1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In case the battery runs out in remote key

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Vijay C, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Vijay C

Vijay C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In the owners get together event at the dealership, we were told that if the battery runs out in the remote... you are not out of luck. You can get some help with gentle touch against the START button of the car, the remote gets a sort of CPR effect to get going....

Did anyone had any such experience to deal with ?

2. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Supposedly there is an NFC (Near-field communication) chip in the remote that allows you to start the car using the method described above. I plan to replace the remote batteries as soon as the dash warning comes on though.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can experiment with it by removing the keyfob battery. Then just hold the keyfob up next to the Power button. As I recall, it's really sensitive to how close you hold it.

One thing you can do with a batteryless keyfob is to leave it inside the car without any shielding (aluminum foil and the like). The car only detects it when you hold it next to the Power button. Then use the mechanical key to lock/unlock the door. The mechanical key (or better yet, a copy of it) can get wet while you go surfing or other water sport, something I don't recommend with the keyfob.

Ken Blake likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ That's what I do.
    I travel 6 counties with my company G3, and I don't want my car to become a 3400# lawn ornament if I fumble the snap and accidently lock the keys in one of my offices.....or the company’s badge system goes tango-uniform...or I just plain lose the keys.
    I took the keylet and tie wrapped it to an undisclosed exterior location, and I placed the keyfob (sans battery) in an undisclosed interior location.
    Now?
    Even if aliens come and transport my duty keys to an undisclosed extra-terrestrial location......I can still get home without waiting for "Larry's Tow Truck Emporium" to come and find me and my immobilized G3.
    Yes.
    I tested this setup.

Oh....BTW....by aliens I mean real aliens....not undocumented persons who may or may not have been born in the United States (a.k.a. 'illegal') aliens.
    Gotta keep PC......er….PC! ;)

lensovet likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife had to do it in her hycam, it worked just fine.

6. give dinosaurs a break

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In previous cars, my key batteries lasted about three years so I plan to change the batteries this time on the even anniversaries.

7. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a documented feature, and the Prius (2010 here) info display will tell you to do this when the battery is low.