1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Important-New Toyota HYBRID BATTERIES are now made in China

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    'All the NEW Hybrid' batteries that you buy from the Toyota Dealer are now made in China NOT Japan?

Before its joint venture with Panasonic, Toyota produced its batteries in-house.

Due to rising demand...All the Toyota Hybrid batteries are currently manufactured at plants in China

info here- read= Primearth is planning a fourth factory in China - electrive.com

#1 ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know Why don't you query Toyota directly and ask them so you can hear something like our cars are world cars parts are made all over the world that's how it's done now I don't know what they might tell you. For all I know they might be coming out of the United States out of a division here I have no clue It might even say on the battery stickers on the chassis I'll have to get out and look The new ones have a QR code on them If you see one in the junkyard scan it and see what it says but I don't personally know as these cars in Asia stuff is sourced all over the place That's why I kind of don't believe stuff about various and sundry parts like the inverter pump all manufacturers are cheapening up their manufacturing processes oh we don't need this much insulation We can use less of this so on and so forth It doesn't affect them it affects the end consumer which if they don't know any better doesn't really matter like all the new people coming online now they have no idea how long things have lasted should last ought to be expected to last etc so it's a new day for manufacturing and sales.

And I guess the bigger question for me would be and exactly what difference would that make in procuring a battery for your car?

#2 Tombukt2, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2024
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ***It makes a HUGE difference whether these 'New Toyota Batteries' are made in JAPAN or in CHINA-
    =They will NOT last 10+ years, like the original ones from JAPAN!!!

My 2008 Prius that I purchased NEW- was made and Imported from JAPAN--Even the tires it came with were made in JAPAN

Made in JAPAN not in CHINA--that is why my 16 year old Hybrid Battery is still working fine!!!

#3 ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024
  4. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Before its joint venture with Panasonic, Toyota produced all its Hybrid batteries in-house in Japan.
    Due to rising demand of today...

All the Hybrid batteries used in Toyota vehicles, are currently manufactured at plants in China.

Don't expect to get 10+ years from these Toyota Chinese Batteries, that you buy from the Dealer.

info here- read= Primearth is planning a fourth factory in China - electrive.com

#4 ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You think I don't know man that's nickel metal hydride now this is not Lion so everybody's been using nickel metal hydride since you know the first microtac cell phones back in the '80s so there's always that I do agree about today's battery chemistries and its manufacturers got a wide latitude of problems that need to be fixed before whatever. But we'll see I'm 2 years in about everything seems to be fine I don't really see how you'd mess up nickel metal hydride per se so there's always that skimp on the compound I don't know can you do that.? Anyhow we'll see I don't really care what I get I know it's working now and it'll be working for a few years and I only paid about $1,600 so I'm okay I could have paid a lot or a similar money for a rebuild and all this kind of nonsense so we'll see. I've long said I don't see what the problem is how come somebody just can't build the battery based on our 211 volt system blah blah blah Why do we keep having to buy this particular rack setup because? They sell it I mean what is so difficult about making a whatever kind of battery chemistry for a 211 volt system with the milliamps or AH required whatever the battery is we have hell even double it? But I guess that is some feat that can't be done or something Don't know lose interest even thinking about it.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I don't know about that's why you're hybrid battery still working fine I don't know how many mileage or any of that nonsense I know somebody that has 495,000 on a stock battery never been changed original owner of the car and all that main reason for that is not because it was made in Japan but because the car is driven 40 plus miles everyday everyday rarely there is a vacation where it's down for 10 days or something and then right back up to 40 plus miles a day everyday no breaks. I don't see how you could really screw up nickel metal hydride batteries like you do lithium ion because of all the way the battery material or whatever is in case these little round cells and blah blah blah all this stuff just more room for error and mistakes I think with like the plate modules do we use are they used for the nickel metal hydride type of thing is just not as easy to screw up we've been having this material since the early '80s or before probably the '60s so it's a technology that's not should not be easily screwed up where is this new business they got going on right now the questionable mining practices and so on I mean come on it's ripe for fubar!

7. MultiPrius

MultiPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this only for certain generations/models, or all batteries going forward?

I can't say I am surprised. Almost every car in Toyota's USA lineup now has a hybrid option, or is only available in a hybrid drivetrain (Sienna, Camry, Crown, etc.)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why would that be?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's with all the capitals, highlighting and underlining?:confused:o_O

2012 li-on prius having very little to no trouble. toyota/panasonic parts manufactured in china will meet the same specs at a lower cost. who would be happy if a replacement battery was made in japan and cost $3,000.?

#9 bisco, Jun 19, 2024
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why are there two threads on this, and why are sources not cited? how do i know where toyota gets their batteries?

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IDK, the last 3 or 4 HV battery replacements that I have done on Gen2 (and one prius C), all say "Primearth EV energy Co Ltd", and the Toyota part number label on the housing says "Made in Japan".

Google says Primeath EV energy is a Japanese battery manufacturer.

IMG_20231024_161356386.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And there you go I'd have to lift my carpet and lid and all to get to that I knew somebody would have it.

13. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ***You are correct about Primearth EV energy being a Japanese Company but....Read bellow

Panasonic and Toyota have a joint subsidiary called Primearth EV Energy that makes all Toyota hybrid batteries..
    The Primearth EV energy batteries are currently manufactured at plants in China for Toyota.

#13 ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to cite your sources

15. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  16. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A month from now the entire hybrid battery replacement sector will be realizing the implications of a profound shift in the market... If you're planning on buying a new battery pack, you might want to wait a few weeks. Exciting news coming soon! :)

17. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why can't you actually provide a link to all your claims?

18. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    #18 ski.dive, Jun 19, 2024
    PriusCamper likes this.
  19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually manufacturing goes reasonable in China when corporate heads and inspection departments can be located in China and be at the plants where manufacturing etc is going on take the case of like Stihl chainsaws and that there are others so as long as you can get your company's mission inserted into the game wherever it's being manufactured generally you can stay on top or still be a winner It's just how you want to have the show get run for the big companies that is remember they're looking to please their shareholders their shareholders are generally very rich people that don't have to depend on vehicles per se that is provided for them

Dduelin2 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2019? and we are just starting to worry now?