1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improvement on every tank

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Flaninacupboard, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if this is normal for other people, but every tank i've put throguh the Prius has got better economy that the last. i started at 58MPG (4.87L/100k, 48.3MPG/US), got a 60, a 62 etc, and my last complete tank was a 68.5 (4.12L/100k, 57.1MPG/US). However, since filling up I've driven to London and back (and people keep telling me the Prius is not a motorway car) and am currently sitting on 76.9MPG (3.67L/100k, 64.1MPG/US) :eek:! And that's with two people in the car, and the AC on in 25C (77F).

Does everyone have a kind of "warm up" period while getting used to the car? I'm very excited about getting a PHEV kit now, as i'm sure i'll get over 100MPG (2.82L/100k, 83.4MPG/US).

Attached Files:

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well done indeed.

As time goes by, with practice you should be getting better at matching
    the cars operation to your unique driving situations.

There are also purely mechanical factors at work as well;
    * the various rotating bits in the engine, motors, and wheels loosen up a
    bit.
    * the tires "wear-in" also over a 3-5K mile period.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This sort of increase won't happen forever though :D but I did find that my car is obtaining mpg figures I couldn't get when it was new.

I have heard that the mpg will improve as the car beds in until around 5k miles. You've probably adapted your driving style to gain the best from the Prius too.

I don't need to tell you but keep eye on the tyre pressures and also make absolutely sure the dealers use 0w20 oil and don't over fill it either as this will cause a drop in mpg and driveability. I speak from unfortunate experience here on both services! :mad:

Any news on the enginer kit???

4. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did wonder about a break-in period for the engine/drivetrain, but the car already had 13k on it, so surely that period would be well over? I suspect at the 10k service it has 10w20, so will make sure i get 0w20 at 20k, and hope for a bit more of an increase!

My wife has also just sent me a text from the beach, now saying 77.5...

I'm ordering the kit on the 21st (Payday :D )

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be tempted to change to 0w20 now as I really did experience poor driveability with 5w30 the dealers say they didn't use.

Easy way to tell is does the engine 'stumble' when firing on and off in traffic and is the car sluggish in power mode? The differences were subtle but noticeable. Guess if it had 10w20 in since you've owned it you'll have a job knowing how it should/could run.

6. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Less than 3k till the service now, so i think i'll wait.

The only time i really feel the engine come on is if i'm going down a small slope at over 45, and then when i level out i feel the engine fire back up. don't normally feel it in traffic, but like you say hard for me to tell as it's always been that way. Sometimes it sounds like it's working pretty hard on a totally cold start in the morning, but then i wonder if it's just because it's working to get some charge in the battery.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe you have the correct oil in? I noticed mine sounds much smoother on cold starts with the wrong oil and noticeably noisier with 0w20. Same when thrashing, I mean when overtaking.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't buy it. on both my 04 and 08, i got between 59 and 64 and it never changed outside of that variance over 100,000 mikes combined.:cool: