1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Imperial vs Metric

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Guffman, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Guffman

Guffman New Member

Just picked up my Alpine White Prius, with all options except NAV, a week ago and I'm loving it. Got the windows tinted deep black and also added the Clearshield 3M vinyl hood , bumper and mirror protector - practically invisible and the car looks great!.
    On the Canadian models, there is a button next to the Odometer/Trip button that converts the speedometer from metric to imperial (kph to mph - is this on US models as well?). The MFD however, stays metric, showing Litres per 100kms instead of MPG. Does anyone know of a simple way to toggtle this between metric and imperial measurements?
    When talking about the mileage the Prius gets, very few Canadians seem to understand Lp100k, but everyone understands MPG.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the button on the MFD only toggles the speedo. You can't change the other readouts to Imperial from metric. Not even the OAT readout on the MFD.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, nobody seems to get L/100km. They understand once I tell them how many kms per tank lol.

The toggle is only for the speedo like Frank said.

4. Guffman

Guffman New Member

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the knowledge anyway. Seems like if the speedo is that easy to toggle, the MFD should be just as easily switched. Something for Toyota to think about for the 06's.

5. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm from Canada but live in Japan. I'm used to MPG (imperial) but from hanging out here at Priuschat, eveything gets benchmarked at about 50 MPG (US). My display gives me kms/litre and 21.2 kms/litre means I am getting 50 MPG (US) or 60 MPG (imperial)

So its not confusing at all, right?

6. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guffman\";p=\"105369)</div>
    what you want is a US model and then the speedo toggles to metric and everything else is imperial.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not imperial, US. US gallons are different from Imperial gallons.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Uh-oh here we go again!

Remember: 1 U.S. gallon is approx 3.78 litres

1 Imperial gallon ("Canadian" gallon or a gallon everywhere but the U.S.) is approx 4.54 litres.

Most countries that have adopted the S.I. or "metric" system rate fuel economy in L/100km or litres used per 100km: less is better.

Having lived most of my life in Utah, I find it somewhat ironic and very amusing that locals here refer to MPG but *not* to the MPG I grew up with. Their "gallon" is NOT my "gallon" and so forth.

And folks wonder why that Air Canada Boeing 767 ran out of Jet-A between Toronto and Calgary. They were at cruising altitude over Red Lake Ontario when every last drop of Jet-A was finally consummed, and the 767 became a glider that finally made a safe landing in Gimli, Manitoba.

The Boeing was allowed to take off with dead fuel gages. The ground crew had to convert the litres on the dispensing equipment to gallons. They made huge errors in the conversion and put in less than half the fuel needed.

BTW: I don't understand why the temp display can't be changed by itself. My 2000 GMC Sierra SLT has the temp/compass display in the rear view mirror, and all you had to do was fiddle with the mirror buttons a bit and toggle between F and C.

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems to me that several folks who drive Prius' in Japan mention that their vehicle displays km/l, not l/100km as ours does in Canada. Am I correct in this?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gary:

That's correct: km per litre.

I was told by my local Prius tech that when I do move back to Utah, it would be straightforward to use a THHT to change the display to U.S. Primary, which will display MPH by default, MPG (U.S. gallon) and temps in degrees fahrenheit.

Jay

11. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"105461)</div>
    your right on the fuel mileage being in USgallon but everything else is imperial. temp mileage's etc.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

That's a good point.

I've never understood why there was a difference just for liquid volume. Degrees fahrenheit are the same all over the world, a mile is a mile (Ok, a smarty-pants would also throw in Nautical Miles just for lively debate), but a gallon isn't always a "gallon."

Jay

13. Frank Hudon

why are nautical miles used in avaition? Other than for float operations. Degrees minutes seconds. Good to know that wasn't used in automotive.

Edited: Kings and there feet.........

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"105577)</div>
    Frank:

Geez I don't know. It's weird, "nautical" miles for something flying through the air 35,000 ft over any water.

It would be like having an altimeter on a boat ...

Jay

15. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I enjoy nautical miles 'cause a nm. is generally considered to be 6000' so is easier to work with than 5280'. :lol: :p
    Hey, Jayman, I did have an altimeter in my boat.... it was the GPS alt. readout.... often reached the oxygen- reduced atmosphere at 40 feet off the coast of Oregon :pukeleft:

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"105684)</div>
    Gary:

:lol:

Jay