1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impressions three weeks in.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bdonley, Jul 30, 2018.

1. bdonley

bdonley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm in after three weeks with the Prius now. Been a good test. Car's a 2007 with 114k on it. Bought from an independent local shop. Tested battery, etc. Warranty, 1 week return policy. Drove local for a week. I'm a drummer, it turned out to be a great gig vehicle. I could buy more drums! I can put my bikes inside, rather then having to roof rack them. The next week, off from the central Ca coast to Las Vegas for a conference. Hard drive. 112 degree temps, tons of traffic. A 2 hour traffic jam in 110 degree heat. Car never missed a beat. Quiet, cool, and comfortable. Ran 80+ mph for the last hour or so into Vegas. 47 mpg! Went the long way home. Up 7000 ft to Big Bear lake. 25 mph switchbacks up the mountain. With my wife driving! The next day, tried the B mode on the long downhill.Good to have engine braking on a 7000 ft decent. The quietness of the car lulled the wife into entering a 45 mph corner at 67! It handles pretty well for a sedan!
    Drove some favorite back roads today. It's not a match for my Gen 1 Miata, but as I adapt to the numb steering, it corners pretty well. Grassroots Motorsports magazine compared one with some other hatchbacks a while ago. They were surprised how well it acquitted itself on an autocross course! Power's really not that different from the Miata.
    I'm enjoying the quietness and smoothness.I've been a drummer my whole life, and now have tinnitus from the loudness of the 70's. I can hear the radio. The seats could use some lumbar support. Gonna search out something adjustable. Seat covers so I can take the dawgz along. That's about it. Thought about pulling the silly plastic wheel trim rings, but read they improve mileage. I want a rubber pad for the rear bumper to protect it when I'm loading drums. Think a shade for the multi panel would be good. And maybe a blindspot mirror. I'm in and diggin' it! 150343_7F395BBA-48C8-42C6-A811-10A71A04B80A.jpeg 37955600_10212678350698909_7789078411414077440_o.jpg 37789493_10212656496872577_6878144422349897728_n.jpg IMG_0236.jpg . The Miata is going to be sold, we don't have parking for 4 cars. If I need open air motoring, I'll ride my Vespa!

Simbaboy, davecook89t and SFO like this.
  2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you are going to have dogs in the car, be aware that their shedding hair tends to clog up the HV battery fan, which can cause the HV battery to overheat. If you don't know the whole history of the car, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the fan even now. It's not that hard to get to, nor is it hard to clean, but you will have to remove a few panels in the back. Youtube has plenty of videos showing how to do it.

I'm glad you are enjoying the car so far.

3. bdonley

bdonley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a great idea. Thanks! Maybe I can fabricate a prefilter that can be removed easily, kinda like on a dirt bike. They won't be regular passengers, just on a "as needed" basis. They've only been allowed in the Miata twice, and that was out of necessity. We have our beater '99 Subaru Forester as dawg transport. My wife does dog rescue with the low income and homeless, and it's become our "work truck"....

davecook89t likes this.
  4. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow you are really get full use of it.

5. bdonley

bdonley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep!!

6. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s a neat car, coming from a guy who used to hate Prius as refrigerators on wheels. I love mine!

davecook89t likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love it... So many people can't stand the lack of interior space when they get a Prius... But it probably seems like a mansion if you're use to a Miata! Too cool... For the bumper protector I'd recommend not spending money on the small expensive ones and instead buy a spray can of Plastic Dip, or other type of rubberized spray paint that's easy to peel off. That way you can cover the whole area that's prone to scratch, as well as easily touch it up when it's damaged or just peel it all off and start over with a fresh coat. I haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Let me know how it goes for you if you decide to?