1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In contrast to the FAQ does the 2012 PIP have an electric heater?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CaliforniaBear, Mar 9, 2013.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This Toyota information would indicate there is such a heater. I understand it only works in when the charger is plugged in.

"For quick interior heating in cold climates, the Prius Plug-in Hybrid features standard two-position front seat heaters and a supplementary electric heater."

Toyota | Toyota Introduces 2012 Prius Plug-in Hybrid

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some say yes, but i have never felt anything in the way of heat unless the ice has been running awhile. and i have done a lot of all ev driving in cold weather. 20 degrees outside, 20 degrees inside.:eek: that's a nice write up btw, i never saw it before, thanks!

3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That quote doesn't mention while it's plugged in...

I say no based on my 3 months of driving in below freezing temperatures. Honestly I can't say for sure :)

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. dinku

dinku New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the question I asked to Toyota

"I tried to use the AC button the remote when the car is charging using the cable provided with the car. The AC starts in the car but switches off in about 2 seconds. The required temperature set (20 C ) is not reached. The doors are closed and the car batteries are fully charged. What am I doing wrong?"

and this is the response I got

"Thank you for your question on the Prius Plug-in.
    The vehicle can only be heated if the Hybrid system coolant is hot and so the vehicle would need to have been used recently. If the vehicle interior is hot then the A/C can be used to cool it. If the vehicle has been left overnight with a low exterior temperature and the interior temperature is also below 20 C, it will not be able to warm the vehicle and so will not operate.
    We hope this helps."

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's is Erica's answer to this question:

Does the PIP have a pre-heater ? | Page 2 | PriusChat

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it has a ceramic heating element that works when the car is being used, but not when charging, correct?

8. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius Team response to Erica is dated Nov 29, 2011, the "Toyota Introduces..." article is Dec 5, 2011. Is it possible that Erica didn't have the correct information?

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Erica is the Prius Team (Or at least the 'head' of the Team) and she would have the proper information.

10. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is " PiP uses engine heat exhaust heat." Does that mean it's not engine hot water? Or is it exhaust manifold heat?

And also " The PTC has an electric heating element like Prius" What's a PTC?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Exhaust heat helps heat the engine coolant. Given time, engine coolant heats the cabin, but my fan stays off (automatically) until it is over 100 F. (Not sure the exact temperature)

"PTC ceramic: this material is named for its positive thermal coefficient of resistance (i.e., resistance increases upon heating). Most ceramics have a negative coefficient, whereas most metals have positive values. While metals do become slightly more resistant at higher temperatures, this class of ceramics (often barium titanate and lead titanate composites) has a highly nonlinear thermal response, so that it becomes extremely resistant above a composition-dependent threshold temperature. This behavior causes the material to act as its own thermostat, since current passes when it is cool, and does not when it is hot. Thin films of this material are used in automotive rear-window defrost heaters, and honeycomb-shaped elements are used in more expensive hair dryers and space heaters. - Heating element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very nice explanation Jimbo...thanks.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there is a misleading 'element' (pun intended) in erica's statement. 'the ptc has an electric heating element like prius which makes it more efficient than a standard heating system'. thi sounds like something that operates in ev when ice is cold, but i do not believe that is the case. i think it refers to something that operates in conjunction with ice to make heating more efficient.

14. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, it does appear that at least some Japanese PiPs get steering wheel heat…

[​IMG]

Some have asked about this. Looks like under "A" (radar) there's an icon for Steering Wheel heat. Wonder if it can be retrofitted to US cars?

lensovet likes this.