1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Improving TRD antenna reception

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CTitanic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the ugly Toyota antenna for one of these

[​IMG]

During the installation I found that the actual antenna is just the bottom portion of the antenna, the two top fragments are just cosmetics. So to increase the reception I disassembled the antenna, removed the paint from the top of the actual antenna and used a spring to extend the antenna actual size.

Here is a picture that will explain the trick by itself.

[​IMG]

I don't have any scientific way to measure the gain but living in South Florida it was enough to get some HQ FM stations.

GtoApri likes this.
  2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like the "ugly" Toyota antenna for reasons only an amateur radio operator would appreciate. I don't know if the coil of wire is actually part of the electrical antenna. But if it were it could be a reception improving factor. If not its just to make me happy :)

You wouldn't believe some of the strange antennas I had on my cars back in the day. Unfortunately I have no pictures.