1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Case Of Emergency - Break Glass?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by tovli, Jul 31, 2023.

1. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    For 14 years I drove with a giant "emergency hammer" in my prior Prius. Luckily I never needed to use the thing. When moving into my new 2023 Prius Prime XSE, I naturally installed the thing hoping I would never need it.

Reading the owners manual made me question if the thing would actually work on the new car:
    EmergencyHammer.jpg

Of course there is that "Laminated Glass(2 If equipped) is used in the windshield and windows of this vehicle" and "Laminated glass cannot be shattered by an emergency hammer", but "contact your Toyota dealer for further information about an emergency hammer" that won't work?

So on my 2023 Prius Prime XSE, the windshield is indeed laminated. The side and rear window are "Tempersafe" not "Lamisafe" so I am going to assume the hammer will shatter the side window, but the window tint sheet will probably hold the pieces in place...

Then again this article suggests the spring loaded devices were more effective than the honkin' hammer variety I've been packin'.

#1 tovli, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  2. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I’d be surprised if a Prius has laminated side glass windows.
    Yes a spring-loaded device can break non-laminated glass easily and discretely. I know this for a fact living in the SF Bay Area.

tovli likes this.
  3. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The non-Prime owners manual says the windows, except for the windshield, are tempered glass. I've attached the relevant page from the owner's manual.

Attached Files:

tovli likes this.
  4. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just checked. My Limited AWD has laminated front windows and windshield.

SM-S901U ?

tovli likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think the XLE and Limited have the same glass components? I guess I can read thru the manual at done point.

6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    They do not. Strangely enough, all three trims levels have different front door glass. The LE also has a different windshield than every other trim including the SE. All rear door glasses and the hatch glass are the same.

I don't know what the differences are between the front door glasses. I suspect the difference in the LE windshield is just the size and shape of the black section around the rear view mirror.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. The windshield is one of my worries brought on by the person who came on the test drive with me. : }

8. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not sure what that ID refers to. The owner's manual that I quoted from was OM_OM47E41U_(U).

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think it's a hardware guessing game automatically added to the post and it looks like the app doesn't know exactly what it's looking at.

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Normally I post from my laptop. Occasionally I post from my phone with Tapatalk which tries to label the device being used. SM-S901U is the product code for a Samsung S22. I use Tapatalk to post so rarely that I haven't bothered to figure out how to turn it off. It used to say " <phone model>", but I guess that's broken now.

edit: Ahh, the confusion is this board's fault. For some reason, it edits out certain word combinations and replaces them with a ?. My sentence above was supposed to say "S e n t from <phone model>", but the board software changed it on its own.

#10 Hammersmith, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    vvillovv likes this.
  11. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    "The map is not the territory"
    "Trust, but Verify"

I checked the windows of my Limited this morning. The windshield and large front side windows are labeled 'Lamisafe', whilte the small front side windows (in front of the mirrors) and main rear side windows are labled 'Temperlite'. The samll rear windows have no brand id but have 'Nippon Safety UV ' symbol that does not appear on the other windows. The hatch window is labeled Therlite and has the Nippon Safety UV' designator. I assume the embedded heater lines make this a speacial case.

So, the manual is wrong for the Limited trim version.

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The manual I got with our 2017 Prime lists all available options for all 3 2017 Prime trims. It was more than a bit confusing in the betginning trying to understand which options our Prime Plus came with and which options belonged to other 2017 trims.
    I'd think the manuals are probably less confusing to owner of the higher trim levels, but than again ....

Tideland Prius likes this.