1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improvement of audio, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chutneypopcorn, Apr 3, 2007.

1. chutneypopcorn

chutneypopcorn New Member

Hi folks
    I am one week into my Prius and lovin it, except for the sound quality of the stereo and the radio. It sounds hollow...and just dead. And I am comparing it to my traded-in Olds which is not by any means a standard of comparison. Any suggestions on enhancing sound quality. It's dull, needs more treble or something...I am not an audio connoisseur, but I know good sound when I hear it. Suggestions? I hope this doesn't involve major mods and installation of large speakers. Thanks!

Car: 2007, pkg 6

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you adjusted the audio settings through the MFD? What happens when you do that? I general put the base and treble just a little above the mid point, and the mid setting closer to the upper level.

Also, many of us have lifted up the center speaker in the dash and disconnected it. This seems to improve stereo seperation quite a lot and to good result. It won't help your treble or anything, but may help the overall quality.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Some have also added a subwoofer, which will help the bass.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 3 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]417433[/snapback]</div>
    I think the center speaker, which is a small mid-range, pops the mids way too forward, which is what throws off the sound stage. Mids and highs are frequently confused. Do what you can with the audio (Sound screen button). If you aren't satisfied, see if removing the center speaker sound helps, Chutney.

Take a dull table knife ot putty knife, or even your strong fingernails, and lift the center of the edge of the speaker on the side closest to you. DON'T lift the corners or you could bend the plastic. When you have it up about half an inch, pull the speaker back toward you; there are plastic hooks in the front holding it in the dash. Then you can lift it out. The wires to the speaker go into a white plastic socket that has a lock clip. Push (or pull, I can't remember) the clip and you can slide the socket off the speaker blades.

Try the sound now with everything apart. If it sounds good, slip the wires back in the hole and pop the speaker back in. If not, put the wires back on the speaker, put the speaker back, and go complain to the dealer.

5. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chutney @ Apr 4 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]417427[/snapback]</div>
    I solved my problem by upgrading to Kicker components (with Dynamat in the doors)...problem solved. More substantial range, more solid bass, more effective response from the EQ. Cost about $600, but more than worth it.

6. chutneypopcorn

chutneypopcorn New Member

Thanks y'all! Very helpful, I will try those tips one by one and see what works best. The most invasive and expensive option like upgrading the system will be the absolute last resort...

There's a reason I love this forum-you guys! We auto-unsavvy folks rely on you. Appreciate it.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I confess to not being a dedicated audiophile; however, based partly on previous posts, here's what I did:

Go to the audio settings on the MFD and enhance the bass and treble while reducing the mid-range a bit - I have the JBL 6-speaker, CD changer version. I also disconnected the center speaker as recommended by other posters and emphasized the rear speakers a little in the balance settings. It's not "STUDIO QUALITY" sound, but considering other operating and road noises, it's good enough. Just play around with settings and see what works best for you.