1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improvement in mpg after changing inverter coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rm04, Jul 16, 2023.

1. rm04

rm04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Has this ever been noted? Wondering if changing inverter coolant can have any impact on the operation of the hybrid battery.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not expect any changes. Either the cooling system keeps inverter temperature "low enough" (normal operation) or it doesn't (& sets codes - shuts down).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess if it was overheating really badly and constantly throttling back and not allow you to get enough electric motor because of not enough battery I guess your gas mileage could come down a little and of course that would be rectified once the inverters cool can stay on as long as it needs to to run the battery up as high as it needs to go so it can power the engine properly.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same volume before and after? Then no change at all in cooling properties would be expected. Coolant is usually changed to keep the pH high enough that it doesn't start chewing up the metal it passes over/through, not because it isn't cooling well. Coolants have chemicals in them to keep the pH basic, but these break down and/or get used up over time and the coolant becomes acidic. Hence the "change your coolant" periods the manufacturers set in their maintenance instructions.