1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Important update on DICE HD unit for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by westofrome, Mar 9, 2007.

1. westofrome

westofrome New Member

I had my DICE HD unit installed last week. When it works, it works very well with the MFD and steering wheel, and sounds great.

The problem is, it freezes up constantly. Since the unit is buried deep in the dash, the only easy way to reset it is to pull the fuse (39) under the hood which controls the main audio power as well as the clock, interior lights and other functions, at which point you lose your presets, time, etc. Since having it installed a week ago, I've had to reset it around 6-7 times...

I spoke to DICE in order to find out if this was a problem with my unit or with all the Toyota/Prius units. To their credit they said upfront that they have been hearing that several people have this issue and that their engineer is working addressing it, hopefully to resolve it in "a few weeks".

I'll let the group know if/when it gets resolved. Until then, I can't advise you get this product yet.

NOTE: I have an 05. perhaps this problem does not occur on other model years, I have no idea...what year do you have, Vagabond?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lol... RIGHT.... I installed the ice:link Plus iPod kit from DICE early last year. It freezes up at least once a week. The solution is to power reset it. So I installed it unit behind the plastic hump below the radio where I can reach it whenever I need. I contacted DICE, they promised an update in "a few weeks", but never happened.

Then later on that year, they come out with a new unit called DICE iPod integration kit. After numerous email exchanges and phone calls, they finally agree to exchange ice:link Plus with DICE iPod kit. After about 1 year of use, DICE iPod kit froze once, which is a lot better than ice:link Plus.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westofrome @ Mar 9 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]402932[/snapback]</div>

An 05.... and between you and me, (all very hush hush) the root problem is known and should be fixed in a few weeks.

4. snowcrash74

snowcrash74 New Member

Can someone with the HD dice post photos of the interface on the MFD when using the HD Radio and iPod functionality?

I've checked the manual on the dice website but it only talks about pressing the hard buttons for track up and track down and that sort of thing. If it integrates well and is easily navigable with the MFD then I'm buying one as soon as people starting saying the bugs have been worked out.

Thanks.

5. westofrome

westofrome New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 9 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]402962[/snapback]</div>
    Vagabond, any update on the fix? It's been a few weeks, and I haven't heard from DICE.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westofrome @ Mar 24 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]411548[/snapback]</div>

Shoot me a PM with your complete contact and car info. Also where you bought it from and I'll pass it along.

7. etdweasel

etdweasel Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 9 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]402962[/snapback]</div>
    And now, according to my calendar, it's been more than a few weeks. A few months, actually. Any update from them? I'd really like to add this unit to my '05, but, so far, I haven't heard much positive comment on it....

Thanks,

Chuck

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etdweasel @ Jun 26 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]468202[/snapback]</div>

The current (gen 3) generation has been solid. You should see some report of people using them crop up over the next few weeks.

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Jun 26 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]468429[/snapback]</div>

I don't yet know if it is DICE related or not, haven't heard from the dealer yet, but my MFD stopped working, Identical to TSB EL002-05. The DIce has been in there at least a month or more without any problems. I don't know how it could affect the MFD since it connects into the radio first, and that is working fine.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Jun 26 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]468449[/snapback]</div>

Can you get to the unit? And tell me the digits written on the bottom? They should say like 54 or 56 or something like that. PM me your info and we can setup an exchange to be safe.

11. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bought via Priuschat site and installed mine a couple of months ago and everything was fine until last weekend. Unplugging and replugging at the DICE unit reset everything. Mine's installed behind the bottom glove box along the L wall, so it's easy to get to by just pulling the bottom glove box out.