1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iMotor: Toyota Prius vs Honda Insight - Drag race

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

1 person likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I enjoyed the video but a couple of minor points left out:

1. 10 miles, not 1 mile - you really need to run any car at least 10 miles to get usable data. A 1 mile test is too easily 'gamed.'
    2. Interior space - they should have asked the ladies if they would 'shag' anyone in the back.
    3. price - well I don't really know the UK pricing but then they should have included a really crappy car in the price ... say a fourtwo or perhaps one of the electric cars <grins>
    Still, it was a lot better than that Top Gear nonsense.

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    £15,500 for the Insight (base price) vs. £18,000 for the Prius T-3. An Insight ES-T is close to £18,000.

A crappy car? a fortwo starts at £7k

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly agree that the one mile test is stupid. With a hybrid, I'm not sure a 10 mile test is adequate. A hybrid relies on the charge and deplete cycle of the batteries and the percentage of use of the electric drive to determine overall efficiency. So a full tank might be the only way to get a real average.

I like the idea of the "gears" and the paddle shift in the Honda, but I haven't driven one yet to see how it works in practice. I also like the seats and interior, at least in pictures. Interestingly, while I've seen quite a few '10 Prius here in the Denver metro now, I have only seen one Insight on the road, and only once. It could have been a test drive since it was close to a Honda dealer.

I might go drive one just to form my own opinion. However, I have a lot of physical and emotional energy invested in my '06 Prius, what with installing my own leather and the stereo upgrades, so I doubt I'm interested in either a '10 Prius or the Honda, really.

5. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as money is no object and you plan to drive around the world?

The Brits just tell it how it is....

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I don't buy his MPG figures at all.

If I reset the 2009 FE gauge, then drive a few miles or so, check the display average, it will show itself .. way low.

That said, my worst fuel economy comes from very short trips - 1 mile to store, shut off, mile home, etc....

My best fuel economy comes from continuous driving in suburbs. I have no idea what it would average in San Francisco, and I don't care to find out. :p (I hate parking over there)