1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impression from my first drive (here in Norway) and questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tony2654, Aug 21, 2009.

1. tony2654

tony2654 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer called me day before yesterday and told me that new Prius had finally arrived here, so yesterday I went to have a test drive. My impression from my 10 min drive:

It is more modern and substantial than the previous gen which I test drove 2 months ago. It rides quite well, even on the dealer-fitted 17'' (215x45x17) wheels. However I did notice that there was a fair share of noise and the engine itself was on the coarse side. Otherwise the car was much as expected, loaded with gadgets (drove one with solarpanel, LED, HUD, leather, navi, pre-crash, adaptive radar, basically the American V model and more), but inline with a compact economy car as far as cabin quality goes.

I was told that my car (has the same trim-level as the tested one) would be ready in 2 weeks, 2-3 weeks earlier than expected. Thus I need to decide soon which accessories I want to have. As mentioned the dealer had replaced the 15'' wheels with 17'' ones on the test car and he told me that they could do that on my car too, together with a set of 15'' winter wheels/tires, all for 'just' 25000kr or roughly 4000 dollars. As a set of aftermarket 17'' wheels/tires costs generally less than 10000 Kr here at a tire store, I am leaning towards doing that myself. I asked the dealer about the supposed difference in steering wheel ratio between the 15'' and the 17'' models, but the dealer was not aware of this. So I like to ask, particularly those who have received a euro-spec car, can I somply put a set of 17'' wheels on my car and not worry about issues like rubbing, steering wheel ratio or effects on ESP?

Other accessories like chrome trim, cloth mat, rubber side molding, rear parking sensors (4000 kr) are also available, is moeny worth spent on those?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think you pretty well covered what can be done in a 10 minute drive. I can't comment on the accessories but as far as the 15" vs 17" wheels, I suspect you'll find there were no other changes to the car.

As for noise, I tend to hear more 'road noise' and wonder if it might have been the surface more than anything else. Just a thought.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The steering is different between factory 15" and 17" model. Putting 17s on a 15" model shouldn't rub (since the wheel well is identical).

Btw, I'll have the packages up so you don't have the use the U.S. designation lol. What are your trim levels again?

4. tony2654

tony2654 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Norway the new Prius is packaged probably the same way as in other parts of Europe save UK. There are 4 trim levels(see link below), Comfort, Advance, Executive and Premium which has everything, in addition leather and sunroof can be added to Executive at extra cost. Due to the tax system here the prices don't differ as much as they might do elsewhere, starting at 274000Kr for Comfort and go all the up to 348400Kr for Premium, all but metallic are included. For this reason I chose Premium, but I probably should have gone for Executive + leather.

http://www.toyota.no/e-brochures/slot082_tcm308-916306.zip/slot082/pdf/compleet.pdf

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought the "stops" (sorry, don't know the right lingo) were different on the Model V with 17s, which is why they have a larger turning radius. Has anyone confirmed no mechanical adjustments are needed if you add 17s to the model II, III or IV?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.... I don't remember.

Alright, I get those up now and you can update your profile to reflect European packages. Note that "Model" only applies to the US