1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AbuS3ood, May 9, 2010.

1. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All;

As a progress for the previous posts:
    FOB/SKS Questions
    Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!

I have bought 2 keys from Ebay and started programming them to my cars.

My car is 06 prius with SKS smart entry, i bought one black logo FOB and another silver logo one,the black one is just like new, i have successfully programmed both to start the car but the problem was as usual with enabling the remote to lock unlock the doors, i have noticed the following.

1.when i follow the procedure described in the post,the car only lock and unlock once(may be called new mode).

2. when i press any button or both buttons followed with one button in the black logo FOB the car doesn't make any response at all.

3. when i enter the mode above with one lock unlock response, and the press the buttons on the new silver logo FOB the car quickly go nuts and do continuous lock unlock whenever i press any button on the new silver key and i cant do anything.

4.when i enter the mode and the car do the single lock unlock, and before touching the new FOB i press the lock button on the original FOB, the car perform another lock-unlock operation, and i think in this state the car is on the right mode, just like lock-unlock twice, in that state,when i try to do the right procedure to add the new silver logo FOB (hold lock and unlock buttons followed by pressing lock), the car gives me a response with double lock-unlock which means that the operation has failed, i tried the procedure hundred times with different timings, and also i tried it on another car with SKS, i had the same response, and now, at any time i do the try to register my master FOB, after holding both buttons and then press one, the light on the original fob flashes 6 times and the car preform lock-unlock once as indicator that the operation success :confused::confused::confused::confused:.

later....i took a look on the 06-09 prius repair manual, and i found different procedure to register FOBs(see attached file), the difference was on the times to insert the master fob in the switch and remove, i did it will and nothing happened,the car didnt do any response at all.:cool:

the last problem was
    , some resources mentiond that the number of lock-unlock u get from the car as response is equal to times that you switch the car to IG-ON and OFF, i tried to do the cycle twice to get the lock-unlock twice but nothing happened,but..... when i did the cycle three times(IG-ON then OFF) THE CAR RESPONSE WITH TWO TIMES LOCK-UNLOCK!!!!!!! but after that when i try to program the key nothing happens, even no response from the car that the operation has failed............

any comments guys?!?!?!?!?

Attached Files:

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds about right. The keyfob-in-dash mode works for both black and silver logo keyfobs since they use the same transponder chip. The buttons on the black logo keyfob cannot be made to work on a car equiped with SKS. You can successfully re-register the existing silver logo keyfob, but that doesn't help with registering a keyfob that has already been registered to a different car.

A dealer or locksmith with a "Security Professional" account with the Toyota online system in the US can fully register a used SKS keyfob. This requires the Techstream scantool, and access to a code lookup on the online site. The specific Techstream menu items are "Smart Key" on the main ECU menu, "Utility" on the left menu, and "Smart Code Reset" on the utility menu. Techstream next shows a 6 digit seed number, and requires a 6 digit pass-code number in reply. The dealer gets the pass-code from the online system. When the correct pass-code is entered, Techstream goes into a 16 minute countdown before the SKS codes are all reset. Once the reset is done, all of the keyfobs have to be registered.

The price of buying and registering a used keyfob is about the same as buying and registering a new keyfob. The extra rain dance required to register a used keyfob uses up the cost difference between new and used keyfobs...:frown:

1 person likes this.
  3. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :)
    thanx RobH, i just felt that im so close to do it

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As described in other threads about reprogramming fobs (or actually reprogramming the car), this is normal. You can make them work in the dash slot because of the common RFID system, but the other functions will not work.

Also, as stated above, a small number of locations are licensed and equipped to override the reuse lock-out on the SKS fobs. Because of this, it is possible to pay someone to reprogram for a used SKS fob, but it's probably cheaper to buy a new fob.

Tom

5. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do u mean if i bought a brand new fob it will be programmed easily by the instruction described?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A new SKS fob can be programmed easily by the dealer. SKS fobs are not programmable by the user, except for using them in the starting slot.

All dealers should be able to program your Prius to work with a new SKS fob. Only a small, selected group of dealers can override the security measures to let your Prius work with a used SKS fob. They pay extra to be able to do this, and it requires a call to Toyota, so don't expect it to be cheap. That's why I think you are better off buying a new fob and taking it to your dealer.

Tom

7. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a used FOB (silver) from ebay an took it to the dealer. The dealer said that because the key is used, it may work or not work. I said go ahead.
    Finally after they tried to program, they said that the FOB can only start the car. No door lock/unlock.

I cam back home disappointed. What should I do?

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Print out a copy of my post #2 above and take it with you to the dealer. Since you've already got the extra fob, it may be cheaper to pay them the premium price for a "Smart Key Reset" than it would to buy a virgin fob and get it registered. The issue is price, and apparently knowledge on the part of the dealer. It should take less than 1/2 hour to perform the reset and registering of all keyfobs. More for someone who's never done it before...

You'll have to bring all of your keyfobs with you, as the reset procedure sets the SKS system back to zero keyfobs. Note also that the keyfob-in-dash function is separate, and unaffected by this operation.

9. n24005

n24005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, anyone have a source for NEW "Silver" logo fobs? I found one site "ikeyless.com" that wants $170.

All of the Ebay auctions are for black logo new or USED silver logo....

Thanks,
    Jeff

10. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the new are expensive, but the used can also be programmed.

Finally, I Got the USED Ebay Fob Fully Programmed to my Prius

11. ArtsAutomotive

ArtsAutomotive New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The chicken dance will work with new keys to pair with both immobilizer and smart key ECUs

The chicken dance will FAIL if the key is used / eBay to register with the smart key ECU

The chicken dance allows you to work the RFID (immobilizer) aspect ONLY. No matter how much voodoo you do, the VID of the smart key fob must be programmed using the factory scan tool, a TIS subscription with security professional (locksmithing license required), a seed reset fee $40, and the knowledge of how to supplant the VID, because it cannot be deleted.

This discussion is detailed in our articles on our website

Good luck

Christian
    Art's Automotive
    http://www.artsautomotive.com

1 person likes this.
  12. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you are 100% right,,, I have figured that after hundreds of tries, now I did it as you described using the TechStream after several tries too as explained in this thread ,and your website was very useful.

btw, I have a very strange behavior on Camry Hybrid and I want to discuss it with you in private if its ok for you.

13. kpsounis

kpsounis New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a clarification question.

You say "The chicken dance will work with new keys to pair with both immobilizer and smart key ECUs". My understanding from this is that after the "chicken dance" on a NEW key, not only the car will be able to start (pairing to the immobilizer) but also the smart key functionality will work (pairing to the smart key ECU).

But then, you say "The chicken dance allows you to work the RFID (immobilizer) aspect ONLY". Could you please clarify if the "chicken dance" will achieve full functionality (start engine when in the slot + lock unlock doors with the keys + smart key functionality) or not?

Also, there have been two people in the original thread "Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!" reporting that they have managed to make a NEW key work with full functionality (start engine when in the slot + lock unlock doors with the keys + smart key functionality) using the "chicken dance". Clearly I need to ask them for more details and not you, but I thought it might be useful to bring this to the discussion anyway.

Many thanks!

14. rcsolomon

rcsolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both fobs stopped working recently; not a battery problem. Dealer wants $400 for one new fob and, if I buy one elsewhere and bring it in for programming, will not guarantee that it will work. Other dealers are similarly priced. This price seems outrageous. I know it's high-tech black box stuff, but it can't be more involved than a low end laptop computer! I feel gouged and would appreciate a reality-check from others who know more about this stuff than I do.
    Thanks, Richard

15. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'll help you in solving that, Already sent you a message with contact details...you could buy a programming kit for 400$ not just programming your keys:eek:

16. kpsounis

kpsounis New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All, this is to confirm that a BRAND NEW FOB with a silver logo will get FULL functionality (INCLUDING the SMART KEY functionality) if one follows the well known steps outlined in numerous posts in related threads. Since there is one thing that is not clear in these numerous posts which is probably specific to the the FOBs with a silver logo and the smart key functionality, I will repeat the steps here:

Start/stop engine (NO CHANGES over previous posts)
    -------------------
    1. Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point. Red anti-theft light remains on.
    4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done.

Lock/unlock doors remotely + SMART KEY functionality
    --------------------
    1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
    8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point. Car should lock and unlock doors to verify it is in add mode. (the precise number of times the car locks/unlocks the door is model specific - but it should do it at least once)
    9. ***the next step is the critical one***
    9(i) Older posts instruct people to do this with the new fob only for a varying number of seconds, e.g. 1,2, or 3. This probably works with the black logo FOB but not with the silver logo FOB.
    9(ii) The most recent post in this thread reads: Press both buttons on old/new fob simultaneously for 4 flashes of the red LED on the fob. There are two changes over older posts here.
    9(iii) NOW, For the silver logo FOBs, it turns out the precise time is not the issue, that is, 1,2, or 3 seconds, or till you get 4 flashes, doesn't matter. The issue is to do this for BOTH the old and the new FOB. One should simultaneously hold down the lock and unlock buttons of a FOB but not simultaneously do it for both FOBs holding down all 4 buttons at the same time. I did this only once so I am not 100% certain about the sequence, but this is what I think worked for me:
    - first press down both buttons of the NEW FOB simultaneously, car responds with locking/unlocking TWICE (not sure this step is even needed as car responding with locking/unlocking TWICE implies this is not a programmed FOB yet for this car)
    - then, say 1 second after the car stops locking/unlocking due to step above, press down both buttons of the OLD FOB simultaneously,
    - then, say after 1 second, press the LOCK button of the NEW FOB. Now, IF SUCCESSFUL car responds with locking/unlocking ONCE implying this new fob is now programmed/paired with this car.
    (iv) As already mentioned in previous posts, you have 40 seconds to play around with the steps in (iii) above. I had to play around a bit since it was not clear to me if one should first use the NEW FOB or the OLD FOB in the sequence of simultaneously pressing both keys. What is clear is that one needs to use BOTH FOBs
    10. To end this programming, open a door or put the fob in the slot.
    11. Even though I don't think it matters, I actually tried the smart key features after I drove the car for a minute while having the new fob in the slot. The smart key functionality worked fine.

Bottom-line: with a NEW key at hand one can get FULL functionality by performing the steps above at home.

PS I have a 2006 SKS prius.

17. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The above post just saved me several hundred dollars! Over a year ago my wife lost her Prius fob. I have a 2005 with SKS. Finally bought a new fob from Toyota, with programming, for close to $400. My old (master) fob has worn-off buttons, but they were taped over and still working fine, so I gave that to her as the spare, since she rarely drives my car. New fob works fine. Never tested my old fob! First time my wife was in the car with me, I couldn't start the car without putting a fob in the slot. Not only that, the old fob would ONLY work if put in the slot. Angry, I called Toyota, and they told me to bring it in. Service person tried to reprogram the fob, said it could not be done because the buttons were not working (I knew they were). Walked out without buying another fob because I was damned if I was going to pay another $400. Spent 2-3 hours researching this, found the post above, the ONLY one with a procedure for SKS keys. Figured since it was the original key it might work, even if it had more than 128 button pushes. Went through the chicken dance, and Voile! FIXED! Thank you so much.

John

18. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

There is one important note, no need to press both remotes, after turning the car from ON to OFF, and the car gives you the one cycle feedback, press lock once on the OLD fob then the car gives you another feedback, then just hold both lock and unlock on the NEW fob for few seconds then hit lock again, the car need original key before accepting a new key

19. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Brilliant! Just did it and it works like a charm (used brand new silver-logo fob). Had to mess around a bit with which buttons to hit when in step 9. I suspect the order and button sequence might vary from model to model (?). I have a 2009, BTW. But I did get it to work, eventually.

That just saved me at least $100 and a trip to the dealership! SKS functionality was confirmed.

20. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    kpsounis,
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time you have taken to get the info to all of us. Although I have not used this info yet, I'll know its here in the future.

Thanks again.