I agree that religion remains unchanged.

But because it has remained unchanged means it is more worthy of one's faith and one's trust? I don't understand the logic of this statement. How long had slavery(which is acceptable in the bible) existed before its practice was marginalized? To claim that it was here before our modern understanding of science and factual knowledge means that it has to be true?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]479767[/snapback]</div>
    how do you know that what we currently understand as being true in a scientific or physical sense is really true? Have you disproved that God could exist? It is not just that someone cannot prove God exists that makes it impossible for God to exist - obviously if our science or knowledge base is so immature as it stands today.

Do not become a true believer - we will look much more backwards to those 600 years from now then those of the 14th century look to us - the rate of growth of science and knowledge change between tomorrows vs yesterdays will be staggering.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]479719[/snapback]</div>
    So, I see you are once again broadening your horizons by lapping up more anti-religion "knowledge." :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Um . . . what????

The calendar of Shoushi is one of the most famous calendars in
    ancient China (Needham 1959), which was recorded in the Lizhi
    (ancient calendar book of China) of Yuanshi (annals of the Yuan
    Dynasty fromAD1279 to 1367). Parts were translated by Gaubil
    (1732). Almost every part of this calendar has a corresponding
    section in the modern astronomical year book. It was the last
    calendar formulated only by Chinese astronomers and its period
    of usage (AD 1281−1644)was the longest one in ancient China.
    It was also a new calendar system which cast off the traditional
    method that computed from the epoch of the distant past. For
    counting, the basic constants were obtained by meticulous observations.
    The mathematical method adopted in this calendar
    came long before the foundation of Newton’s mechanical system,
    and summed up voluminous real measuring results.

According to the Shoushi calendar, the correction for solar motion
    is called Richan. It has functions M(C.) and N (C.) which
    were established for this calculation; they are denoted by:
    M© = 10−8 × 5133200 − (31 × C + 24600) × C) × C ;
    N© = 10−8 × 4870600 − (27 × C + 22100) × C) ×C ,

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin...p;filetype=.pdf

Ask a child what time it is and they may say, "the little hand is on the two, and the big hand is on the eleventeen." :wub: :)

Ask burritos about religion and he will point you to atheistic web link and ask, "what do you think." :huh: :rolleyes:

If science could time transport the most knowledgeable and educated person from the 14th century, he/she would learn to use a computer, read burritos' posts, and quickly proclaim him a snobbish, ignorant, atheistic troll. :p :lol:

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]479719[/snapback]</div>
    You could meet very knowledgeable people on the subject of medicine and science in the 14th century. Of course, you'd have to learn to speak Arabic in order to talk with them, but that's beside the point.

You could also meet very knowledgeable people in the areas of math and astronomy in the 14th century. They're called Mayans.

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 16 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]479762[/snapback]</div>
    Can two people believe in 2 different religions and both be right? I think if you believe in one, then the beliefs of the another are false.

Because when I fly in a plane, drive a car, ride an elevator, take medications, use the computer, or use/benefit from anything derived from chemical, biological, physical science, it works because of scientific research, scientific experimentation, and scientific engineering.

Nor have I disproved that Thor or Santa Clause exists either. You don't think we need to do a thorough due diligence of disproving these 2 entities do you?

12. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]479789[/snapback]</div>
    And therein lies the rub... why must a religion decree that all others are false?

Every single person is an individual. Every person's relationship with the Divine is as individual as they are. If some with similar relationships want to get together and celebrate their similarities, that is wonderful. However, what is NOT wonderful is those groups deciding that their relationship is the only valid relationship.

It's like saying that vanilla is a real flavor, and chocolate is not.

Someday, humanity will grow up, and discover that the things that we have in common are much, much more important than the things that are different... and that the differences are what make us interesting.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 16 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]479858[/snapback]</div>
    Except when people are killing each other over these imaginary differences. Do you respect Muslims that faithfully believe that you're an infidel for not believing that mohammed is the prophet and not believing that Allah is the one and only almighty? Do you think Jews welcome the chrisitian expectation that they must be annihilated for the chrisitan second coming to occur? How open is your mind for the mormon practice of polygamy and their past acceptances that blacks were subhuman?

Yes, american society today might help limit the action of past religious beliefs, no thanks to religion though. If it were up to religion we'd still be following these crazy dogmas to a tee. Humanity evolved despite religious beliefs and said no to some of their unacceptable thinking.

Someday humanity will out grow the outdated thinking and philosophies that are now obsolete. Humanity will realize that all religious thinking is synonymous to magical thinking and won't lend credence to the decisions that guide humanity. This won't happen during our lifetime unfortunately, but hopefully one day it will.

14. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Guys, don't feed the burrito.

I mean, troll.

15. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]479949[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe all philosophies of Christ (or ever were, in fact), obsolete.

Religious thinking can be dangerous, true.

I would hope someday, that religion could be dropped altogether, along with the ridiculous fear of a made up hell, and we could all get along with the peaceful teachings of Gandhi, Christ, and others like minded individuals.

16. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 16 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]479949[/snapback]</div>
    I think this statement shows you don't understand what religion or spirituality gives people...

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 16 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]479773[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :huh: :lol: Well said.....! ;)

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, normally I'd be on the "liberal" or even "atheist" side of a discussion like this one, but your premise was so broad and so silly that I have to argue against it.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying religion is inherently more trustworthy, but that by your reasoning, science is NO more inherently trustworthy. If you bring up things that the bible still apparently condones but that might be considered crimes now, I'll have to remind you that "science" used to believe that the world was flat, that the heavens revolved around us, and that losing a lot of blood would be a good way to cure most illnesses.

My point is, if the trends in science continue (and there's no reason they shouldn't), then many of the things we believe to be cold, hard, indisputable facts today will seem ludicrous and stupid years from now. Science is really good at proving itself wrong over and over and over again, and while some facts are verified, more theories spring up to fill the imaginations of more scientists.

In fact, we'd really be nowhere without creativity and imagination in science. It's the creative leaps, and the countless wrong guesses that have gotten our society to the level of technical achievement we enjoy, and we're clearly striving for more.

So I say you're just as deluded as a nutjob religious fundamentalist if you believe modern science to be the absolute pinnacle of knowledge and fact.

If you think that so much of this world's fighting is just about religion then you believe George Bush too much. You also ignore human nature. People are going to be territorial and fearful of others no matter if religion is their religion, or if science is their religion. A lot of this fighting uses xenophobia as a pretext, when it's really enabled by wealthy people who just want to become more wealthy.

So while I may agree that religion isn't the solution to all problems, I don't agree that it's the cause of all problems, which is what you and Mr. Harris seem to suggest, through a somewhat frail argument.

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Jul 17 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]480192[/snapback]</div>
    I know it can give fundamentalists a reason to crash planes into buildings. Islam is just as bad as christianity. While you might not condone islam and the fundamentalistic thinking it produces, I concur. I just take it one step further and choose to not lend credence to any magical thinking.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. I think most people think that science is a body of facts that can't be disputed. In fact, science is a way of thinking critically in "attempting" to know what's knowable. That's not even the goal of science. It does not claim to know everything, nor did I claim it so. I severely doubt we'll ever know everything that's knowable. The only people who claim that there is an all knowing/omniscient being are religious people. Making this claim is ludicrous. How would that know this to be a fact.

You are right.

I am a nutjob relative people who believe in an imagined invisible nonproveable all powerful being. So be it. I'll bet people thought columbus was a nutjob for not believing the earth was flat.

As for the pinnacle of knowledge and fact, no. It's constantly changing. But relative to religion, well, then yes.

Yes, people will be people, why give them more reasons and differences to kill each over. People will use race, language, culture... religion is yet another tool to give an excuse to commit crimes against humanity.
    No, it's not the cause of all problems. Neither is malaria, but humanity could be better off without it.