1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Importing a Prius to the UK?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by copydeskcat, Nov 30, 2006.

1. copydeskcat

copydeskcat New Member

Hi folks,

I'm keen on buying a Toyota Prius. I live in Scotland, in the UK.

I've noticed a considerable difference in price between UK car retailers and prices for the Prius in the USA.

Does anyone have any experience of importing a Prius from the USA (or from anywhere else, for that matter)?

I'd be very interested in picking up some advice on where to start, and any pitfalls.

Best,

CDC

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How considerable is the difference? It'll cost a boat load (pun intended) to ship it across the sea, not to mention additional taxes and fees you'll have to pay (local taxes for the purchase in the US, import/export taxes, etc)... i'm guessing you won't be able to do any better once all costs are taken into account, quite possibly end up costing yourself a lot more.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The almost 30% Value Added Tax (VAT) the UK imposes on imports, essentially doubles the price. Besides the UK uses SI measurements. Purchase the Prius in the UK, save money and get SI instrumentation.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(copydeskcat @ Nov 30 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]355819[/snapback]</div>
    Have a look at recent isues of WHICH? I think they reported a few months ago on the problems of buying a car in Ireland, Belgium, etc and importing it. I'll be surprised if you save a significant anount and it will certainly cost you a lot in time and travel. You'd probably have to go to the foreign place from which you buy it. Much better to have the support of a local dealer in case of problems.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 30 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]355868[/snapback]</div>
    Our steering wheel is on the "wrong" :eek: side for UK. Maybe you should consider a JDM (japanese) version? Just a thought...

I'm also a Subaru fan, and by following the UK message boards, it seems a lot of JDM Subarus are brought into UK, though I understand that there may be warranty issues, etc.

6. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi CDC
    You can achieve quite a saving by going through an internet dealer rather than a Toyota dealer who hold the prices up.
    In my case I saved about £1500 and they delivered it to me - which I specifically did not want them to do - but they also took my other car in part exchange.
    The outfit I used was based in Manchester so not too far from you I imagine.
    PM if you want to know more.
    The US specs does have some nice touches which I wish the UK spec had - but it does work both ways - for example I think the US spec still has rear drum brakes whereas we have discs all round.
    I'd love keyless entry and to be able to get rid of the reversing beep etc - their tweak for this doesn't work on the UK spec.

My guess is that the saving you'll make will be outweighed by the hassle.
    Eg. you will probably have to change the headlamps for starters.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinball @ Dec 1 2006, 04:11 AM) [snapback]356129[/snapback]</div>
    Did you have a firm quotation from a Toyota dealer? In my case (last August) the dealer threw in several extras which effectivey brought the list price down a few £100s.

8. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Dec 1 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]356130[/snapback]</div>
    I started out looking to get a 1 year old model but the dealer prices were a only a few £k less (if that) than a brand new one. When I realised I could save that much through an internet dealer (I guess they don't have the overheads) I decided to go for a new one and saved £1500 over the Toyota list price. They're still offering it today
    I also got side mouldings fitted, carpets and rubber mats included in the price.

The only downside was they delivered the car against my instructions and I was at work - so I refused to pay the £99 delivery and kept the road tax on my trade in for all the aggro they caused me.

From order to delivery was a month

9. vince31

vince31 New Member

I too checked on the internet deal and got it down to about £1500 off the Toyota list price. I then went back to the Toyota dealer and asked for his very best price, he knocked off £1200! and took my old car in part ex at a much better price than the internet company offered. The extra £300 was much more than offset by the better part ex price and goodies thrown in (mats, full tank, etc.).

10. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vince31 @ Dec 1 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]356417[/snapback]</div>
    Nice One !

And I just noticed they're now offering £1791 off
    Damn, these Prii are getting cheaper by the minute !!