1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impromptu drag race: C vs comparably equipped Yaris Hatchback

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mdgates, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My buddy who drives a 5MT Yaris hatchback and I pulled up next to each other at a red light, with two passengers in each car. I yelled out the window, "I'd rev my engine at you if I could." I was half-joking, but as he launched at 4000 RPM, I knew what I had to do.

His car weighs about 200lb less than mine, and we've both got about the same total peak horsepower. We also both have 1.5L engines, not that displacement matters these days. Even so, I blew his doors off in what was described by my passenger as "the world's slowest drag race".

The Prius is faster than an equivalently-powerful MT/ICE combination for two reasons. One, the Prius produces peak torque at 0 RPM, so I can produce much more power off the line than he can. Two, with the eCVT, I was at redline the whole time, while he bounces between 4000 and 6000 RPM. Three, he doesn't have a tachometer, so he's shifting by ear.

"Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races." -Colin Chapman

steveoknievo, NewPriusC and karabits like this.
  2. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    By red line, did you mean maxed out in PWR or redlining your engine? I believe the C's computer prevents the maxing out of rpm.

I too had a badass race with a buddy. I was so good, I won before we even raced! (He blew a head gasket..)
    :D

3. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a tachometer (in the form of a ScanGauge). Redline means the ICE is turning as fast as it can for a given vehicle speed:

Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

I could have sworn I hit 4500RPM by about 25 mph, but according to the above link, 4500 RPM shouldn't be possible below 41 MPH.

And yeah, any car with fuel injection has software that prevents you from exceeding redline.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He means maxed out as far as torque is concerned. The CVT keeps the engine at it's optimum performance spot depending on throttle position.
    If you floor it, it will keep you in the perfect spot for torque.

5. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I learn something new every day.

6. Ubu the Tech Guru

Ubu the Tech Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    "Slowest drag race every" LOL That would be hilarious witnessing this from the street corner

7. Rosso_Corsa

Rosso_Corsa New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    This is awesome. Prius vs. Yaris slow drag race. I'm surprised that the 4k rpm launch of the Yaris didn't give it a bigger competitive advantage. You don't have that option to launch in a CVT.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nope... but the Yaris doesn't get 100% torque from it's electric motor either. ;) Because it doesn't have one. :LOL:

Rosso_Corsa and NewPriusC like this.
  9. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    hybrid cars perform better than many people think. I was driving my wifes brother home the other day. I was in our camry hybrid and he was asking me questions about it. the mileage was impressive to him, we wer entering the interstate so I got all the way into the gas. before we ran out of on ramp we reached 100 mph. this car has 200 combined hp.:LOL: my mileage to a big hit but by the time we got to his house less than 10 mile trip we were back up to 40 mpg. he was impressed!

;) light on good performance and great mpg. wow these hybrids could catch on.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is simulating the Gen 1 Prius, the Gen2 is similar (Max ICE RPM is 5000) Gen 3, PiP, v, and c add another planetary gearset to slow down M/G1 with relation to M/G2.

Here is a Gen 3 Dyno Curve (c should be 30 HP lower and may taper down at higher speed as the smaller battery drains)
    [​IMG]